What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access panels

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
(following a thread on FB)
How many of you already installed the front of windshield access panels?
what did you use for sealing to avoid leaks?

How many are against and why?

(following a thread on FB)
How many of you already installed the front of windshield access panels?
what did you use for sealing to avoid leaks?

How many are against and why?

IMO they simply aren't needed. In this day in age of multiple EFIS screens, if you remove one you've got a big hole to get to stuff. I have the stock panel that's one-piece (vs the segmented version in the plans) with no special attachment (ie hinges, etc) and I've haven't had any issues. YMMV....

Access panel?s

Installed access panels in my 14 A . Just the ability to work from the outside I worth it IMHO. Sealed with a thin bead of fire barrier 2000.

I installed access panels on my -6A and seal them with

silicon "grease" --- scuba shops have it, or on Amazon. Works good and easy to clean off when needed. I use my panels frequently for work and inspections. Could not maintain the plane without them.

Ron

Could not maintain the plane without them.

Ron

Really? That seems to be a bit of an extreme position but I don't know your planes. I just completed my 6th condition inspection on my 10 and there's nothing that front of windshield access panels would have helped make the inspection any easier or better, and definitely nothing that would have helped maintain the plane over these past 5 years. Having said that, I see nothing wrong with adding these panels but I just don't see the point.

Last edited:
As always...

As always, what's good for one build may not be good for another.

I installed the access panels and could not be happier. If I had put them in sooner, I would have been able to use the space between the sub panel and firewall for placement of some of the LRUs, instead of trying to cram them all on the sub panel.

I will be using closed cell, self adhesive silicone foam weather-stripping for a seal. Available at McMaster...

Installed on my -14A

I have a QB fuselage - I am still in the build process - however i installed these as one of the first items i worked on with my QB. They have allowed me to do lots of work MUCH easier. Installation of rudder pedals, installation of brake lines, fuel lines, firewall penetrations, etc. For me these were a great addition. I will also appreciate them as I install and maintain remote LRU's, etc. Very happy i did this - no more laying on my back as i did for years with my -9A tip-up! Check this out.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RUpQViimltLjWU568f2eOQIw1zRaLwvy

Last edited:
I'm finding that the most needed hypothetical access panels would be in the glare shield, for access to the pilot (aft) side of the sub-panel from above. Will never happen of course - windscreen is in the way of any useful access from that angle.

I have access from below (by assuming the most painful sustained body position ever devised) and through the giant holes for the EFIS screens, so no real room for complaint.

The space between firewall and sub-panel on my build contains the FW ground block forest-of-tabs, the Dynon engine monitor module, the MAP sensor, SDS CPi2 controller boards and a harness connecting some left and right side avionics. Not much anticipated need to reach back there for routine stuff. The pilot side of the sub panel is easy access through the instrument holes except for the basket-of-snakes cabling coming out of the Advanced Control Module with some over-generous (IMO) service loop excess. The cables themselves really fend off any attempt to get to the Dsub retaining thumbscrews!

The most difficult access in the whole panel is typically trying to work behind the AeroSport 310 center stack with the carbon fiber tunnel covers installed. These side covers also house the alternate intake air and the parking brake Bowden cables, which I had the fortunate foresight to make separately removable from the panels.

Takes a contortionist with two wrists on each arm to hook up the GPS navigator tray connections.

I was able to get everything aft of the sub-panel and saw no need for an access panel. Plane looks much cleaner without it IMO. I just can't think of any reason that I would need it. I might think differently if I put a bunch of equipment up there, but with carefull planning, that shouldn't be necessary. My center stack avionics trays were done in such a way that they slide forward with the panel (have a service loop in the wiring), so also no need to get into that area for them either.

after owning a 6 for several years, I wanted a plane that would be dry when flying through rain.

Larry

Last edited:
There is a lot of room IP forward in the RV-10. I found it fairly easy to get to things behind the panel through the glass panel openings. Not so much on my RV-9A so I am still contemplating whether or not to install them. I do not like the idea of looking at them.

No access panels on mine

I only installed a few things forward of the sub-panel. The VPX-pro and CPI-2 main box. Both are installed with a hinge/pin set up on the firewall end and two screws accessed from below at the aft end. I also left service loops in the wires so I could remove the boxes and make/remove the connections with the boxes where I could access them much easier.

An access panel would make brake lines and rudder pedals easier to service, but no additional access to the electronics would make too much difference. The trade off for a nice clean, leak free front deck was worth it to me. So far I am good with my choice.

I have a QB fuselage - I am still in the build process - however i installed these as one of the first items i worked on with my QB. They have allowed me to do lots of work MUCH easier. Installation of rudder pedals, installation of brake lines, fuel lines, firewall penetrations, etc. For me these were a great addition. I will also appreciate them as I install and maintain remote LRU's, etc. Very happy i did this - no more laying on my back as i did for years with my -9A tip-up! Check this out.

Your share isn't public just fyi.

I installed them in both my RV-9A and the RV-10 I'm building.

I will be the first to admit that I'm lazy and will do a lot to make a job easier...I don't like lying on my head bent over a spar trying to work under the panel near the firewall for example. Yes the area from the panel to the sub-panel is easy to get to and I installed just about all of my avionics in that area. However, its not the only area with wires and other items (such as the voltage regulator and brake lines). Additionally its really hard to work on any firewall penetration (wire penetrations, fuel penetrations, etc) if I can't reach both sides at the same time. Here is an example of a good use of the access panels.

20200430_011637047_iOS.jpg

One compelling argument in favor in the -14/14A is access to the canopy struts. When (not if) they need replacing the access is quite nice.

Back