What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sioux 3x gun won?t tease

MS19087

Well Known Member
I?ll be placing a call to Sioux but has anyone had any experience with my issue. Gun has only been used 6 months and having difficulty getting it to tease when I lightly pull trigger. For -3 rivets I typically set gun to 30-35 lbs pressure. Is that too low? Any higher and the parts risk get pretty banged up. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks

Oil

Haven't had that particular problem, but has your gun been oiled regularly with air tool oil? Apologies if it is too obvious a question.

I have a fairly new Sioux 3X and have the same issue - feathering trigger doesn't feather well at all. I end up using my much less expensive gun more often than the Sioux.

Please report back what you discover.

As to pressure - we were taught at Synergy to use 40 psi for -3 rivets and 60 psi for -4. This is a general rule and not applicable in all cases. Sometimes we needed higher pressures and/or longer bucking times (like with a long offset extension, for example).

Last edited:
Took it apart

I had a similar problem with my gun. I'm not sure what brand. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it, put it back together. Worked fine.

After that I made it a point to give it a shot of light oil every week or two of use.

Oil and pressure

I have an in-line oiling reservoir on my regulator. If anything perhaps it got too much oil. I will try bumping pressure to 40. Still plan on talking to Sioux. Thanks for you input.

1cc Marvel mystery oil. Or ATF. Then run a mushroom set (low pressure) against something appropriate until it begins to come out. It will be a mess for a bit but usable.

Last edited:
I was also underwhelmed by the Sioux 3x trigger. Sort of like an AK47 trigger!
My 30 year old ATS $79 special is much more proportional in trigger response. I use that gun for 3/32 rivets.
The Sioux definitely hits much harder and is my go-to for 1/8 rivets.
I will also try some more oil and see it that helps.

I assume by you post that it used to work fine. If that is the case, similar to mine, once it started to act up, before I took it apart and cleaned it, oiling didn't help. Not only did the low trigger not result in soft hits, sometimes full trigger just stalled.

If it used to work well, I would suggest something in the gun trigger or mechanism is clogged or dirty.

Once I took it apart and cleaned the mechanism, oiled and reassembled it worked fine.

Never really teased well from new

I assume by you post that it used to work fine. If that is the case, similar to mine, once it started to act up, before I took it apart and cleaned it, oiling didn't help. Not only did the low trigger not result in soft hits, sometimes full trigger just stalled.

If it used to work well, I would suggest something in the gun trigger or mechanism is clogged or dirty.

Once I took it apart and cleaned the mechanism, oiled and reassembled it worked fine.

I did exchange emails with Sioux tech support today. Their suggestion:

Try the following;
Before using the tool to install rivets again, squirt some WD40 in the inlet bushing, attach your airline and run the tool with 90psi at the tool. Try this a couple of times then add a couple of drops of air motor oil, reset the pressures that you are working with and try it. Basically flushing the tool out.
Despite inline air oiling things can get gummed up over time ? dirty air can mix with the oil and contribute to this.

You are aware there is an oil reservoir in the handle (base of the handle next to the air inlet)? You can fill this to full and keep it topped up from time to time.
I was not aware of this feature - i need to check my gun.

I will try this . . .

Sioux 3x

Mine has always worked perfectly. I can geather single hits. I oil it every use with four drops of tool oil. I'll have to look for that reservoir.

Sioux 3x

Mine has always worked perfectly. I can geather single hits. I oil it every use with four drops of tool oil. I'll have to look for that reservoir.

Sioux 3x

Mine has always worked perfectly. I can feather single hits. I oil it every use with four drops of tool oil. I'll have to look for that reservoir.

I had a similar problem with my gun. I'm not sure what brand. I took it apart, cleaned and oiled it, put it back together. Worked fine.

After that I made it a point to give it a shot of light oil every week or two of use.

The USAF had us oil our air tools (that we are going to use) with 3 drops at start of work session....Never had a problem with air tools.

Back