What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Screw Driver

dsm8

Well Known Member
Patron
Good Evening builders:

I have been getting increasingly frustrated with the stripping of screws, screws that have been installed once, and when it comes time for disassembly may of them strip out. I would expect this from the Aviation section of Home Depot, but these are screws purchased from the mothership or Aircraft spruce.

I must assume that it is the screwdrivers I am using. Occasionally I use my Dewalt 8v screwdriver and have purchased a variety of bits. At the first time of stripping, I switch a manual screwdriver. I have tried Craftsman, Rigid, and others. Should I be using anti-seize or boelube on these screws?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read the recent post regarding screwdrivers and inspection panels.

Good Evening builders:

I have been getting increasingly frustrated with the stripping of screws, screws that have been installed once, and when it comes time for disassembly may of them strip out. I would expect this from the Aviation section of Home Depot, but these are screws purchased from the mothership or Aircraft spruce.

I must assume that it is the screwdrivers I am using. Occasionally I use my Dewalt 8v screwdriver and have purchased a variety of bits. At the first time of stripping, I switch a manual screwdriver. I have tried Craftsman, Rigid, and others. Should I be using anti-seize or boelube on these screws?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have read the recent post regarding screwdrivers and inspection panels.

The plane I bought built in 2012 had been retrofitted with all Torx bit Pan head or Truss head SS screws. Use a screw gun that has a slip clutch torque setting when you tighten up your screws, and set the torque setting lower. Also, the clutch works better if you thread with the slow speed instead of the high speed setting. I find the Torx heads have far more bite from the bit, and are less liable to strip the driver heads out.

Last edited:
The factory screws are not particularly strong. They are made from relatively soft steel. Replace them with screws made of 125 ksi to 160 ksi steel and that problem goes away.

Dave

Valve Lapping Compound

I use valve lapping compound on the tip of the screwdriver - miracle in tube. Switching all access panels over to Torx drive screws are the ultimate solution.

- Jason Kreidler

I had some local guys tell me they used Philips P2R bits rather than the standard #2 and they hold much better. I don't know that the tip itself should really be all that much different, but the ones they gave me worked much better than the tips that I had been buying. I picked some up locally and they are all I use now. But I don't know that all brands are equal. You may have to try a few to find one you like. But grab some at the local hardware store and see if you can find a brand that works better than the bits you're using now.
Torx will be better, for sure, but if you want to stay with standard hardware, it's a potential help.

I love the JIS screw drivers. Stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. And they fit Phillips screws better than any Philips screwdrivers. Look them up on Youtube, buy them on amazon. I need to find just the bits for my electric screw drivers. .

I think there are some magic screwdrivers. Maybe all SnapOns, I don’t know. But years ago I bought a mid-priced Craftsman #2. It worked great. I had partners in a 182, and virtually every year, at annual, one of my partners would call out, “I can’t get this screw out. Where’s Bob’s screwdriver?” And sure enough, that screwdriver would get the screw out. More recent Craftsman drivers seem to have lost the magic. I do use an electric screwdriver, but always unscrew the first half turn by hand, and likewise the final turn or two by hand when installing a screw. The torque release mechanism just seems a little too variable.

Just to be clear, what are we talking about here with "stripping" of the screws. Do you mean stripping the threads, or the cross point "Phillips" tool camming out?

In either case, a power screwdriver, can be a very dangerous weapon.

I think there are some magic screwdrivers. Maybe all SnapOns, I don’t know. But years ago I bought a mid-priced Craftsman #2. It worked great. I had partners in a 182, and virtually every year, at annual, one of my partners would call out, “I can’t get this screw out. Where’s Bob’s screwdriver?” And sure enough, that screwdriver would get the screw out. More recent Craftsman drivers seem to have lost the magic. I do use an electric screwdriver, but always unscrew the first half turn by hand, and likewise the final turn or two by hand when installing a screw. The torque release mechanism just seems a little too variable.

I'm telling you. .these JIS screwdrivers are so awesome, you can snap the head off before the cross point slips!

Klein #2 Phillips screwdrivers are the gold standard. I've also used "Southwire" screwdrivers from Lowe's and they actually last as long as the Kleins.

I love the JIS screw drivers. Stands for Japanese Industrial Standard. And they fit Phillips screws better than any Philips screwdrivers. Look them up on Youtube, buy them on amazon. I need to find just the bits for my electric screw drivers. .

You can get both the screwdrivers and the bits at McMaster - I have converted my screwdriver drawer to all JIS instead of #2 Phillips - they work great!

Just ordered some JIS bits for my electric, have hand held JIS but use an electric most of the time. I got an adjustable torque electric off of Amazon last year and use it almost always. I usually run it on one for #6 screws and might go to three for 8s.

Another vote for JIS drivers

I had been considering changing out the frequently removed Phillips head screws to torx, but now there is no need. A set of JIS drivers and bits has eliminated that dilemma for me.

Since ’discovering’ how well JIS screw drivers work I can’t imagine why I would ever want to pick up a Phillips screw driver again.

I had been considering changing out the frequently removed Phillips head screws to torx, but now there is no need. A set of JIS drivers and bits has eliminated that dilemma for me.

Since ’discovering’ how well JIS screw drivers work I can’t imagine why I would ever want to pick up a Phillips screw driver again.

I see you are also in Australia, have you been able to find a local supplier who stocks JIS drivers and bits? Thx.

Yes. JIS. JIS is superb. And my brand of choice is "Vessel", made in Japan. It is rare I allow an electric screwdriver within 10 feet of my airplanes.

Vessel ball grips are my favorite of their models.

The one I put in each aircraft is the 220-W JIS combination driver:

220w3.jpg

The one I really like in the shop is a 2200 series ratcheting ball grip:

2200_series.jpg

Yes, I have the Snap-On sets and even the ubiquitous Snap-On ratcheting driver. But I find it hard to beat the quality of Vessel and the ball grips fit my hand perfectly. When I hand one to a friend and they start using it they really like the feel.

And as far as stainless screws on the aircraft, especially going into nutplates, I like to swipe the threads with Boelube or bees wax prior to installing. I also don't tighten them like Caterpillar Tractor screws. If they are visible I just snug them without cracking any paint. It all makes future maintenance much easier.

Jim

Last edited:
Another vote for the Wiha brand, German made screwdrivers and bits. I have a set of bits that I use in the cordless driver, along with a couple of hand tools (long and stubby).

I've had no problems with JIS bits. I stripped out a number of screws removing my tanks from my QB wings with a standard bit.

I used a JIS bit in both a slow power screwdriver and my handheld ratcheting screwdriver and had great results when I put the tanks back on.

+1 Wiha and Wera

I have a bunch of Snap-on screwdrivers which are now my tier 2 screwdrivers.

I switched to Wiha screwdrivers and Wera screw driver bits for my electric screwdriver.

Once again, I have to credit my brother who turned me on to these tools a few years ago.

Lots of responses re. screwdrivers but I don't see that anyone has answered:

Should I be using anti-seize or boelube on these screws?

Definitely -- I apply Boelube to any screw I have going into a nutplate. It makes a big difference although I still keep plenty of screws on hand so when I do occasionally cam-out a head I just replace the screw. Yeah, I should probably get one of these better screwdrivers people are recommending ;)

JIS

Haven't used a Phillips screwdriver no matter what brand, since I discovered JIS screwdrivers. Simply amazing!! Phillips screwdrivers were designed to cam out so assembly line workers wouldn't strip screws.

See post 18. Vessel, ball end grip, I found them on Amazon along with some Wera 1/4" drywall bits. I went a little crazy, but I enjoy collecting tools.
They are in the mail, so I cannot review them.

You are going to be very very happy with those.

Back