What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

question for guys with 380-150 x 5 tires

scsmith

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to do my tire swap during my next condition inspection. But Aircraft Spruce doesn't seem to list any venders that have tubes for the 380-150 x 5 tires. Is it too much of a "stretch" :rolleyes: to make a 500 x 5 tube work with a 380-150 x 5 tire? Do I just need to call Desser directly?

380x150x5

Hello Steve,
I use these tires on my TO-540 powered RV-6. The people at Dressler said to use the Michlein 5.00x5 tubes. I've got over thirty landings on them without any cause for concern.
Blue RV skies,
Chuck Brietigam
RV-6 CT Cruiser
RV-3

Any 500x5 tube will work with the 380-150 tyres. The Michelin tubes are better as they let out much less air, so you will only have to pump them up every 6 months or so.

Pete

Anybody else?

I did find that Dresser does show a tube for the 380-150 x 5, so I guess I can order direct from them.

I'm just wondering what everyone else has done. Anyone else using 500 x5? One advantage would be that the 500 x 5 are available in the no-leak tubes.

A second question for you guys:
There is also a tire listed as 15/600 x 5. Is that essentially the same as the 380-150 x 5, or slightly different? How?

I am considering doing this change. I understand that the rolling resistance is reduced on grass with these tires. I enjoy grass strips and would like any benefit the change would allow.

Tell me a couple of things though, I would like to know more...

1) With my 500x5's, I get modest shimmy. Could I expect more, less or no change at all after the change?

2) I know that the last "5" is rim diameter. What do the other numbers represent? Is it aspect ratio? Please elaborate.

3) Are there any other benefits or drawbacks to the change other than for grass strips?

:confused: CJ

imperial/metric?

pretty sure those numbers are inches and millipedes!;)

15" tall/6.00" wide - on 5" rim

380mm tall/ 150millimetres wide - on 5" rim ( just to be silly!)

It is my understanding that the 380-150 is a metric size made for a 5" rim. No idea why it was made with a metric designation but it is is my understanding that it was used on some single engine Cessna retractables where the mains needed to be smaller (than what the non-retractable equivalent would have used) for clearance into the fuse when retracted.

Bevan

from Michelin tire guide, page 10

tire%20size%20codes_zpsrgxibzrl.jpg

I'd expect that if the tire is a bit bigger and weighs about the same or a little more, that yes, it would shimmy. Perhaps in a lower speed range.

But if it's better balanced it might not.

Dave

49clipper

Yes the standard tube works. I have been using mine now for severals years with no issues. I changed (to the larger tires) since I fly off a grass strip and it just gives me more area on the ground and is about an inch taller tire and about a 1/2" wider if i remember right. But, I had to go to the newer wheel pants when I changed to the larger tires.
RV-6

old post revived

Nice to see this old post come back alive for a bit. I've been using the 380 x 150-5" tires for about 5 years now, really happy with them. Very noticeable improvement on soft dirt, somewhat noticeable improvement on grass. All around a great thing. Yes, I still use the 500 x 5 Michelin AirStop tubes. All good.

Nice to see this old post come back alive for a bit. I've been using the 380 x 150-5" tires for about 5 years now, really happy with them. Very noticeable improvement on soft dirt, somewhat noticeable improvement on grass. All around a great thing. Yes, I still use the 500 x 5 Michelin AirStop tubes. All good.

Did you modify the 5.00x5 wheel pants or are there larger ones available from a builder/manufacturer (who I haven't found...)? Thanks.

I've been using the 380?150's for 300+ hrs. and they have been superb, especially on unimproved surfaces. I would estimate over 500 landings on the tires with very little wear showing. I used the stock 500x5 tubes and Van's standard pressure recovery wheel pants, and enlarged the openings as necessary. I did need to space the brake disc away from the wheel using a single AN3 washer to provide sufficient caliper/tire clearance. 35 PSI has been a good pressure.

Did you modify the 5.00x5 wheel pants or are there larger ones available from a builder/manufacturer (who I haven't found...)? Thanks.

Hi.

I used standard wheel pants, but I mounted them 1/2" higher with respect to the standard 500x5 tire than shown in the instructions. I did this during the build to gain ground clearance, but also in anticipation of the switch to the bigger tires later -- which I did. Once I put the bigger tires on, my ground clearance is a full inch more than standard. I can use a flat 2x4 as a wheel chock.

When you raise the wheel pant a 1/2", then the brake caliper sticks out through the side of the wheel pant a little bit, so you need to make a cut-out for that. Then I molded fiberglass blister fairings to blend over that. I think there is an old thread with pictures. I have made a few sets of those blister fairings to sell to other people. PM me if interested. $45 a set plus shipping.

And of course, you have to adjust the tire clearance cutout in the wheel pant as well. Don't scrimp here - it is amazing how much the tire deforms laterally on a cross wind landing. you really want to have a thumb width clearance along the sidewalls.

Real world diameter of the 380?

I was wondering if anyone has actually measured the diameter of an inflated 380 x 150 tire?

I know Grove makes a 6" diameter wheel for the 1.25" axle in a variety of different size piston/calipers. Are other wheel manufacturers who make a 6" wheel for a 1.25" axle? If so, has anyone used them?

Great thread!

Thanks.

I was wondering if anyone has actually measured the diameter of an inflated 380 x 150 tire?

I know Grove makes a 6" diameter wheel for the 1.25" axle in a variety of different size piston/calipers. Are other wheel manufacturers who make a 6" wheel for a 1.25" axle? If so, has anyone used them?

Great thread!

Thanks.

Charlie, it was a long time ago so I am going by memory, but I think the 380 x 150 - 5 is just about 1" bigger in diameter than a 500 x 5. And also about 1" wider? That I am less sure about.

Last edited:
According to this chart, about 1” bigger in diameter and width.

https://www.goodyearaviation.com/resources/pdf/databook-6-2018.pdf

Bevan

Great thread!

Thanks.

FWIW. I took the photo when I replaced my last pair of Desser Aero Classic 5.00x5's with the first pair of Desser Aero Classic 380x150-5's a few years ago.

i-ZxwTgPV-XL.jpg

Not exactly quantitative but perhaps the visual helps.

I have some NEW LAMB tubes give me a PM me if interested.

It is my understanding that the 380-150 is a metric size made for a 5" rim. No idea why it was made with a metric designation but it is is my understanding that it was used on some single engine Cessna retractables where the mains needed to be smaller (than what the non-retractable equivalent would have used) for clearance into the fuse when retracted. Bevan

Why, are they metric? Because it is made in CHINA and these are not aircraft tires. They were made for other utilitarian uses (carts, wheel barrel).

380-150 was never used with andy normally certified plane or Cessna retract or fixed gear, even for the nose gear. Cessna used different mains on the RG's (172RG, 182RG...) than the fixed gear version of that plane.... but they are a version of 6.00-6's.

Most Cessna singles use 6.00-6 for mains and 5.00-5 for nose. The RG's used a 15x6.00-6 which as you say was to give more clearance in the wheel well. The 5.00-5 is the common nose gears on Cessna singles fixed or retract. This is standard of course for the RV's.

Personally I wsa going with the LAMB tires for mains on my RV-7 and changed my mind. I swapped my Sam James wheel pants out (before installing). I sold the tires. I have some spare tubes for LAMB tires. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
380 tire

You must be looking at a wheel barrow tire . My 380 x 5 tires are Michelin general aviation tires.

Why, are they metric? Because it is made in CHINA and these are not aircraft tires. They were made for other utilitarian uses (carts, wheel barrel).

380-150 was never used with andy normally certified plane or Cessna retract or fixed gear, even for the nose gear. Cessna used different mains on the RG's (172RG, 182RG...) than the fixed gear version of that plane.... but they are a version of 6.00-6's.

Most Cessna singles use 6.00-6 for mains and 5.00-5 for nose. The RG's used a 15x6.00-6 which as you say was to give more clearance in the wheel well. The 5.00-5 is the common nose gears on Cessna singles fixed or retract. This is standard of course for the RV's.

Personally I wsa going with the LAMB tires for mains on my RV-7 and changed my mind. I swapped my Sam James wheel pants out (before installing). I sold the tires. I have some spare tubes for LAMB tires. PM me if interested.

I didn't know Michelin and Goodyear had their tires made in China. Mine are Goodyear and they don't say made in China anywhere, which is a US Customs requirement for them to enter the country

The 380x150-5 is the same size as a 15/600-5. Just a metric designation for the same tire. There are many aircraft tires that have metric designations.

They are made by Michelin as well as Aero Classic. Would hardly call them wheel barrow tires.

I believe they are used on the Robin which I believe is certified under EASA. I think this tire was chosen for the Robin for the same reason we like them. Better flotation on grass and dirt.

I am using the larger tires on my rocket. I had to open the front and back of the wheel pant a little to accommodate larger tire. You may not have to on your set up. I have quite a bit of time on the plane now and can say there was no big difference in handling with the larger tires. It did roll a bit easier on grass.
The aircraft has been flying since 2006 with the original Michelin tubes! I had decided to swap the tubes at my next tire rotation, just cause, maybe 14 years and eleven hundred hours is long enough to prove the worth of these tubes.

Very interesting, I used Dresser recaps two set ago but haven’t been able to get them lately. Has anyone increased the front tire size on their a model? This seems to be the week tire of the three.

Very interesting, I used Dresser recaps two set ago but haven’t been able to get them lately. Has anyone increased the front tire size on their a model? This seems to be the week tire of the three.

I don't think the accidents related to -a models are related to the tire as much as its front landing gear.

+1 for Michelin

You must be looking at a wheel barrow tire . My 380 x 5 tires are Michelin general aviation tires.

Over a year operating with mine off of a grass strip. No complaints. Like others have mentioned, you just have to open up your wheel pants slightly. I like the wider footprint they provide. No shimmy, wheel balance or out of round conditions. High quality aviation tire, NOT made in China.
I guess when I wear them out I’ll put ‘em on my wheelbarrow :D

Last edited:
I modified an RV10 nose wheel fork and pant to fit a 500x5 to go with the 380-150-5 on the mains. I really like the setup including the slightly tail low stance when sitting on the ground. RV7A

Last edited:
I modified an RV10 nose wheel fork and pant to fit a 500x5 to go with the 380-150-5 mains. I really like the setup including the slightly tail low stance when sitting in the ground. RV7A

Do you have a photo of your setup on the RV-7A that you can share? Did you lose much airspeed?

Thanks

The 380x150-5 is the same size as a 15/600-5. Just a metric designation for the same tire. There are many aircraft tires that have metric designations.

They are made by Michelin as well as Aero Classic. Would hardly call them wheel barrel tires.

I believe they are used on the Robin which I believe is certified under EASA. I think this tire was chosen for the Robin for the same reason we like them. Better flotation on grass and dirt.
OK these are not the LAMB 11-400 x 5 many used in the past. The 11-400x5 was made by Cheng Shin - China). They were used on ultra lights and experimental AC (e.g., Vari Ez / Long Ez). Spruce Aircraft still sells them. They also have "industrial" uses. Northern Tools sells the 11-400 x 5 size tire for equipment, carts, wheel barrel (but fewer plies and lower max load).

These 11-400x5 tires have mounted inflated OD about 1.5 inches smaller than a 5.00 x 5 AC tire and not as wide as a 5.00x5-5. The LAMB or Cheng Shin has 8 plys with Max load rated at about 800 lbs for the 8 ply.

Michelin makes a 380x150-5 (15/600-5) slightly larger than 5.00x5-5 great. The tiny 11-400 x 5 is about speed... I'm sticking with 5.00x5...

Last edited:
OK these are not the LAMB 11-400 x 5 many used in the past. The 11-400x5 was made by Cheng Shin - China). They were used on ultra lights and experimental AC (e.g., Vari Ez / Long Ez). Spruce Aircraft still sells them. They also have "industrial" uses. Northern Tools sells the 11-400 x 5 size tire for equipment, carts, wheel barrel (but fewer plies and lower max load).

These 11-400x5 tires have mounted inflated OD about 1.5 inches smaller than a 5.00 x 5 AC tire and not as wide as a 5.00x5-5. The LAMB or Cheng Shin has 8 plys with Max load rated at about 800 lbs for the 8 ply.

If Michelin makes a 380x150-5 great, that is slightly smaller than 5.00x5-5 great. I know different 5.00x5's vary in width and OD depending on brand and model of tire.

You are missing the point of this thread. This discussion is about main wheel tires, not nose wheel. 380-150 x 5 tires are substantially larger in diameter than typical 5.00 x 5 tires, and they are most definitely aircraft tires. See post #28 for a visual clue. I've had tires in that size from Desser, Goodyear and Michelin. All three brands are dimensionally nearly identical in that tire size. As Steve Smith points out in another post, they are standard on some European aircraft. A little bigger in diameter/more volume, thus better flotation on soft ground, etc.

Michelin:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/michelinairtires_06-01434.php

Desser/Aero Classic:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/aero_rib_380_150.php

Goodyear:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/gy_tires_06-01078.php

Last edited:

I don't know where the difference in numbering came from but there are a few airplanes that use this tire, not just of European origin. C172RG and C182RG on the mains.

I don't know where the difference in numbering came from but there are a few airplanes that use this tire, not just of European origin. C172RG and C182RG on the mains.

Bob, the C-172RG and C-182RG use a 15/600-6. Six-inch hub. Not the same as the 15/600-5 (5" hub) which is equivalent to the 380-150-5.

You are missing the point of this thread. This discussion is about main wheel tires, not nose wheel. 380-150 x 5 tires are substantially larger in diameter than typical 5.00 x 5 tires, and they are most definitely aircraft tires. See post #28 for a visual clue. I've had tires in that size from Desser, Goodyear and Michelin. All three brands are dimensionally nearly identical in that tire size. As Steve Smith points out in another post, they are standard on some European aircraft. A little bigger in diameter/more volume, thus better flotation on soft ground, etc.

Michelin:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/michelinairtires_06-01434.php

Desser/Aero Classic:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/aero_rib_380_150.php

Goodyear:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/gy_tires_06-01078.php

I never said anything about Nose Tire. The OP thread was about what size tube. So we both missed the point. But I do apologize for inducing thread drift.

Last edited:
Back