What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headed to OSH- where to stop in SD for fuel

polkaking27

I'm looking for a good stopping point somewhere in South Dakota. I'm coming from Salt Lake City and SD seems to be a good halfway point for me. Ive stopped in Yankton and Custer County on previous trips. Does anyone have a good suggestions as to a good airport to stop at for lunch and fuel.

Thanks

Likewise! I?ll be overnighting in SD after a full day of flying. I?d like to camp on the field if possible. Custer is at the top of my list but that could change with weather.

KVMR - Vermillion, South Dakota

Very friendly FBO helped with the self-serve fuel and gave us the courtesy car.
The University of South Dakota is there, so there's a variety of restaurants.
Best is probably Red Steakhouse. They have a lunch menu.

Cheers, David
RV-6A KBTF

Louise spoke very highly of Yankton where she spent two or three nights last year, waiting on Oshkosh weather. Said they had a real party going!

I am looking at Winner for a possible overnight if I make it that far in one day - long runway, the correct fuel, and hotels close by.

Paul

++For Yankton

Have stopped there three times. Airport manager let us overnight our -7 for $25 and threw in a courtesy car.

The EAA chapter at Yankton had quite the lunch spread last year. We stopped there on the way back from Oshkosh on our way to SLC and had a good meal, then made our way to the next fuel stop at Rock Springs, WY.

Granite Falls Minnesota (KGDB) is only a little farther than say Yankton and they have an amazing World War II museum and pretty decent gas prices.

Brandon

KRAP

We have stopped at Custer, Rapid City, Pierre, and Yankton. We only stayed over at Custer and Rapid City.

I prefer Rapid City for staying over because of plenty of access to hangars and its fun load KRAP into your PFD. That is afternoon hail country. There is a small hangar at Custer but it might already by taken or they may have gone home. I am sure others have hangars but we are typically trying to get up early to avoid the nasty bumps over WY.

Good luck.

I lived in Vermillion (KVMR) for quite a few years, It's a very nice airport if your just looking to fuel up and grab lunch in town. Pay attention to wind because it can really get blowing in the summer and is often a crosswind to the only runway. It's unattended unless the airport manager, Denny, is at his hangar; say hi for me if he's there. for overnights, I don't think there is any hangar space available. There is a crew car, the keys are just left in the terminal with the sign out sheet. Red (Can be kind of slow if you're in a hurry) or Cafe Brule are my two favorite lunch spots.

However, if I was stopping in the area for Oshkosh it would be at Yankton. It's a nice airport with a crosswind runway; I've never been there during Oshkosh week but have heard from many people they really roll out the red carpet for the week.

Paul, if you do end up in Winner say hi to Dave & Tess for me, they own the FBO out there now. They used to be based in Vermillion and are a couple of the nicest people you'll ever meet.

Last edited:
I like Faith Municipal Airport (D07). It's great if you're coming from the NW. It has decent fuel prices, you can camp next to your airplane if you want, or you can get a free ride into Wall, SD, stay there and hang out at the Corn Palace for dinner... ;)

Last edited:
Back