What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Axle shim material

seagull

Well Known Member
Does anyone know what material the .5 degree axle shims are made from, aluminum or steel?

I need one and don't want to wait a week to order it. I have a mill so it is no problem to quickly make one. The gear leg and axle are both aluminum so I would think aluminum would be ok for the shim, and easier to machine.

I'm also assuming they don't taper to "0" but maybe .015"

The left axle has .5 degree of toe out, the right one is dead on. Probably not a big deal but it is too hot to fly so I am looking for projects.

Last edited:
The left axle has .5 degree of toe out, the right one is dead on. Probably not a big deal but it is too hot to fly so I am looking for projects.

I'm wondering out loud here, if there's any slack in the holes for the through bolts that hold the mains on, such that you could attempt to loosen, align, then retighten the main landing gear?

Might just be a dumb idea, or a lot more work, but you never know., for just 0.5 degrees of toe out.

I assume you are suggesting “rotating” horizontal the whole gear assembly. One half a degree is .140” over 16”. Assuming you wanted to split the error to both sides so each side would toe out 1/4 degree the gear mounting holes would need .140 play in the direction you wanted to move. I don’t know the outer hole spacing but I am assuming approximately 32” so split the error. It is unlikely the hole would have that much over size plus Vans says that no toe out is acceptable.

Major structure like landing gear is typically a near net fit. It is on the RV-12 as well.
Shims is the only practical way.

And, yes the shims are aluminum machined very close to a knife edge on the thin edge.

Back