What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio ProPilot and Skyview

GalinHdz

Well Known Member
Has anybody connected a Trio ProPilot to a Dynon Skyview using the ARINC module connections? If so how well do they "play together"?

:cool:

Not what you asked....but I have a GRT Hx connected to a Trio Pro, and I honestly cannot think of a single thing I would want improved. I have a -10 and, for approaches, recommend you get the auto-trim option on the Trio (if you have electric trim)

Has anybody connected a Trio ProPilot to a Dynon Skyview using the ARINC module connections? If so how well do they "play together"?

Not quite sure what you are asking. I have an IFR GPS, Skyview, SV ARINC module and Propilot and all ?plays well together?. In my arrangement the Propilot is independent of the Skyview and the SV ARINC module which is good for redundancy but means the Propilot cannot be controlled by the Skyview. As far as I am aware there is no way the Propilot can be directly controlled by the Skyview. I do have a GPS source switch and can select either the Skyview serial GPS or IFR ARINC GPS to drive the Propilot.

Fin9A

Not quite sure what you are asking. I have an IFR GPS, Skyview, SV ARINC module and Propilot and all ?plays well together?. In my arrangement the Propilot is independent of the Skyview and the SV ARINC module which is good for redundancy but means the Propilot cannot be controlled by the Skyview. As far as I am aware there is no way the Propilot can be directly controlled by the Skyview. I do have a GPS source switch and can select either the Skyview serial GPS or IFR ARINC GPS to drive the Propilot.

Fin9A
This answers my question. So you have the ProPilot connected to the IFR GPS via the ARINC module with the RS-232 as backup.

Which IFR GPS unit do you have and do you use ARINC or RS-232 as primary?

GTN 650 to the Propilot. From memory in my installation the ARINC from the GTN goes to the terminals of the SV ARINC module and continue on to the Propilot so the ARINC module is basically bypassed as far as just the GTN and the Propilot are concerned. Again from memory, the SV ARINC module converts ARINC from the GTN to the Skyview and has nothing to do with the Propilot. ARINC from the GTN is primary.

Fin

GTN 650 to the Propilot. From memory in my installation the ARINC from the GTN goes to the terminals of the SV ARINC module and continue on to the Propilot so the ARINC module is basically bypassed as far as just the GTN and the Propilot are concerned. Again from memory, the SV ARINC module converts ARINC from the GTN to the Skyview and has nothing to do with the Propilot. ARINC from the GTN is primary.

Fin
THANKS for the info, it really helps. :cool:

Trio recommends switching all three lines - one RS232, and one ARINC A-B pair - between the efis and the GTN. The RS232 data can do left right control with no turn anticipation. Turn anticipation, procedure turns, GS tracking are sent only over the arinc lines. I am not familiar with what the Dynon can or cannot do wrt generating these commands on its own.

In post #4 I said the Propilot cannot be controlled by the Skyview. However with the GTN in OBS mode the Skyview CRS bug will command the Propilot presumably via the ARINC module to the GTN then to the Propilot.

One advantage the Propilot has which is useful in IMC is the ability to automatically intercept a desired track regardless of the actual aircraft track. For example you take off on runway 18 with and outbound flight planned track of 010 degrees loaded in the GTN. After takeoff and heading 180 degrees press the servo button and aircraft will turn left and nicely intercept the 010 track. I stand to be corrected but I think the Skyview autopilot will not do this and will remain in standby till the CDI is near centered on the 010 track?

Fin 9A

Last edited:
Now that is good information to know. I knew if there was away to do something like this somebody on VAN's AF would have figured it out.

Back