What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Insurance

Jpm757

Well Known Member
I recently purchased a 50X50 stand alone hangar, and am wondering about insurance on the structure. For those hangar owners in the crowd, how and with whom have you insured your hangar?
Thanks

Hangar too?

Talk to your homeowners insurance? If they can?t write it they may recommend a company. Another data point.

Hangar insurance

I had to get a commercial building policy on my hangar. Couldn't find a homeowners insurance that would touch it. Was actually cheaper than similar valued homeowners policy's. Call Drew Hargrave in Pensacola FL. 850-432-9912. Hiles McLeod Insurance Inc. Policy is through a company I think in PA.

Both of my hangars are covered on my homeowner's policy. Of course, they are located on my "homestead" property directly behind my house.

As a matter of fact, several years ago, I collected for hail damage on them. Insurance is with USAA.

We’re just like Mel - hangar covered by USAA on the same policy as our house because they are on the same property.

My hangar is on the county airport, hence a land-lease. However, USAA covers the hangar as "other structures external to the residence", with a limit to 10% of the policy value, but that definitely covers the value of my hangar. If it were valued above that amount, currently ~$70K, I could elect to increase that percentage for additional premium, or get a separate policy. (my old hangar is not valued above that, so I'm good to go).

It's important to note that it does not cover anything that would be considered an aircraft or aircraft part, but it does cover the structure, tools, furniture, and of course the beer fridge...

Last edited:
Falcon

My hangar is on a public airport (Jones Riverside Tulsa) and on a Tulsa airport land lease. Get insurance for structure and contents (RV is covered on separate policy) via Falcon and is around $750/yr for $80K coverage.
Figs

Similar to Mel and Paul, my hangar insurance is the same policy as my homeowners insurance. AAA (Auto Club) insurance has my homeowners (hangar and house on same lot) as well as my auto insurance. There is an extra discount for both.

I also have a free-standing hangar, so I can't just tack its insurance on to my homeowner's policy. Mine is on a ground lease with the city. I insure it with

Melina R. Daggett,
Account Executive
Southwest Aviation Insurance Group
Scottsdale Municipal Airport
14415 N. 73rd Street, Suite 115
Scottsdale, AZ 85260
Ph. (480) 483-7844 phone; (800) 324-6787
Fax (480) 483-8299 fax
[email protected]

They've had the account for a while now and I've been satisfied. However, I haven't had any claims so I can't say how well something like that will be handled. But it's been easy dealing with them so far, and I expect to use them again next year.

Dave

I have mine insured through geico underwriters as a storage building on my home policy. They did not care that they were 30 miles aprart. I gave them the building address and it was approved. The only caveat is that the max is $50k insurance value. That will cover the building and door if anything happens to it.

We have found that Farm Bureau insures and offers good rates in OK for stand alone hangars on leased pads. My home insurer would not cover our hangar.

Back