What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Black friday worth the wait?

Nero

Long time listener, first time caller.

Finally made up my mind that building an RV-10 is the best use of my time, especially since a return back to work still seems to be a ways into the future. Just paid my dues, so i figured i'd muster up the courage to ask my first question here on VAF.

I did a little searching and couldn't find any definitive answers.

Do any of the major tool suppliers have Back Friday specials on any of the tool kits? Is it worth the wait since we're only 2 months out, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Part 2 of the question is which tools are the most utilized/useful that you had to procure outside of the starter kits sold at Cleaveland tools or Isham? I've been eyeing a small 9in Band Saw, a Drill press, a bench grinder (to use with the scotch brite wheel), and a belt/disk sander. Do you guys find that all 4 of these are useful for the build?

Long time listener, first time caller.

Finally made up my mind that building an RV-10 is the best use of my time, especially since a return back to work still seems to be a ways into the future. Just paid my dues, so i figured i'd muster up the courage to ask my first question here on VAF.

I did a little searching and couldn't find any definitive answers.

Do any of the major tool suppliers have Back Friday specials on any of the tool kits? Is it worth the wait since we're only 2 months out, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Part 2 of the question is which tools are the most utilized/useful that you had to procure outside of the starter kits sold at Cleaveland tools or Isham? I've been eyeing a small 9in Band Saw, a Drill press, a bench grinder (to use with the scotch brite wheel), and a belt/disk sander. Do you guys find that all 4 of these are useful for the build?

Part I: I don’t know.

Part II: I have all four of those tools and use them all. The bench grinder is an absolute necessity, the other 3 are very nice to have.

The specialty tools that I've used the most on my project are;

Old 12" band saw

Drill press

Bench grinder with both scotch bright wheels

4" steel ruler graduated in 1/8" & 1/16" on one side and 1/32" & 1/64" on the other.

really bright LED lights in my garage

There are any number of threads on VAF about which tools to get. As for sales, quite often there are used tools available in the VAF classifieds. It should be no more than a matter of reading a few threads to get an idea of what works best. Used tools are usually as good as new in this game and less expensive.

For example, I've never owned a grinder in my life. There has been absolutely zero need for it. I use a set of files to debur stuff, making a lot less airborne dust.

I use a 14" band saw, drill press and 12" disk sander. But different people have different tools and you know what? Mostly it's the builder who controls the quality of the project.

Some exceptions: Cleaveland dimple dies, a pneumatic squeezer, an air compressor with a big tank and a tungsten bucking bar. All highly desirable.

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies, this definitely helps put some things into perspective.

To address some specific things:

1. Believe me, I would have no objections to picking up a set of good used tools, however, even here in the classified forums, I have had no luck getting anything going, even when i am lucky enough to send a PM to the seller within an hour or two of the original post. It looks like the demand for these tools far exceeds the current supply.

2. It doesn't look like anyone has said anything about black Friday deals, which i'm starting to think that there are none.

Thanks Dave, Terry, and Papa for your replies.

Aircraft Spruce has had some Black Friday deals. One year if you bought a $100 gift card they only charged you $75. I saved some money there. I bought two Bose headsets from them one year and got a free Bose docking speaker for my iPhone (worth $250).
I don't expect that most of the dedicated tool vendors will have much if anything on sale. Just remember, the tools are just the first in a long line of very expensive purchases on the way towards your airplane. If you can't stomach paying retail for the tools, just wait until you start buying an engine, prop, interior, and avionics! :)
BTW, it is TOTALLY worth it to build your own airplane. Costs be damned!

Instead of a bench grinder I use a Harbor Freight buffer on a stand with 2 6 inch scotchbrite wheels (one fine one medium). The longer spindles and open access to wheels makes it much easier to manipulate parts. On rare occasions I break out grinder with stone but I use the buffer more than any other tool on this list. Of the rest I use band saw frequently, drill press occasionally and belt sander rarely.

Buffer: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-buffer-61557.html

Stand: https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

(Holes on stand didn’t match up exactly. Easy fix with a drill)

Last edited:
Instead of a bench grinder I use a Harbor Freight buffer on a stand with 2 6 inch scotchbrite wheels (one fine one medium). The longer spindles and open access to wheels makes it much easier to manipulate parts. On rare occasions I break out grinder with stone but I use the buffer more than any other tool on this list. Of the rest I use band saw frequently, drill press occasionally and belt sander rarely.

Buffer: https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-buffer-61557.html

Stand: https://www.harborfreight.com/universal-bench-grinder-stand-3184.html

(Holes on stand didn’t match up exactly. Easy fix with a drill)

+1 I got the lower powered one and did not expect it to last, but I have switched that thing on/off countless thousands of times and it still works like a Baldor.

Some people don't use a band saw, odd to me. With the HF cheap brake, I made many many custom small parts. Artful use of the rip fence and make a 12-14" bent .025" angle, then cut in sections for many mounting uses. I have found that cutting with the band saw leaves the part less distorted. The harder scotchbrite wheel takes off the tooth marks swiftly followed my the file for straightness.

If doing this again a better belt sander would be purchased.

I got the Avery tool kit and listened to Bob's suggestions. His machine work (dies) were/are fantastic. Good tools never annoy you. Pay once and reap the benefits for a lifetime.

Last edited:
+1 on the Harbor Freight buffer. I love it. It's bolted to my bench and it is sooo quiet. My grinder, admittedly an older Craftsman dinosaur, is much louder, vibrates more and takes it's time spinning up and down. I've got grinding wheels in it, but don't ever use it on aluminum. The buffer has the scotchbrite wheel and the polishing wheel that came with it. Never used that side.

My bandsaw is a tabletop Ryobi. Take your pick, a lot of them seem to be sourced from the same place. Buy decent fine tooth blades and change them when necessary. Don't skimp on blades, it's so much easier to cut with a sharp blade. One other thing, since these are really wood band saws they run faster than I would like for most jobs, so if you are cutting a thin piece you may want to back it up with a piece of wood and keep the cut line right next to the wood piece. The hole next to the blade is large and if you are not careful it will pull the thin material down and distort the shape.

Appreciate all of the suggestions guys!

Time to go pick up a HF buffer i guess (interestingly enough i was just there a week ago wondering if that very same model would work or not, and decided against it as it didnt have the metal stands to support the piece being ground). Loved hearing that it's actually more of a detriment to have it.

Bandsaws seem cheap enough to pick one up. great tip on using a chunk of weed to back up small aluminum pieces. i'm sure i would have learned that the hard way.

Aircraft Spruce and Specialty had a free shipping deal last year, I don't remember for sure but it might have been Black Friday or cyber Monday.

And the rest of the time they have free shipping for $350 or more so if you're buying enough tools or parts you can get that anyway (not hard to do!)

Other than OSH specials, that's the only thing I can recall seeing along those lines.

I do not know much about Black Friday, but my number one go to tool is my battery operated Dremel

Good news!

Put in my order for a most of the items today, or at least i tried to. Looks like Cleaveland Aircraft shopping cart is broken and is currently not letting anyone check out.

Having said that, i did place orders for a 3x rivet gun and managed to snag a pneumatic squeezer from Numatx. Really looking forward to seeing how it feels vs the traditional squeezers.

Thanks guys for all of the input. can't wait to get everything here so that i can start the build!

Good news!

Put in my order for a most of the items today, or at least i tried to. Looks like Cleaveland Aircraft shopping cart is broken and is currently not letting anyone check out.

Having said that, i did place orders for a 3x rivet gun and managed to snag a pneumatic squeezer from Numatx. Really looking forward to seeing how it feels vs the traditional squeezers.

Thanks guys for all of the input. can't wait to get everything here so that i can start the build!

The one thing that I would recommend is picking up the phone and giving Cleveland a call. Mike built an RV-10 and he’s help provide tools for other RV10 builders, including me. When I started I got the RV-10 kit, but then talked to mike and ask for suggestions on “upgrades” that would make my life easier. He didnt steer me wrong.

Back