What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Log During 40 Hour Flyoff

All,

I am flying of the first 40 on my RV10 and would like to know what I should note in the "Description of Inspections, Tests, Repairs, and Alterations" notes. I am 33 hours in and the flights are pretty uneventful, so not much to report. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Truitt

I suggest that you get a copy of EAA's flight test manual and follow the flight test cards. That will show you the kind of stuff you're supposed to be testing and logging. Good flight test records are nice to have, and help create a POH that is specific to your aircraft instead of just using the generic published numbers.

All, I am flying of the first 40 on my RV10 and would like to know what I should note in the "Description of Inspections, at different weights up to max gross (Vo, V1, Vne), did you calibrate airspeed. Pwr on/off stalls, accelerated stalls. Measure performance, take-off, landing, climb, cruise/max speed vs power settings, fuel burn at different weights. Fuel level calibration.

POH in aircraft is required by FAR's.

Last edited:
Yes.
One of the first deficiencies i look for -- and find too often.
It doesn't need to [and shouldn't, IMHO] be the typical 5,862 page attorney/ marketing mess you get with a new Cessna TTx / whatever, but there really should be some ready reference that details operational requirements and techniques. Anybody says she 'don't need that, i know my airplane' just told me i don't wanna fly with them.
There are baseline examples out there, or use the EAA cards, from which to build your own specific to your experiment.

POH in aircraft is required by FAR's.

There is no regulatory requirement for a pilot operating handbook or aircraft flight manual in an experimental aircraft. It is a very good idea to develop one specific to your aircraft, but it is not required by regulation.

I?m also about 33 hours in. I thought EAA test cards a bit of overkill for a well sorted home built like a RV for a typical (not test) pilot. My opinion is do the Vx, Vy flight cards, stalls, best glide tests, climbs to 10,000?. Do some cruise flights you can do in your test area to get speeds and fuel burns. In early flights you get the plane sorted out for level flight, maneuvering performance and get your engine broken in and temperatures in line. Rather than doing extensive specific tests to validate instruments, I used Flight following, FlightAware and analysis of Dynon data as well as repetitive flights to same destination to validate accuracy. This provided all data needed for my POH. My data appears typical for a RV-7A. I suppose if you are doing aerobatics and have more test pilot experience or have made modifications, the stick slaps and other more challenging tests may be warranted. For me I choose not to risk doing anything that could produce a spin and is outside my piloting skills.

Back