What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Question, 3rd MFD in the middle with GTN650 or just GTN750?

ebridges

I'm New Here
I'm still in the planning stages however I like to plan ahead even though I know avionics change with the wind. I'm planning on using all garmin stuff, G3X touch, GTN etc. but I can't decide on the configuration. I will have a PFD on the left and an MFD on the right but in the center I will either have a 2nd MFD with a GTN650 below it or no 2nd MFD and put a larger GTN750 in the center. Seems like it's done both ways frequently and I just wanted to hear from people that have similar setups. This will be a family traveling machine, IFR capable going 3-500 miles. Thanks for any input!

Is there another pilot in the family??

If so, consider how the right seater will see the panel.

I am curious as well

I am also still in planning mode for my RV-10 but quickly approaching decision time.

I was thinking of going with a 3rd G3X and the 650. My thoughts were the larger G3X was more flexible and I could see it easier for normal operations.

If I needed to revert to it due to a primary G3X failure, the middle display would probably be much easier to see and manage and still allowing the right side pilot to have a screen as well. I think the cost may be similar.

What functions do we lose by using the 650 vs the 750 in addition to a bigger screen?

Any chance Garmin will have a remote mount 650 that can send its display on the G3X?

I am left handed and I might spend some time in the right seat flying. I just don't know yet.

When was the last time Garmin update the 460? Is it about time for them to announce something on that front.

The GTN-650 has the same functions as the GTN-750. The only difference is the GTN-650 has a very marginal display, and the GTN-750 is just marginal. In other words, your EFIS displaying the GTN-650 track and such is far superior to the GTN-750 display. Save your money.

Two displays work just fine for a right seat pilot. I have flown the RV-10 many hours in the right seat and the seeing both SkyView displays is not an issue - and I even had the displays offset to the left.

Recommendation , mount both EFIS displays and the GTN-650 as high as possible. Put stuff like audio panel and autopilot box lower.

Carl

GTN Navigators

I am also still in planning mode for my RV-10 but quickly approaching decision time.

I was thinking of going with a 3rd G3X and the 650. My thoughts were the larger G3X was more flexible and I could see it easier for normal operations.

If I needed to revert to it due to a primary G3X failure, the middle display would probably be much easier to see and manage and still allowing the right side pilot to have a screen as well. I think the cost may be similar.

What functions do we lose by using the 650 vs the 750 in addition to a bigger screen?

Any chance Garmin will have a remote mount 650 that can send its display on the G3X?

I am left handed and I might spend some time in the right seat flying. I just don't know yet.

When was the last time Garmin update the 460? Is it about time for them to announce something on that front.

Good Afternoon,

The GTN 750 can display approach plates while the GTN 650 cannot. With your G3X Touch display, you will have these available on the larger GDU touchscreen in either case. The GTN 750 can control the GMA 35 remote audio panel while the GTN 650 cannot. You have the option of using the GMA 245R remote audio panel however, which is controlled through the GDU rather than the GTN 650.

Please feel free to send any questions over to us directly if you would like, our email address is [email protected].

Thanks,

Justin

I'd recommend dual GDU460s and a GTN650.

I just don't see the need for the GTN750 with the larger touchscreen G3x.

I'd recommend dual GDU460s and a GTN650.

I just don't see the need for the GTN750 with the larger touchscreen G3x.

This is what I did in mine... only have two hours in it, but I really like it. Not sure that I?d get much use out of a 3rd panel unless i was flying from the right seat or had a passenger that needed to... which i dont see happening.

Honestly, the only time I?m really going to need to touch the GTN is if I have to load an approach, which I dont think you can do from the G3X.

Love the way this one came out... 750Xi would be my choice all day long.

IMG_7704-1200.jpg

I've flown both the 650 and the 750 and much prefer the 750. +1 The layout above that Walt shows is my recommendation.

I went with two G3x Touch screens a 650, panel mount audio, etc. I left space above the center stack for an IPad mini. It works great as a 3rd screen and its portable for flight planning etc. I use Garmin Pilot so not much more a 750 or another screen can give you. I went with the panel mounted audio panel because it’s a little quicker then bringing up the audio on the screen then switching, but not that critical. I think if I did a due over, I would go with a remote audio which would free up room for a standard size I Pad.

Walt, I see you have the Infinity Aerospace grips. Tell me. how you attached them to the sticks, please. I just fitted and wired mine and now contemplating this final step - I'm torn between drill and tap for set screws and glue 'em on with E6000.

Thanks and don't mean to derail.

Walt, I see you have the Infinity Aerospace grips. Tell me. how you attached them to the sticks, please. I just fitted and wired mine and now contemplating this final step - I'm torn between drill and tap for set screws and glue 'em on with E6000.

Thanks and don't mean to derail.

Do not glue. Drill the hole in the stick for the grip center bushing as per the install instructions. Any approach other than this is not safe.

Do not forget to ?clock? the grip for either left hand or right hand control. Having them straight forward in not as comfortable.

Carl

I am also planning an all Garmin panel and also will use the plane hauling family IFR.
I am planning three of the G3X touch 10" screens. One will be a PDF and two MFD's. However, I will put a switch above each MFD so either or both can be manually reverted to a PFD just by flipping the switch. With those three displays plus the FlyEFII display the panel is pretty full so I built a center console (removable) that will hold the intercom, a GTN650, a GNC355 (backup IFR GPS and second comm), and the GMC307 autopilot control head.
On approaches the center MFD will be used to display the approach charts in full screen mode making them very viewable even for my older eyes.

I went with the 750 in the middle. I fly a 750/650 stack at work and just love the 750 for ease of use/programming, and the display size is fantastic. Plus it looks sharp as it?s the same width as your transponder/other radio/autopilot controller.

Garmin panel with GTN-650

The only thing that the 750 does better than the 650 is take up space and cost more money. I have flown with both and having the larger screen is nice but in my opinion it is over kill with all of the other screens already in the machine. I use my ipad with ForeFlight running on it suction cup attached to the windscreen which gives me map position and a approach plate if I desire. To each his own but my system gives me tons of information and redundancy.
https://link.shutterfly.com/7wW7FBWeD5

The 750 does plenty better than the 650. It displays traffic/weather better, is easier to program, and is much easier to operate in turbulence. I get that everyone has a preference and different setup, but to say it doesn?t do anything better is crazy. I fly with both daily for work. I almost never touch the 650.

Since I'm not very glass panel savvy I'm wondering what, if any, information can be displayed on the GTN 750 vs the G3X? Can the G3X essentially be a remote screen for the GTN or is there a lot of stuff that can only be done on a GTN that would be difficult or frustrating on the 650. Obviously the GTN is a Nav/Comm GPS but would you rather see maps/charts on the GTN750 or the G3x? My thinking is the GTN is sort of limited/specific in its use but the G3X can display most of those things while also showing engine instruments etc. This is the reason I'm thinking about using the smaller GTN650 and going with another G3X. Is my thinking sound or am I missing something?

Last edited:
Yep - having a real EFIS screen to see traffic, weather, terrain and such is far superior to either the GTN-650 or GTN-750.

My advice, there is a lot better band for the buck options to spend money on other than getting the 750 over the 650. But shoot-fire, I fly SkyView so the 650 is just to support IFR precision approach, not for display. I do not get the updates for the GTN-650 other than NAV as terrain and obstacle updates are free with the SkyView system. The GTN-650 plays well with the SkyView system.

Carl

Back