What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SkyView Touch screen failure....second time

Top Cat

Well Known Member
Shortly after take off today ( SLSA) SkyView Touch screen froze. Then went completely blank.
As I was about to push the buttons to reboot it did it itself. Then blanked again several more times.

Last edited:
If you haven't already, go to the Dynon forums and see if you can find discussions or answers there. I've had several good experiences there. Good luck.

Yes, go to Dynon Skyview factory forum. This was a common issue awhile back but subsequent software upgrades have apparently fixed this bug.

The USB stick caused this problem with my Skyview and others. Removing it fixed the problem. When I scanned the stick, it had errors on it. After repairing them, the reboot problem went away. YMMV but Something to check. Others tried a different USB stick and fixed the reboot problem.

Backup

Do you have a backup steam airspeed and altemeter gauges? Just wondering what the backup plan is.

The USB stick caused this problem with my Skyview and others. Removing it fixed the problem. When I scanned the stick, it had errors on it. After repairing them, the reboot problem went away. YMMV but Something to check. Others tried a different USB stick and fixed the reboot problem.

Thomas thanks a lot for the tip.
I contacted Dynon Tech support and after a lengthy discussion this was their suggestion too.
I've already removed the stick as I'd exported the diagnostic file as per the error code on Skyview.

Next time I'm at the RV I'll see how it is without the stick and report back.

Do you have a backup steam airspeed and altemeter gauges? Just wondering what the backup plan is.

For now backup plan is iPad for situational awareness and thinking of an Ifly GPS but they don't offer an EMS substitute.

Yes, go to Dynon Skyview factory forum. This was a common issue awhile back but subsequent software upgrades have apparently fixed this bug.

Tech support suggested uploading SV 15.2 Ihave 15.1 and usually wait for Vans to offer heir "version" and download from their. That being said I have t had to load their settings files for a while so perhaps in this instance I should just update to 15.2 direct from Dynon?

Shortly after take off today ( SLSA) SkyView Touch screen froze. Then went completely blank.
As I was about to push the buttons to reboot it did it itself. Then blanked again several more times.

Dynon has a known design flaw in the SkyView system where an external USB flash drive can hang up the operating system. Until they resolve the problem, I would never trust the SkyView EFIS as my sole attitude source in IMC. I flew a friends FIRST RV-12 flight and dealt with the same screen freeze/reboot issue as described above. We've had at least 6 similar SkyView failures by users at my local airport. Dynon Tech Support has always been fantastic, but I'm afraid SkyView hardware reliability is lacking and a long way from being Dynon Certified by the FAA.

Dynon has a known design flaw in the SkyView system where an external USB flash drive can hang up the operating system. Until they resolve the problem, I would never trust the SkyView EFIS as my sole attitude source in IMC. I flew a friends FIRST RV-12 flight and dealt with the same screen freeze/reboot issue as described above. We've had at least 6 similar SkyView failures by users at my local airport. Dynon Tech Support has always been fantastic, but I'm afraid SkyView hardware reliability is lacking and a long way from being Dynon Certified by the FAA.

Bob thanks for that info.

I haven't been able to get to the airplane for. Few days due to weather.

I've had a USB drive installed in the port under SkyView pretty much since I bought the plane. I added the wifi adapter and installed in the back of the unit since it stays in there.
Dynon says the drive in lower port may be corrupted and I do have an expired Seattle Avionics sectional installed a,though it's never been an issue before.

In future I'll just keep a drive handy in case I need to export a file or do a screen shot.

Agree with SkyView being great for sport flying but I think they ought to focus more on reliability than adding new features. Some things like HITS or synthetic
Vision I never use, interesting but superfluous to my own type of flying.

Update:

Flew 2 hours today without the USB stick. Everything normal till about 8 minutes in flight. SkyView went blank and rebooted once, with no caution messages. Flew the remainder of the two hour flight with everything normal.

I feel safe in thinking this was probably due to remnants of the problems with the previous flight.

The USB stick I had plugged in under the SkyView ( I have the wifi adapter plugged in the back) contained an expired version of Seattle Avionics sectional charts. I had allowed it to expire and got a message to that effect on each boot up. The only reason I kept it was for the georeferenced a/c position on their taxi chart which sometimes was of use.
I plan on using iFly GPS 740 in the near future. SkyView shows the basic architecture for the Seattle charts just saying there are none. Does anyone know how to remove the Seattle root architecture?

The other reason I kept the USB plugged in was in case of a need to export a diagnostic file as in the incident I just had.

Same issue

I have also experienced loosing both my 10" skyview touch screens in flight multiple times. Dynon had me send it back and told me it was a hardware issue and they fixed it, but yesterday I lost my left screen twice, and then both screens. They eventually rebooted. I'm going to upload the data to dynon today. I'm wondering how many other people have this issue?

I had my primary screen go down and reboot several times on Fiske approach to Oshkosh this year. Not the best time to happen. Provided them diagnostics at the show and they said low voltage (assumed because of low rpm and everything on including landing lights). Provided to Dynon tech support later and they said they recorded voltage going to zero. Not possible since I have a backup battery and the secondary screen without a backup stayed up. Sound like I may have the same issue but it has not happened since. Am installing a battery on the secondary screen for backup at annual.

Do you have backup batteries on one or both screens?

I have a back up battery on 1 screen, not the other. But my avidyne 440 stayed on, I do not believe it was a power issue. Also, a warning came up when it rebooted saying system event 3. In the past it has said event 5 and event 3. Since it was sent back to dynon I have not seen anything about 5 only 3. This is happening on about half of my flights that are over an hour lately.

Copilot Skyview belly up?

I am finally returning to my build to finish it and while updating latest Skyview files, my copilot display won't boot up. Anyone get just vertical lines on screen when powering up? Have a call into Dynon. Thinking its gonna be a return issue.

48915248962_9f5fa61d9a_z.jpg

Yes, I have, as well as others. See my two posts ("RV8JD" #6 & #7) in the "Colored vertical stripes" thread on the Dynon Forum:

https://forum.flydynon.com/threads/colored-vertical-stripes.11428/#post-68183

You'll have to send it in to be fixed.

That looks suspiciously like a ribbon wire failure or connector failure between the computer and the screen, if it was on a laptop computer. The hinging effect on a laptop screen is rough on flexing the ribbon wire and connectors.

Back