What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aurora OR to San Diego

The Owens Valley is spectacular if you get through it with low winds (it can get a little bumpy in the afternoon, with winds). Cross the mountains somewhere north of Reno, or over Tahoe if you like (this route will take you over Crater Lake as well), then fly down Hwy 395, past Mammoth, to Bishop, and down to the Mojave. Through Cajon pass into the LA Basin, and down to San Diego.

If you like mountains and a little desert, its pretty scenic!

Or you can follow the path you would take driving. :)

I-5 South,

The Sexton Pass ASOS just N of Grants Pass is useful for getting actual weather at the high point of the path through the mountains to Medford.

The Owens Valley is spectacular if you get through it with low winds (it can get a little bumpy in the afternoon, with winds). Cross the mountains somewhere north of Reno, or over Tahoe if you like (this route will take you over Crater Lake as well), then fly down Hwy 395, past Mammoth, to Bishop, and down to the Mojave. Through Cajon pass into the LA Basin, and down to San Diego.

If you like mountains and a little desert, its pretty scenic!

I like to fly from KLHM to Furnace Creek and take the "395" down. It's the singular most beautiful flight I've ever done..... in any season!

The Southern Sierra

I'm based out of Inyokern (IYK) near China Lake. I regularly fly up and down Owens Valley - and also go over the Sierra Crest and fly in the mountains from Kearsarge Pass to Walker Pass - realizing that the only engine out option is a remote mountain meadow (I'm an experienced Sierra backpacker with a rudimentary survival kit in the airplane).

Two constant observations:
1) If there is any surface wind in the valley, there will be turbulence in and on the east side of the mountains.
2) If valley winds are calm, there may be - probably will be - turbulence in and on the east side of the mountains.

Largest g excursion I've experienced is +3 - -1+ on the meter. But hey - you need some turbulence in order to keep the pilot awake!

I have taken Paul's route and it is very scenic. I would cross over earlier as the flight on the east side from KFalls to Reno is equally pretty. If weather allows, fly direct to Sunriver and then down, or cross over north of Mt. Shasta.
I just did the "west" side run basically staying along I5 all the way to Bakersfield then cut over the Mohave to Apple Valley and in from there. This route offers many more options for fuel and stops and is much less remote. This was in the Biplane, not the RV. The RV's speed and range make either route very manageable.
I would suggest the I5 route is the easiest. It is very pretty down and through Northern Cal then just a lot of agriculture. The interior route as mentioned can get windy.

Another option is to pass by Shasta then make your way over to Eureka and the start of the Eel river. Take this to the Russian river then on to the Napa Valley. You can tour the golden gate bridge and Marin headlands before passing though the bay area. Then pick up the 101 to Salinas valley all the way down to Santa Barbara. The hills are electric green this time of year.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestions. First time I've considered this adventure so trip planning is a steep curve for me

Back