What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14A Richard in SE Va

dbren

Well I took the RV plunge, bought tools, building some tables and doing the practice kit. I also ordered the empennage kit, so I?m committed. So far I?m learning a lot about the tools, rivets, and mistakes. I guess that?s what the practice kit is for. I think I?ll practice some more before tackling the actual kit. I will say the time flys.

Richard

Congratulations! I'm only a few weeks ahead of you on my 14A and a few hour south in Winston-Salem. I'm not saying it's a race or anything, but I plan to finish mine before the kids are in college.
(They're 6 and 3 now.)

Go ahead and drill your finger and make your first mistake to get both of those out of the way.

Way to dive in! I am a first time builder also. I am about half way done with my empennage on my 14A. I am learning a lot and am very much enjoying the build. So far I have been very impressed with the kit and instructions. I was fortunate enough to have a fellow 14 builder come over to help me get started, which was extremely helpful! Good luck and enjoy the journey!

Still waiting for a few back ordered tools. Still trying to figure out how to make the dimples the best they can be. Removing rivets has been a failure so far, hopefully l?ll get it straight before the empennage arrives.

Richard

Dimples. Buy good dies.

Rivet removal. You probably have heard it already but it can't be stressed enough. You are not trying to drill the body out of the hole. You are only trying to drill enough out of the head so you can break it off then drive the rest out of the hole. I drill down a bit then try and break the head off with a drift punch.

EAA 339

Well I took the RV plunge, bought tools, building some tables and doing the practice kit. I also ordered the empennage kit, so I?m committed. So far I?m learning a lot about the tools, rivets, and mistakes. I guess that?s what the practice kit is for. I think I?ll practice some more before tackling the actual kit. I will say the time flys.

Richard

There are some RVs in EAA 339 in Chesapeake, VA.

Thanks John,

I have met a couple of RV owners at kcpk. They are very encouraging and helpful. I have joined the EAA.

Richard
KCPK

The empennage kit is definitely the most fun I think. The wings can get repetitive, the fuselage is more intense with getting things in the right order (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!!!!!!) and so far the finishing kit is 99% NOT metal work.

But the empennage... straight forward pieces and very detailed instruction. Though do be careful with the rudder!!

Tic tock, first kit scheduled for delivery Wednesday. Looking forward to beginning to build. I?ve been getting ready for a while.

Richard

Kit arrived

The crate has arrived! It?s real now and I am psyched! Inventor tomorrow and the on to the build.

Richard

Inventory completed and I have put the VS skeleton together. All is going well, I. Hope the rest of the build is so straight forward.

Just keep focused on what you are currently working on and not get yourself overwhelmed by the entire project. Remember that there it not anything you can do that probably has not been done by someone else on this forum and any mistakes can be repaired, fixed or rebuilt.

Just keep focused on what you are currently working on and not get yourself overwhelmed by the entire project. Remember that there it not anything you can do that probably has not been done by someone else on this forum and any mistakes can be repaired, fixed or rebuilt.

Had my fist scratch the head moment while getting ready to rivet the rear spar on the VS. Started thinking the plans were wrong, as the instructions said to countersink the forward side of the doubler, thinking that was wrong because that would be between the spar and the doubler and no rivet could be in there, of course now I know the spar has to be dimpled on the forward side and that nests into the countersink. Lesson: Beware the temptation to not believe the plans.

Finished up the VS, turned out pretty well, helped out my confidence in riveting. I guess I can do this! On to the rudder.

Back