What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPS 175

mv031161

Well Known Member
Anyone knows where to get the installation manual for the new Garmin GPS 175 to be used on experimental w G3x, GTX45R, GTR20, etc.....also using the GPS 175 as gps waas source for G3x and G5 and gtx45R

What's in the box

The Garmin GPS 175 includes the antenna, but does it also include an antenna cable and/or the TNC connectors?

GPS 175 Antenna Coax

The Garmin GPS 175 includes the antenna, but does it also include an antenna cable and/or the TNC connectors?

The GPS 175 does not include the coax or coax connectors for the GPS antenna. This will need to be fabricated to meet the requirements of your specific installation.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Justin

How to get fuel flow data from Dynon into Garmin 175

I am trying to figure out how to get fuel flow data into garmin 175. I am running Dynon system and see fuel flow on the main screen but want to utilize fuel planning features of Garmin 175.

Should this data feed from one of the serial port?

I'd like to get the installation manual for the GPS 175, but it seems that it doesn't exist anywhere I've been able to search/find.

Why does Garmin restrict this info?

I just want to see the specifics for the installation BEFORE I buy so that I have an idea of what wires need to be added to make this work in my airplane.

If anyone has the installation guide, PM or email me!

I'm in the same situation, I don't understand why they will sell us the 175 and we can install it in our experimental but can't get the Install Manual.
An explanation would be nice.

GPS 175 Manual

I'm in the same situation, I don't understand why they will sell us the 175 and we can install it in our experimental but can't get the Install Manual.
An explanation would be nice.

Our IFR Navigators are not exclusive to the EAB community. They are installed in certified aircraft as well, and in those cases must be installed per STC requirements. There are regulatory and certification consequences of this.

When you purchase a navigator like a GPS 175, the Garmin dealer you purchase it from should provide you with the installation manual. If they do not, contact us directly and we can get you a copy.

We can provide you with any specific information from the installation manual that you may be interested in before you purchase any equipment, but we are not able to publish the installation manuals for this type of equipment on our public facing website.

Please feel free to send any questions you may have to [email protected] if any questions come up as you are considering installing one of these units in your aircraft.

Thanks,

Justin

Connected to GTR 225

I installed this setup in my son's airplane and can't seem to make this function work:
Should the GNX 175 send frequencies to the Garmin 225? It looks like it should according to the manuals, but the frequencies don't seem to do anything on the 175 when touched, and I don't see an option to "send".
175 configured for Aviation output 1 on serial 3, and 225 configured for aviation in.

Thanks.

Vic

I installed this setup in my son's airplane and can't seem to make this function work:
Should the GNX 175 send frequencies to the Garmin 225? It looks like it should according to the manuals, but the frequencies don't seem to do anything on the 175 when touched, and I don't see an option to "send".
175 configured for Aviation output 1 on serial 3, and 225 configured for aviation in.

Thanks.

Vic
I'm having the same issue with the GNX 375 that was just installed in my plane - touching frequencies on the 375 does nothing and no option to "send" to the G3X or GTR 20.

Push frequencies

I am almost 100% sure that I read in earlier posts by the g3 expert that the 175 and 375 does not push frequencies to the radios.

The G5 install manual for experimental contains a lot of the wiring information needed for the 2" navigators.

GNX 375 Tuning

Thanks.

Vic

Vic,

The Aviation Ouput of the GPS 175 provides GPS position data to the GTR 225, so that the GTR can cross reference the current aircraft position with its internal frequency database. It does not however allow you to tune the standby frequency of the GTR 225.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

I recently installed a GPS175 and GTR225 in my plane. Love both.

My understanding was that the 175 didn't "push" frequency information to the 225 like my Aera 660 used to.

If I now go ahead and connect the two, what I will I see on the 225 display?

Thanks...Peter

GTR 225

Hi Justin,

I recently installed a GPS175 and GTR225 in my plane. Love both.

My understanding was that the 175 didn't "push" frequency information to the 225 like my Aera 660 used to.

If I now go ahead and connect the two, what I will I see on the 225 display?

Thanks...Peter

Peter,

That is correct, the GPS 175 can provide GPS position data to the GTR 225 however. The GTR 225 will use that GPS position data to cross reference its internal frequency database.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks Justin,

So what is the benefit of cross referencing the internal frequency database? Will the GTR 225 display show anything differently? Or is it just an internal thing between the two units?

Thanks...Peter

GTR 225

Thanks Justin,

So what is the benefit of cross referencing the internal frequency database? Will the GTR 225 display show anything differently? Or is it just an internal thing between the two units?

Thanks...Peter

The GTR 225 has Nearest Frequency lists of a few different kinds, it needs GPS to generate them. Also, it uses GPS determine and display the station identifier for the selected frequency.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
g3xpert question . . . Future feature?

Vic,

The Aviation Ouput of the GPS 175 provides GPS position data to the GTR 225, so that the GTR can cross reference the current aircraft position with its internal frequency database. It does not however allow you to tune the standby frequency of the GTR 225.

Thanks,

Justin

g3xpert . . .
Will this be a future feature? It is very useful - had it on my previous 796 and loved it.

Ditto for me my Aera 660.

I had to use the 2 serial ports on the 660 for other inputs--XM Weather and MAPMX from the 175.

Thanks...Peter

Back