What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Over-Squeezed Ailerons

Louavul

Well Known Member
Curious if anyone here has experience or knowledge dealing with over-squeezed ailerons, how does over-squeezing effect flight characteristics?

I've got'em, I did it trying to correct ailerons that were pillow-ie.

I have a heavy left wing, read more that I can retain on the fix, both here and on the factory web site. I don't find any discrepancy other than the over-squeeze.

Builder docs, chapter 5, (5.7) address beating the trailing edge with a wooden block and a hammer to correct. Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm thinking re-skinning might just be the cleanest fix.

Thanks,

I have squeezed and bumped -3,-4 and -6 ailerons with great success. The -7 should be the same. I used a wood block with a radius to match the trailing edge. A firm bump with a rubber mallet will unbend the trailing edge. Go slow, it won’t take much.

Over squeezing will make them very stiff in flight. Under squeezed will make them too light, sometimes to the point of unable to trim to neutral.

Curious if anyone here has experience or knowledge dealing with over-squeezed ailerons, how does over-squeezing effect flight characteristics?

I've got'em, I did it trying to correct ailerons that were pillow-ie.

I have a heavy left wing, read more that I can retain on the fix, both here and on the factory web site. I don't find any discrepancy other than the over-squeeze.

Builder docs, chapter 5, (5.7) address beating the trailing edge with a wooden block and a hammer to correct. Has anyone done this successfully?

I'm thinking re-skinning might just be the cleanest fix.

Thanks,

I unsqueezed slightly using the wood block technique and it worked like a charm. It took much lighter and fewer blows than expected. My 7 had a heavy wing, I checked everything adjusted a few things that were tweaks but the real change was from the hinge slotting. The final tweak was the TE of the aileron. It took about 8 changes and several flights in-between to ensure it got exercised in various speeds, altitudes and fuel balance.

Steven,

I recently got my Seven signed off and flying. I had a 'heavy' left wing. I was apprehensive about squeezing the right (light side) aileron, but I did it with astonishing results! I couldn't be happier with the results. I over squeezed one pocket and carefully tapped the trailing edge with a wood block with success.
In my case, there was about a 1/16" to 1/8" gap under the straight edge near the trailing edge between the stiffeners (underbent). Now the manual aileron trim works as it was intended.

Doug

Doesn't the 7 have 3 piece trailing edges with the wedge?

Yes and No. The only control surface on the 7 with a riveted trailing edge is the rudder. Everything else (elevators, flaps, and ailerons) are folded.

Last edited:
Back