What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

tip-up canopy seal

dhall_polo

Well Known Member
Anybody care to recommend some weather seal for the canopy?

(1) the seal that runs along the longeron...
(2) the seal across the front on the subpanel bulkhead
(3) seal around the canopy frame*

* someone offered to me that I should not seal around the canopy frame since that's intended to be where air escapes the cockpit for good ventilation. I have a sikaflex installation, so there is more of a gap between the forward canopy and the frame than there would be for a stock screw-type installation.

Planning to use the stock Van's seal for the front deck.

I used this seal for the sides (www.mcmaster.com part #1120A111)

And I put a targa on for the rollbar area so no seal there.

I'm researching the seals people are using for their tip-up and am curious what a "targa" is. Excuse my ignorance.

targa strip

A targa strip usually refers to a 3 or 4 inch wide strip on tip up canopies that is attached to the trailing edge of the tip up. When the canopy is closed the targa overlaps the roll bar so there is no open seam between the canopy and roll bar/ rear window.

Thanks for the info! I've seen those before but didn't realize there was a name for the mod.

Seals

I have been using the following seals for #1 and #2

http://www.mcmaster.com/#bulb-seals/=i4975f

Style 5 and 9

I used the thinner seal for #1 and #2 and a thicker seal for #1 forward of the instrument panel.

I used 3M edge guard along the roll bar for my #3 seal. I originally used the UHMW tape (similar to Van's). It will yellow with exposure to sun and the adhesive is a PTA to remove. I replaced it with the 3M product. Working great. If you don't put some sort of material down between the roll bar and the canopy due to vibration the plexi will abrade the paint and plexi will also scuff.

(1) the seal that runs along the longeron...
(2) the seal across the front on the subpanel bulkhead
(3) seal around the canopy frame*

FYI I did purchase the seals mentioned in the previous posts but found them too thick and would let the canopy seat properly. I have a 1/8" gap between the canopy frame and canopy rail.

Part Numbers?

Paul,

Could you be more specific about which parts you used? When I go to the link you posted there are lots of options and it's not clear which ones you are referring to. I'm at the stage right now where I am finishing up my tip-up canopy so this is timely for me.

McMaster-Carr part numbers

I purchased several seals a few years ago.

Here are the McMaster-Carr part numbers:
93085K11
93085K125
93085K67

These have self adhesive and are easy to install. Measure your gaps and determine if these will work. Keep in mind that during flight the canopy will lift and the seals may not seal completely. However you don't want a seal that when compressed doesn't allow the canopy to close properly. This is very important when installing a canopy front skin seal.

Additionally I purchased the Self-Gripping Vinyl Edge Trim with Metal Core (8451A22) to wrap the edge of the glare shield.

Re: the seal on the front subpanel bulkhead...I'm a little confused about where this goes. On top of the flange on the bulkhead (flange faces up)? Do I have that right?

Getting ready to order some stuff from McMaster (really liked the bulb seal along the sides)...

Steve

If you can find 'it' in Aircraft Spruce or McMaster-Carr, it does not exist...

If your gap to be sealed is the stock 1/8" the Vans bulb seal was the best I found. The adhesive has a limited shelf life so ask Vans for the current material in your order. They have the correct length and best prices I could find.

If it is larger, beware of the compressive force per foot, it can be too much for the latch. Experience.

Back