What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Upgraded Mothership Website and Brand

There seems to be a lot more information on the different models. I see that a lot of work has gone into the new site. It is fast too!

Great looking site. I noticed that the silhouettes that they have for the RV-7/7A look a whole lot like the RV-8/8A.

Wordpress is a great platform for something like this. I like the design. Now, go add the substantive content. It's a lot of work just to get to this point, but so far, existing content has just been repackaged with a very nice looking Wordpress theme. Still, it is a vast improvement!

Bummer, my older Apple computer doesn't display the intro page icons on the new Van's website -- it just shows the generic "photo box". Same issue sporadically throughout the site. Some photos show up fine, some do not display.

UPDATE: Greg at Van's helped me with the above issue -- all is now well!

Last edited:
I would like to see every thing for each type of aircraft under the same heading.
It was too hard to search for everything associated with the specific type of aircraft. Example: For the Rv-14, every part, every type of kit, etc., associated with that specific type. Same with the other types. I did not find it that way in the past. Maybe I am computer illiterate? Simple is my best!
I do not know if the new web site is that way or not.

Wow, good job by Greg and crew!!

I think we will all be pleased over time with the direction Van's is now heading. I believe Mitch was a good hire as President; he hired Greg and is quietly making other good things that aren't yet visible happen there too.

I like it!

Rebranding is difficult to do but the Van's gang did a good job!

Congratulations!

This re-branding and an updated website was much needed. Great job on the re-brand and new logo, I can't wait to buy some Van's swag. As a young guy myself I think this new look will make it a little more appealing to the younger generations but time will tell.

Thumbs up

Looks great! Rebranding is scary but good. I liked the shopping section better

Whoa! Nice redesign; much needed and looks great!

So I'm scrolling through my brain cells thinking back to 2003 when I ordered my tail kit from the old website, and then I do the math; was the old site really 16+ years old?? Dang, that's old! And I'm getting older, bummer. But, sure beats the alternative...

Great work!

I can see an impressive amount of thought, planning, and work has gone into this - congratulations! I really like the new logo and website design and implementation.

I can see an impressive amount of thought, planning, and work has gone into this - congratulations! I really like the new logo and website design and implementation.

Thanks very much, appreciate the kind words. Lots of RV owners and builders helped by spending time looking at ideas and provided their own ideas and opinions along the way. We're indebted to the community. And we have a more planned for the future.

RV-8

Liking the new website style and design.

The silouette view of the RV-8 side view, the landing gear sure looks like gear from an RV-4 not an RV-8 the way it?s sweeping to the rear.

I really like the modern website and the re-branding, I'd like to congratulate with the staff for all this hard work well done.

I love the safety emphasis that Vans wanted to share ! I think that, as part of this great tight-knit group, we have an important role to play with.

[cit. We fly fun, fast, cool aircraft ? and people are watching. They will follow your example, whether you want them to or not. Be the positive example and a good role model, not the accident statistic.]

ps: yes, I love the photos too :D

Overall, I like the new site. A modern WP theme, noticeably faster page load times, etc.

However, I don't especially care for the orange 'VA' portion of the new logo. It communicates no association with RVs or even aviation in general. In graphic design contests I've hosted/created in the past, that sort of perfunctory amateurish effort wouldn't have made it out of the first round.

RV-4

Vans used my (now Nick M.) RV-4 picture as example in their advertisement of the -4. That made my day.

Last edited:
I like the new site as well. I especially like that I can now point friends, in particular non-aviator friends, to the RV-9/9A page and they can see large beautiful photos of the aircraft. I always felt kind of embarrassed that I had to Google for photos of the airplane that are not directly from Van's site.

Nicely done!

1) I really, really, really like the new website look and "flow."
2) I think you should change the "Order a Kit" Button to say "Kit Ordering Info" or something less daunting. There is a lot of useful information on that button (like kit prices and lead times), but people (especially old timers) might be afraid to click on that button, for fear they will actually be placing an Order!

Overall, GREAT, GREAT, GREAT Job!

New site looks great. One minor gripe - can the photos accompanying first flight reports be moved to the end of each report, rather than preceding it? Putting them ahead of the date and report heading makes them appear to be associated with the previous report.

Awesome

I think it looks great, especially the -6 on the front page;)
Great shot by Moose Peterson.

Last edited:
The site itself looks fresh and modern. I like the new fonts for the body text, headlines, etc.

But I'm NOT a fan of that new logo. Veterans Administration??? I so prefer "Van's Aircraft" spelled out proudly! I'll keep the old stuff until it's threadbare.

Does that mean its time for a VAF upgrade?

I love the regular web forum as is of course...

All I'm saying is that a VAF mobile version would be much appreciated!

:D :D :D

Greg,

Just another heads up, the ?required tools? link for the practice kits doesn?t work.
BTW, excellent job for the new website, looks very good.

Yes, that one's on the list - thanks, will get it addressed! We have a few store links that are broken and will definitely be addressed.

And thanks!

Another item for the request list. Technical data and dimension drawings for accessories.

Many items in the accessories catalog have fuzzy pictures and no technical information or data sheets for installation. I am researching information on the Aeroleds Suntail nav/strobe. Vans is listed and referenced as an OEM for that product. Spruce and others now have links to reference docs for such merchandise to assist potential customers with selection.

Thanks.

The site itself looks fresh and modern. I like the new fonts for the body text, headlines, etc.
Personally, I think it's gone the way of many sites I know and love... They've moved to a Wordpress or similar content management system that increases the empty whitespace and amount of scrolling needed to absorb the same amount of information. Modern, yes, but less functional.

But I'm NOT a fan of that new logo.
Nor I.

Now, that said, keep in mind that Van's has already sold 20,000 airplanes to the market using the old logo. Now they're trying to capture more of the market by appealing to a newer generation, that might find the layout and logo more "familiar."

Sure, we may go buy a second kit (or third, or fourth...) but we're already customers. We know the product, and won't ditch the company overall over a logo or a website. We'll just be the gray-hairs pining for the "good old days" when the logo was all words... :)

Back