What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A start in West Chester, PA

Wow!! I really can't believe I'm writing this, but I'm joining the ranks of RV builders!! Put in my order today for the Emp/Tail kit as a first step in this process! After doing a lot of lurking here, a lot of consideration about my mission and a demo ride with Joe Czachorowski, the new East Coast Vans Sales Rep, I just had to jump into the deep end of the pool. I absolutely could not be more excited to get going. As all of you surely know, I only have the vaguest sense of what I'm really getting into right now. But I love the brand, love this plane in particular, and relish the challenges that are ahead.

With thanks in advance for your help, I'll start with my first 2 questions...

1) Any other builders in the West Chester area? Would love to connect.

2) Am I nuts to start on this build without first going through one of the builder classes?? Don't see any EAA workshops for 2020 posted yet (other than at Air Venture), and while I am anxious as heck to get going I want to do it right.

Now to figure out my build space (basement for now in frigid PA) and tools.

Christmas came early!

Rick welcome! Set your priorities. It?s much easier to get private pilot license than airworthiness certificate for your homebuilt. It?s surely possible to do it simultaneously but it?s a lot of time and roubles. Nearly impossible with full time job and a family. I completed my airplane and took intensive flight training before flying it.

Start a thread about your project and maintain it as you progress. It?s fun to watch how the pile of aluminum parts becomes a living machine. Set a goal, say, to fly in 2026... :)

Rick,

There are builders in your area. One I know flies out of Brandywine.

I do suggest a builder class to cut down (not eliminate) replacement parts orders. I also suggest ordering a couple of practice kits. When the output looks good, you are ready.

I think you can do this by 2025 given your other challenges!

Dennis

good deal

you will learn a lot by doing this. it is truly the best form of education.

then you can fly under the sun and moon at the same time. watch for down drafts when the solar eclipse hits you. :) .... but there are no down drafts. :)

solar%20eclipse_zpsyvyzyr5n.jpg

Last edited:
+1

Rick,

There are builders in your area. One I know flies out of Brandywine.

I do suggest a builder class to cut down (not eliminate) replacement parts orders. I also suggest ordering a couple of practice kits. When the output looks good, you are ready.

I think you can do this by 2025 given your other challenges!

Dennis

Taking a class is worthwhile even if it isn?t local. You?ll learn a lot in two days.Have fun!

Suggest you go to Atlanta and take the Fundamentals course at Synergy Air South. I learned a lot more with their class than the two day EAA class.

http://synergyair.com/

If you can afford it, take the Empennage Class too. In two weeks, you will have a completed tail and tail cone - plus you will learn what excellent build quality looks like.

There are a couple of RV-14's under construction there now, as well as a bunch of 10's.

Suggest you go to Atlanta and take the Fundamentals course at Synergy Air South. I learned a lot more with their class than the two day EAA class.

http://synergyair.com/

If you can afford it, take the Empennage Class too. In two weeks, you will have a completed tail and tail cone - plus you will learn what excellent build quality looks like.

There are a couple of RV-14's under construction there now, as well as a bunch of 10's.

Vlad - Thanks for the well wishes and for the sobering suggestion that 2026 should be my goal!! In truth, my goals are modest right now...Learn, Learn and Learn some more.

Katana Pilot - Appreciate the heads-up on the Atlanta classes. Will check-out.

I used to live in West Chester, and think I had the first RV there in 1999. There will be classes in Frederick, Md, which is about 2-1/2 drive. Sponsored by our EAA chapter. I thought the schedule was posted on the EAA site, but if you need it I can get for you.

Sheet metal training

I took my sheet metal class at in Boone IA with W&C aircraft works. I would have been lost had I not taken the class. Cleaveland Aircraft Tool is also there so you can come home with lots of goodies. ;)

Thanks for the heads-up on the EAA classes, Dan. I looked the other day and nothing was posted for 2020, but now I see that classes for first part of year and posted and most are already full!! Ugh. Waiting list. Patience, Rick..patience...

Rick, I am an RV14A builder working out of Princeton Airport (39N) in New Jersey. If that's not too far for you, I would welcome a visit for some shop talk and maybe a little practice riveting. Let me know. PM me if interested!

Rick
I am based at Brandywine. I have built a 7A and now currently fly a 12 I built. I have many spares including s bolts and rivets. Should you find yourself short drop me a line.

JEFF

Hi Rick, you're going to have a blast and learn so much. If you haven't taken an RV build class, I highly recommend it, since you'll learn what it takes to build a fine airplane. Keep in mind that you'll spend many, many hours on this project which can leave loved family members feeling neglected, so a careful balance is important. You'll find the RV-14 plans and materials are excellent, precise, and easy to follow. I just wrapped-up the empennage kit, which took me over 300 hrs over two months. Feel free to reach out with any questions and happy building!

Rick, I also started a -14A project as a student pilot. It is a challenge to work on the private license and build at the same time, but it?s also terrific fun. I did not do a building class but benefited a lot from the practice kits (toolkit and airfoil). If you can get through the practice kits OK without too much grief then you?d probably be OK foregoing a class. I am now balancing the challenges of completing my empennage and my instrument rating at the same time. So, welcome to the RV community and to the incredible adventure that comes with it!

Dan

Hi Rick, you're going to have a blast and learn so much. If you haven't taken an RV build class, I highly recommend it, since you'll learn what it takes to build a fine airplane. Keep in mind that you'll spend many, many hours on this project which can leave loved family members feeling neglected, so a careful balance is important. You'll find the RV-14 plans and materials are excellent, precise, and easy to follow. I just wrapped-up the empennage kit, which took me over 300 hrs over two months. Feel free to reach out with any questions and happy building!

Thanks much for the comments, Marty. I am finding the full-on obsession is absolutely a challenge to maintain the balance of which you speak. And I haven't even gotten my Emp/Tail kit delivered yet!! (hopefully this coming week)

I will absolutely reach out with questions and updates. Overwhelmed by how cool, welcoming and knowledgeable this community is...amazing.

Rick, I also started a -14A project as a student pilot. It is a challenge to work on the private license and build at the same time, but it?s also terrific fun. I did not do a building class but benefited a lot from the practice kits (toolkit and airfoil). If you can get through the practice kits OK without too much grief then you?d probably be OK foregoing a class. I am now balancing the challenges of completing my empennage and my instrument rating at the same time. So, welcome to the RV community and to the incredible adventure that comes with it!

Dan

Dan: Many thanks for your thoughts. I have an airfoil practice kit ordered, and we'll see how that goes. I still would like to do a SportAir workshop in Frederick, but the next one if full and I'm struggling to be patient. Trying to remember this is a marathon, not a sprint!!!

Synergy Class

I took both the EAA and the Synergy Class ay Synergy South, EAA first.

Synergy advantages:
Smaller class size: my buddy just attended, they had two instructors for 6 people. One builder came from Toronto.

EAA: 1 instructor for 15 people

Tools- state of the art tools @ Synergy, EAA didn?t have adequate air compressor leading to negative learning

Instructors- Synergy - they are building RV?s everyday plus they are good instructors and good builders. EAA, well versed and experienced though lacked instructional skills.

Program: Synergy- you are there for the build, EAA you go thru the EAA manual, informative, though a lot of stuff, you probably won?t employ on the -14.

Workspace- Synergy...comfortable hangar with lots of room, workbenches etc. EAA- cramped classroom

Synergy: 1 day, EAA 2 days

Costs- differential was negligible

End game: both programs you will finish the project but the Synergy methods will build confidence and skills, without having to wait around for ? what do I do next, plus they tell you ?the why?.

Hands down - my $.02 Synergy, all things being equal.

Go to Troy at Grov-Air in Colorado. It is a two day course ($425) and you learn all the basics for building an RV. You learn things that you might screw up if you don't take the course. For instance, the DIY rib straightener, not getting crisp dimples, vixen file to clean up edges of thick parts, just to name a few. The class teacher how to use all the tools, what tools to use, and you build a section of an aileron with two end ribs, a middle stiffener, and flush set rivets. On that project you practice bucking rivets, back riveting, and curving the front edge of the aileron.

I went with my wife and both kids (12 and 14). We were the only ones there, except for one person who showed up to work in his empennage. You can bring your spouse for an extra $50. If not a spouse, then a person that might help you out. You build one aileron section for a team of two. Best it is someone you will work with long term, so you get to do most of the work.

It was a fun weekend. I think that the girls had fun. It was nice to bring my wife because although she has not done much on the build, she has help buck rivets that you can't do solo. If she had not gone, she would not have known the basics and you don't want to learn the basics on the plane, especially at the point where two people are needed. I always used the rivet gun and she held the bucking bar.

We also got lucky and got a ride in his father's RV-10 which just happened to be in town when we were there. It sold me on building an RV.

Finally, when you get to the canopy, go to the EAA RV fiberglass course. I really liked the method to do the canopy layup.

cheers

Hi Rick! Congratulations on your start. I used to live right there, out near Unionville and learned to fly at New Garden.

You might find a great deal of info and help with Van's East Coast rep. The website provides the following:

East Coast Representative
Joe ?Zack? Czachorowski
[email protected]
New Garden Airport (N57)
Chester County, PA

Best of luck!

Get the new VAf backlit sign, tool box and flap practice kit. Build all three. disassemble the tool box and flap practice kit and re build. Get double experience and MOST importantly experience in taking out rivets. A skill you will have to learn might as well be on sheet metal you don't need to fly.

See my link in the signature for dropbox plans with relevant threads from here in the right places.

Hi Rick! Congratulations on your start. I used to live right there, out near Unionville and learned to fly at New Garden.

You might find a great deal of info and help with Van's East Coast rep. The website provides the following:

East Coast Representative
Joe ?Zack? Czachorowski
[email protected]
New Garden Airport (N57)
Chester County, PA

Best of luck!

Robert: Thanks for the reply and apologies for the delay in sending my thanks. Yes, have already met the East Coast Rep, Joe. He's a terrific and helpful guy, but his job really is just too easy...he gave me a test ride out of New Garden in the 14A, and I was smitten. All reservations about actually doing the build seemed to fall away.

I'm doing my PPL training out of Brandywine, but will hopefully end up with hangar space (which is tough to get!) at New Garden, as there's a big group of RV folks there. Seems like the right place to be.

Rick,

Here's another alternative to the classes, it's a "how to" video by an RV builder that'll show you all the basics you'll need to build an RV. The 14 is the most advanced kit with the best instructions. Between this and a practice kit, you should have all you'll need to get started with confidence.

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1578154402-60-207&browse=videos&product=builder-basics

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?ident=1578154402-60-207&browse=videos&product=builder-basics2

Back