What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NEW STYLE JD AIR LATCH - anyone have a template?

MS19087

Well Known Member
Went to make the skin cuts yesterday and realized the template on JD AIR website is dated 2011 and was for the old design. Trying to get an updated template so I can make accurate cuts. Anyone have it? I also sent a note to Darwin. Thanks

No difference

Went to make the skin cuts yesterday and realized the template on JD AIR website is dated 2011 and was for the old design. Trying to get an updated template so I can make accurate cuts. Anyone have it? I also sent a note to Darwin. Thanks

Mark,

As I mentioned in our private emails, there is NO mechanical difference in the latches from 2008 to now. None. The only difference for the 14 is the one rivet that isn't there in the other models of RV's.

All that is needed is to enlarge the slot to accommodate the latch thickness. Do not install the rogue rivet yet. Once installed, mark the latch where the rogue rivet will be. Remove the latch and countersink at the mark so the rivet clears. Done!!

It is a very simple process. I will be working with a local RV14 builder to install a latch in his plane and get detailed photos and possibly a specific drawing for the 14. Again, the only difference is the extra rivet that is easily dealt with.

Thanks

I realized the issue was that when I printed out the template from the JD Air website that my printer scaled it to 90%. I have now gone back and printed it full size and the dimensions match up perfectly. Thanks for the feedback!

Back