What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

desception

HansLab

Well Known Member
Planes shouldn't be moved over roads - I know. However my shop was full of RV12-hull, and I wanted to build wings. So, I found a nice shed for the fuselage where I could finish some projects, and rented a so-called auto-ambulance trailer (with winch and tilt mechanism). The company I rented it didn't have one as I arrived despite a reservation, and send me to a colleague an hour away.
Finally the trailer was driven to my shop, the last street backwards with parked cars on both sides. I won't sleep from that part.
Cautiously pulled out the fuse, for there is ample room between wheels and door-posts (2 CM). Lots of people out of their homes: what funny is happening there?
Guess what IS happening: wheelbase 2.20M, trailer only 1.60M.
It didn't fit! And not just barely: it WAY didn't fit.... And I didn't notice.....
The rest of the morning was used to moarn, to pull the hull back again, and to listen to (justified) near-funny 'solutions'. I sure deserved them ;-)
Now a couple of hours later I found a trailer that will be wide enough. On a two-hours drive, but hey: an experimental builder is different than others. We do make mistakes. We learn from them, we share'm, we continue. And we safely fly. Some day.

Not quite as bad as a friend a few years ago who had to take a chain saw to his garage door to get his project out!

Yep I hired that one for next coming Saturday.
Didn't sleep last night, thinking about what I forgot furthermore...;-(
The stick under the tail is a good idea, I'll try to figure that out, too.

Almost done Hans?

FP13032013A0000D.jpg

hd1xbyyar1te.jpg

I built wood ramps/wheel supports over the fenders on my 20' trailer to haul my RV-9A project 700 miles. I did a lot of pre-planning and work on the trailer to get it ready for the trip home after purchase but it was a rock solid and worry free trip home. I also pre-built a wing crate that would fit under the fuselage.
Transported the RV-10 from the shop to the airport, 15 miles, I hired a local wrecker company to haul it on their widest flat bed that had no side rails to fit the wheel width.
35653720293_12c91ff444.jpg
[/url]20638899_10209132921260198_4580464348683668580_n by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]
36324427011_9e7cb01036.jpg
[/url]IMG_0027 by David C, on Flickr[/IMG]

We called a local car recovery gadge and asked how wide his bed was.

Sufficient.

Oooo - good, how much to move something from A to B ?

$130

Cool.

Should have seen his face when we trotted our RV12 fuselage out of the shop ;)

Back