What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Catto Prop Tape

rph142

Well Known Member
This is a data point for the few people running leading edge tape on Catto props. I removed the thin leading edge tape that Catto provides and saw a 5-7kts increase in speed@2500 rpm. I confirmed the speed increase over several flights in various atmospheric conditions. I now average 163-165ktas @8000ft & 2500 rpm where I used to average 158-160ktas. I didn't test my top end because I can already exceed Vne.

This is a data point for the few people running leading edge tape on Catto props. I removed the thin leading edge tape that Catto provides and saw a 5-7kts increase in speed@2500 rpm. I confirmed the speed increase over several flights in various atmospheric conditions. I now average 163-165ktas @8000ft & 2500 rpm where I used to average 158-160ktas. I didn't test my top end because I can already exceed Vne.

That is interesting. Catto told me to expect about a 3 knot loss. I am torn on this. I would really like the speed increase, but don't want rain damage. The tape really works. I flew an hour through rain over the weekend at 2700 with no damage.

Larry

I was expecting 3kts or less given that the tape is only 0.030" thick. My prop is a 2008 version and was re-pitched in 2013 so perhaps the airfoil is more sensitive than his newer props.

Back