What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How tall is the tail section on the RV 12

How tall is the tail section on the RV 12? The brochure says 8’4” high - is that the tail or is that the height of the canopy completely open? The reason I ask is that I have 8 feet 4 1/2 inches height in my 2 1/2 car garage where I’ll be putting it together and keeping it when not flying. I know I can raise the nose some to lower the tail if necessary (But) this is more of a curiosity question for now.

A little over 8' is the tail height measurement ... my garage/workshop rollup door opening is a little shy of 8'.
With a Harbor Freight car dolly (the one with castoring steel wheels) under the front tire, the RV12 rolls in & out with a couple of inches of tail clearance.
The canopy has to be closed before moving in or out.

I always knew that Vans RV-12 tail height was wrong. I designed and built my hangar and the overhead beam is exactly 8-ft 1-inch above the floor. Measured several times and is per the design plans. I could always move the RV-12 in and out with the tail clearing the 8-ft 1-inch beam. (And the floor and ramp concrete was dead level.)

If you do, just make up a nosewheel trolley out of 2x4. 4 castors underneath and make it so the nosewheel sits in snugly. Worked for us during build to clear our door.

tale of the tape

Finally remembered to measure it today.
Van's is correct (of course!).
My RV12 on cement slab, sitting on its tricycle tires, the highest point on vertical stab fairing is 100" (8'4") from the floor ... 94" with dolly under the nose wheel.

Perhaps lower air pressure in main tires? I would imagine if main tires were down a little bit the tail might drop a few inches...

optical delusion

So I had previously said the open canopy was "much" higher and figured I'd better check myself.
Measured (eyeballed) to a tangent to high point (Aircraft Specialty canopy lock protrusion) while again sitting on tires, and it looks very close to 100" (8'4") from the floor.
I wouldn't have guessed it's almost exactly the same as vertical stab height.
Bet Van knew.

Back