What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IFR Safety Pilot. Carson City Area

Kupde

Patron
Any folks in the Carson City Area interested in being a safety pilot for me in an RV-10? Plane is based at KCXP.

Kevin Updegrove

Would you be interested to fly to KPVF to do the work? I will be happy to safety pilot and perhaps you can return the favor as some point.

Safety pilot

Kevin,

When I am home, which I will be all next month, I would be happy to help. I live up in Reno, and I have my plane is based at Stead.

Check you PM for my contact info.

Brian

Do you need to be IFR rated to be a safety pilot???

If not, I am over in Dayton and used to have a 10.

Mike

you do need a current medical, and Basic Med doesn’t count unless you are the PIC.

Bob, having trouble trying to figure out your statement:confused:

Wouldn't I be just a passenger until he puts the hood on, then I become PIC??

Therefore, basic med is not an issue ------ or am I missing something here.

Bob,

Wouldn't I be just a passenger until he puts the hood on, then I become PIC

This is a source of endless debate. Yes, you can be safety pilot under basic med, and you can log it as PIC, IF you are actually the PIC defined right at the start of part 91: the person responsible for the safe and legal operation of the aircraft. This is not a responsibility to be taken lightly. This can be difficult if the person under the hood is also the owner. If you think the wx is deteriorating, will you be the final authority on deciding to go home early? If you end up off-airport, will you tell the FAA you were pic and therefore a legal safety pilot? Will you tell the owners’ insurance company that he was PIC so he has coverage? (Most policies require a named insured be PIC). And hope the two don’t talk to each other? Will you tell both parties that you were swapping responsibility back and forth on a moments notice? In practice it often falls to a court to decide who was PIC. My favorite case was one where the court held that the PIC was actually seated in the back seat of a Bonanza.
I suggest people do what they think is right, keeping in mind that the insurance company and the faa may choose to take a hard line. (Remember, the faa hates basic med).

keeping in mind that the insurance company and the faa may choose to take a hard line. (Remember, the faa hates basic med).

And I am personally aware of times where the FAA & Insurance have had differing determinations on who was PIC (both valid, for their own purposes)

Thanks that really cleared up the issue.....

Halfway between don’t ask don’t tell and don’t get caught.

Kinda like the VFR pilot tooling around in true IFR smoke conditions out of an uncontrolled airport and ATC “traffic at your 11 2nm unsure of their intentions not in contact with them.”

Back