What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

6 to 6a

billytime1

Well Known Member
Need I contact vansmountain.. or can someone point the way to convert my 6 to a 6a, have 6a engine mount and weldedments, any other parts that are needed, went to a nose drag for insurance reasons... less to insure..

Need I contact vansmountain.. or can someone point the way to convert my 6 to a 6a, have 6a engine mount and weldedments, any other parts that are needed, went to a nose drag for insurance reasons... less to insure..

It sounds like this would be on an RV-6 that is already flying and that you did not build?

The first thing you should do is get a copy of the RV-6 plans and look at the differences between the two configurations (there are some drawings that are specific to each model)

Just a heads up that this will be a fairly extensive project.... it is not just a bolt on some parts and go flying affair.
Particularly if the main gear weldments you have have ever been installed in another RV-6A. The weldments are custom drilled to the main spar center section bulkhead during installation, because the hole pattern is slightly different on every RV-6. So if your weldments have attachment holes in them, those will probably have to be welded closed first so that you can start over.

Just an FYI in case Scott’s well-based perspective gives you pause: While the insurance can seem a lot more for taildraggers, word on the street (including on mine) is that after 100 hours or so of RV tailwheel time the premiums are not much different. I would hazard to guess it would be a lot cheaper, and certainly a lot easier, to keep it as a taildragger. (Plus it will be a lot more fun! :p)
Good luck whatever you do.

Here's a picture from when I fit and drilled my main gear towers, just so you know what you are getting yourself into.

FP04122010A000ZV.jpg

Adding to what Scott said, don't forget modifications to the skin, fiberglass and paint work (fairings and cowl), and getting that TW weldement out of there will take some more sheet metal work unless it can be cut in place.

Is insurance really the only reason? The rates from Global aviation for my RV-6 have been quite reasonable for most of my 1500 hrs flying it. I suppose the instrument rating, prior tailwheel time and regular flying play a part as well, but I'll bet after some hours you'll be at or close to rates for a nose-dragger.

Tailmwheel

I fly a champ 7ac , one time I flew down the runway on one main then came around and didn’t it on the other,, the guy in the tower said “ that thing is fun to fly isn’t it” I said yes it is. I am cool with a tail wheel set up, the flying club I am part of got a nose dragger as we found that insuring a tail drag was going to be much more (avemco) . Resale is also a consideration. Either way I still have a 4 to build and currently posses 90%+ of said rv4, so a tail dragger is in the cards. The rv6 fuse is not built yet, just moved the jig into hanger and started to level it. Thanks for all the “ look out below “ tips. I will do my best
Btk

I am cool with a tail wheel set up, the flying club I am part of got a nose dragger as we found that insuring a tail drag was going to be much more (avemco) . Resale is also a consideration. Either way I still have a 4 to build and currently posses 90%+ of said rv4, so a tail dragger is in the cards. The rv6 fuse is not built yet, just moved the jig into hanger and started to level it. Thanks for all the “ look out below “ tips. I will do my best
Btk

Ah that clarifies things. For sure TW insurance will be a higher for a flying club, though I wouldn't use that for comparison if its individual ownership. And Avemco has the highest rates out there in my experience.

I've wondered myself what resale diff. is between -6 and -6A, but I suppose there are other threads about that.

Ah that clarifies things. For sure TW insurance will be a higher for a flying club, though I wouldn't use that for comparison if its individual ownership. And Avemco has the highest rates out there in my experience.

I've wondered myself what resale diff. is between -6 and -6A, but I suppose there are other threads about that.

Also.. I am building the plane .. nor married to it.. so selling it later to fund the 4 may happen or get a 6 . I am learning either way and loving the journey and the challenge

Back