What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Interior w/JD Air Canopy Latch

sjarrell

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a supplier who makes high quality side panels for the RV-14A that will work with the JD Air canopy latch? I would much rather use the JD Air latch than the stock Van's one, however I just learned that the Classic Aero side panels that I currently have on order will not work with them.

Thanks!

The Classic Aero side panels come with an entirely new latching system that is much higher quality than stock.

Have you already installed the JD Air latch?

The Classic Aero side panels come with an entirely new latching system that is much higher quality than stock.

Have you already installed the JD Air latch?
I thought that I understood that the Classic Aero latch was just a separate inside handle. Is that not the case?

Does Classic Aero still use the same outside handle / latch that Van's provides? I really like the finished look and functionality of the flush mounted handle that the JD Air latch provides.

Thanks!

I thought that I understood that the Classic Aero latch was just a separate inside handle. Is that not the case?

Does Classic Aero still use the same outside handle / latch that Van's provides? I really like the finished look and functionality of the flush mounted handle that the JD Air latch provides.

Thanks!

No, it's much more, an entirely new latching system. It's all new superior quality parts and sits slightly recessed, no modification of the side panel is needed. The biggest plus is the entirely new mechanism that you install on the inside that is behind the side panel. You end up with a high quality stable latch that doesn't wobble around and feel cheap like the stock parts.

If you haven't already cut the panel for the JD Air latch, the Classic Aero latch and side panels is the way to go!

No, it's much more, an entirely new latching system. It's all new superior quality parts and sits slightly recessed, no modification of the side panel is needed. The biggest plus is the entirely new mechanism that you install on the inside that is behind the side panel. You end up with a high quality stable latch that doesn't wobble around and feel cheap like the stock parts.

If you haven't already cut the panel for the JD Air latch, the Classic Aero latch and side panels is the way to go!

Thanks very much for the information. Obviously I misunderstood what was provided by Classic Aero. Their interiors are gorgeous, and they are a real pleasure to work with!

We haven't cut anything yet so we still have options!

Do you happen to have a good picture of the Classic Aero latch from the inside and outside?

Thanks!

Just to be clear, the outside appearance and function of the Classic Aero latch is the same as the Van?s original. To lock it, you still would need to hang a small padlock. The internal mechanism, which is hidden behind their side panel, is nicer in appearance and function, but is essentially the same as the Van?s latch. The JD Air ?lexus? latch will not work with the Classic Aero side panels, at least not unless they would be willing to make significant modifications. Perhaps, there are other side panel vendors willing to make a panel that would work with the ?lexus? latch.

Just to be clear, the outside appearance and function of the Classic Aero latch is the same as the Van?s original. To lock it, you still would need to hang a small padlock. The internal mechanism, which is hidden behind their side panel, is nicer in appearance and function, but is essentially the same as the Van?s latch. The JD Air ?lexus? latch will not work with the Classic Aero side panels, at least not unless they would be willing to make significant modifications. Perhaps, there are other side panel vendors willing to make a panel that would work with the ?lexus? latch.
Thanks very much! I understand Classic Aero and JD are talking, however as you said both would have to make significant changes and I personally doubt that's going to happen.

Thanks to everyone for the input. I sincerely appreciate it!

JD Air Latch

Hi Guys,

Luke and I have been talking and we have came to a resolution. I will be modifying the JD Air Parts latch to accommodate the Classic Aero interior. And he will be making a side panel to accommodate my latch!!

Fortunately the latch will be modified in such a way that it will be "one latch fits all," while maintaining the superior functionality and great looks. We were both trying to avoid major expenses to meet the needs of the RV 14 builder.

I will have these latches available as soon as the necessary drawing and machine program can be modified. They will be available in natural aluminum color and the really popular red anodized.

Hopefully Luke will jump on and let everyone know the status.

Thanks,

Hey Everyone,

Just to add to Darwin's comments. Like he said, we've worked out a solution that should work for everyone. I want to temper expectations just a little as far as time frame goes though. This is a fairly involved change, and we'll have to fit it in between our current obligations to existing orders. Our schedule is very full at the moment, and I'm working some pretty long hours. I will try to get it done as soon as possible though :)

If you have any questions, just give us a call or email.

Best regards,

Hi Guys,

Luke and I have been talking and we have came to a resolution. I will be modifying the JD Air Parts latch to accommodate the Classic Aero interior. And he will be making a side panel to accommodate my latch!!

Fortunately the latch will be modified in such a way that it will be "one latch fits all," while maintaining the superior functionality and great looks. We were both trying to avoid major expenses to meet the needs of the RV 14 builder.

I will have these latches available as soon as the necessary drawing and machine program can be modified. They will be available in natural aluminum color and the really popular red anodized.

Hopefully Luke will jump on and let everyone know the status.

Thanks,

AWESOME! That's the perfect solution. The best of both worlds. I'm THRILLED! As I told you if we can help either Luke or you in anyway please just let us know.

Best regards,

Hey Everyone,

Just to add to Darwin's comments. Like he said, we've worked out a solution that should work for everyone. I want to temper expectations just a little as far as time frame goes though. This is a fairly involved change, and we'll have to fit it in between our current obligations to existing orders. Our schedule is very full at the moment, and I'm working some pretty long hours. I will try to get it done as soon as possible though :)

If you have any questions, just give us a call or email.

Best regards,
Thanks Luke. From personal experience I totally understand what it's like to build a business and juggle a lot of balls at the same time, so I sincerely appreciate your commitment to make this happen.

Best regards,

Also THRILLED to hear this!
I?m just on wings so a few years for you both to work this out will be just fine :)
Thanks for the collaboration, it?s so great to see.

Might be a dumb question but I?m no where close in my build to considering canopy latches. Do I understand that the Classic Aero latch is an upgrade that is purchased from Classic Aero? I didn?t see it on their website. Where can I see or order this particular latch?

Might be a dumb question but I?m no where close in my build to considering canopy latches. Do I understand that the Classic Aero latch is an upgrade that is purchased from Classic Aero? I didn?t see it on their website. Where can I see or order this particular latch?
According to Jeremiah at Classic Aero, they supply a modification to the stock latch in their side panel kit and a new handle that looks good with their panel. It is not a complete replacement (including the flush handles on the outside) like the JD Air latch is.

It is not a complete replacement (including the flush handles on the outside) like the JD Air latch is.

It is a complete replacement for the stock Van?s handle, but it operates the same way and fits into the standard fuselage slots. It is just a bit nicer in appearance and the function is a bit more solid feeling. ;)

It is a complete replacement for the stock Van?s handle, but it operates the same way and fits into the standard fuselage slots. It is just a bit nicer in appearance and the function is a bit more solid feeling. ;)
I should qualify that what I meant by "complete replacement" is that the JD Air handle includes the replacement of the outside handle with a flush mounted one instead of a little "tab" that sticks out of a slot in the side of the airplane. While the "slot and tab" outside latch is completely functional, it's not the look that I want on my airplane.

I'm not knocking the Classic Aero products in any way. My complete interior with them is going into production in the very near future except for the side panels, and for those I'm going to wait until the ones compatible with the JD Air latches are available. Classic Aero makes GREAT products.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that prefers the appearance and robustness of the JD Air latch over either the stock Van's handle or the one provided by Classic Aero. Otherwise, Luke from Classic Aero and Darwin from JD Air wouldn't have both committed to making fairly significant changes to both of their products to make this option available to Classic Aero customers.

nCMEOnG4-lbQDEcDLBMSrWakuyT0ctaYytlxeldYH_IBRme-8deVkmwy9ttvHOBhqCrs6FE4X9bp0IpdQ4KjolNCZTXVPJ8rTQlmiZ_ztoqWQbKagKlZST8sL8Gg1wK72DZ_a40ZMPRwxN938NhkpCk9KBGUAh4mPxFCgYyW_C-6iEW5GJXnZpZRP9Z4kUAWs-oDNxec74VaOMVgQQrK5GnQpBgIk1QuD-7dgVuBBajD5l72bzvi3rBktPt8kn21H__EZzzRhZPrYzUG6hU4zou7WM2XEgFRSWpJ6XtevgW1VMM3RBTKtddvuCbCgngYccdQueM-8qWBftFJLk-2fftYXbDTg84oayOieeZnZ3WOK8f99XnWcHcG-SJt3geilSZDwMgtRd1YLm4VpOmNh5zxgvmUVuDrC4bt0nKqKRPmsOOas9jjX2D6DP1dZiY9byDldoOWy7gPSe4T_T4UGvtoktej3wzk-lQLv_ol0X_uOS_-UI2oVluZjfl9RgZNSa4A0HhNtlwabAnzJCJxAs6zP3eipz4-glUx-xrm3D1GTM8Td30KQV61ZwxFegqn5RMVA36qTmN-bcaI5UTpmxlS7s1cNdxMKMJazcWMVKlLWsq99UnG1V3J9mTzHXrMva7mO6VMJRImbN5Qc3tgvJa151yzLx7s5EPapdqOnDJrK2gzk6Qqxlthcee3JlfIbc2zY1lal60k-HRGCTzjYqO6KLYZAbuPUT-Z5dBrrMOOgFF5WeTInhs=w800-h319-no

IZg-5PEBsR3NfLpwHWcvpP2haJC9B7bPVcjqj-jFI1KahAoFJyrlEamSgUz33u6Q2HFPoo1xCeCRCcHbaGkkQOOAhxURHyDlFik8CqqOf6sysebMk5P-NE7pQtv8M2Zbz454-YLk-aUw-2VCd2vcLTg0BWpM_sm19XKNOOBhW-q95hBYKjD0mbaNIffGcia-YQXk3Ph3EL5qvyCZcPfP2jRXwUZXpITzg83Qfx3345eGcGPKUWXMQsEvmwHpTXvOAZkfPqo5AqBpmi35Lk0_KhGGBa2ezXRt-7Ug5xnUoTBhb68ECeyRobZ5kx_VU5ryzVhFI7d3O0T_Ou9LS_9mOPanH39uAoF2lnsz7l8WUFT-fsm3xVJGAiOzREegtpyldjbc-Le-0km7BInZyYT4huhzMio3Oq4DeZDumXCqYfgwrq2mHXZV0HasMuZ0r__AVVTA7v3Dr9dcE8N0dv1_eUNwcPuodJDEs5zhepGM-pJwpPFnzk01yrrTJafmjMMg_Zd68RfUCAIiAjKOVgsCYy7BnSpHt77qIh2qrHoolRdHkw2_FLLIrflqUUabpkEcUvxExqDgTSTBGyc-5xAn3yZg9ao-z_IsANrASS8ptVkrExl8hqlZQ0v8-QGiNbsf2l-mkI1NNp2F8Z50-_iBIoaP8DIC97TQB2Gk-4KDBLmdPv0Gok95SH955HbL5c058LMenbG8ae6Qyhus5cFrOC0gdukxIQLbI_Fns6sd1lX5qCssFVdS3mY=w800-h519-no

NBK3EO_TbZFXpMsd9woXt9jeIKLMagvKVfruPBTuRXbjXIq1w9_opidzOUJUMHPNh4mTk_EQ7pnSEsHtmAh2auLqduuchquw3dmb_SrGZGJsnhNbwVTromla10jvFLAxdyTB6dHw6oTUSVu7cCE8mYzyooWqQ5CsyBwli6kL8da2Lvj0lnLHzCqrIgr1uZ5cZQzarQfdM3mET3oXUpnE3ikbC_xIPxybjiX3Ml-ilt0CWFo5tvFr7__Lwc8CbzC36xNlMOCtVe7264AUpelQ4M4XmlwqzG3VomzoW2k1Cjq_aQWWGjVkwe2aEQ2OXvV0i6aeDXI7O0P4v93GGrE3nUg61dI6Fsabre_jmoNasiUi290AQGZEg9r-Am_iosXy-7VzusYGKcv54mC3Z3tmnacveezFX1JTlWPUWqA2L_a9zvXNsq_VOEqn3RrDxkLxlpZ6mJXz2yHpNv1KmduUaKZyklhm0NgPcQTCrDu5G_v3VMFvrP2el2WpkgYMg0JoV5XsBNxnHVrtQBE-df8PVlzS4oGczfjdHzEnv90n12Y-A8kPoh5QqYjlp_PgeQJ5WKp8XidNncf-t1ij9qGq7QaVzGeDZDzyM4_2nIzx2qI7l7zrOl4rbkZwLlUnxJeEgYAeqEeBOao4XCC_1iTWutnyZ66QfQGQQszHUqSrlvpAUBNOs7DcZdpTxdzvRBVp3EX4Vfch7_CQcxdRUXP38z4aB4Q2Xvk3dQ-7wpif-4jUsFSSQ3J5gxg=w800-h531-no

Ok, I just wanted to be clear to those unfamiliar with what comes with the Classic Aero side panels.

BTW - who made the side panels in your photos of the JD Air handle? They look nice and appear to fit the JD Air handle very well

Ok, I just wanted to be clear to those unfamiliar with what comes with the Classic Aero side panels.

BTW - who made the side panels in your photos of the JD Air handle? They look nice and appear to fit the JD Air handle very well
That photo came right off of JD Air's site. I asked Darwin whose panels they were as well and if I remember correctly he said that one of his customers had done the modification to his own panels to make them fit like that. Whoever did it is certainly more talented than I am! :)

Update

The new latch has been designed, a 3D model printed and reviewed by Luke at Classic Aero.

The new latches for the 14 are in production now and will be available soon. I'll have both Red anodized and natural aluminum.

The new latch has been designed, a 3D model printed and reviewed by Luke at Classic Aero.

The new latches for the 14 are in production now and will be available soon. I'll have both Red anodized and natural aluminum.
AWESOME! Thanks!

Anyway we can get a sneak peek at what these look like?

Just a little clarification about the pictures posted. The side panels shown are our Sportsman II side panels for an RV-7 or RV-9. They were made by us to work with Darwin's latch handle. We've done this quite a few times over the years. No problem on an RV-7 or 9.

Just a little clarification about the pictures posted. The side panels shown are our Sportsman II side panels for an RV-7 or RV-9. They were made by us to work with Darwin's latch handle. We've done this quite a few times over the years. No problem on an RV-7 or 9.

Thanks for the clarification Luke. They look VERY nice!

Back