What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Prop?

KEG

Patron
New, first time builder! I finally 'pulled the trigger' and have ordered my 12iS empennage kit. I hope the VAF community does not get tired of me asking questions!

Here's one. I know it's a long time before I have to make this choice, however, I am interested in any thought (pros and cons) on the 2 blade prop of the optional 3 blade?

New, first time builder! I finally 'pulled the trigger' and have ordered my 12iS empennage kit. I hope the VAF community does not get tired of me asking questions!

Here's one. I know it's a long time before I have to make this choice, however, I am interested in any thought (pros and cons) on the 2 blade prop of the optional 3 blade?

1. Lower cost

2. Much easier to set pitch, getting the hub level and prop blade, when setting the pitch.

3. Much easier to remove and reinstall the lower cowling on the 2 blade prop. 3rd blade tends to get in the way, making it more difficult to reinstall the oil cooler, and lower cowling.

4. Con... probably doesn't look as cool.

5. Might sacrifice a little bit of performance.

ELSA or E-AB

If you want to certify the plane as an ELSA, you need to stay with the prop Vans supplies as part of the kit - no deviations.

I just checked Van's website and did not see an option for a 3 blade prop.

As a first time builder, I think there are many advantages to building exactly per the plans and certifying it as an ELSA. After you are flying, you can make changes. My guess is that you will be happy with the 2 blade prop.

Back