What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

searching for used RV 12

michele nicol

I'm New Here
Looking for "late model" 12. Short of physically inspecting the plane on the west coast e.g.(I live in Florida) how do I determine if the plane has all,or some, of the updates.I realize Vans has made some good modifications recently to make it more suitable for training.Is it done by kit number(serial number),date of manufacture,or...? Is the year advertised the construction finish date or the year of kit purchase? I have three new pilots(one is an A&P) in my family and these modifications would be helpful. Thanks for any help you can give.

Looking for "late model" 12. Short of physically inspecting the plane on the west coast e.g.(I live in Florida) how do I determine if the plane has all,or some, of the updates.I realize Vans has made some good modifications recently to make it more suitable for training.Is it done by kit number(serial number),date of manufacture,or...? Is the year advertised the construction finish date or the year of kit purchase? I have three new pilots(one is an A&P) in my family and these modifications would be helpful. Thanks for any help you can give.

Go to the classifieds, here is your-12...

FS: Flying RV-12 Connecticut

RV 12

I have a late 2017 low time RV 12 that had a pre buy inspection by Vic Syracuse for a potential buyer last Dec. Had to fix a few minor problems that he found. Nothing major but enough to cancel the purchase. Have done all the updates/service bulletins.

Plane is in Punta Gorda Florida. Give me an email and I can send you pictures if interested.

To actually answer your questions, there is no way of knowing by year started or year finished. You have to ask the builders if they incorporated the changes. Everyone builds and buys the sub-kits at a different pace. Likewise the same for basic and optional equipment. I'd go through the service bulletins and make a comprehensive listing of all options and changes and then inquire the seller. The seller should have all covered in the log book by the annual condition inspection. Examples as follows:

SB 18-03-06 replaced throttle Spring
SB 18-02-03 inspect anti servo tab skins for cracks. SB 14-11-03 Wingskin/Spar rivet wear- compliance inspection, no rivet wear
SB 14-12-06 Cracking F-1206F Bearing bracket brace. compliance inspection, no cracks
SB 16-05-23N/A, WD-1230 Nose Fork Cracks- Replaced Nose fork with improved model 09/2017
SB 16-08-01 Stabilator Bearing Inspection- compliance inspection, no play.
SB 16-08-24 Loose WD-1204 Engine Mount bracket attachment rivets- compliance inspection, no rivet wear.
Notification 2017-05-19 Soft Engine Isolators- Replaced with new 10/2017. All AD, SB and SA have been complied with and noted in logbook and checklist

My 12 may be coming up for sale too after Oshkosh unless I soon find hanger space for it. All options including dual Skyviews so it will be in the upper price level.

Last edited:
Back