What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MOSAIC - LSA/Sport Pilot Changes - Waiting vs Current RV12iS Adaptability

talon167

I am thinking about building an RV12iS, but I am hesitating because of the pending FAA MOSAIC changes to the Light Sport and Sport Pilot definitions.

Oshkosh '19 update from Dan Johnson (LAMA):
Latest Update on FAA’s Plan to Change Light-Sport Aircraft Regulations — July 2019.

I have two issues:
1. When - should I wait to build to take advantage of the changes?
2. RV12 adaptability - if I build an RV12iS now, what is the probability I can take advantage of MOSAIC changes prior to or shortly after completing the build? It may take me a couple of years to build.

When (source: linked article)
The FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018 includes a deadline of 2023 for implementing a key mandate that suggests the longest it should take. Once an NPRM is published, a comment period follows to hear from the public after which FAA needs time to address the concerns raised during that comment period. After closure of that comment period, the FAA has up to 16 months to publish the Final Rule.

What (speculation)
  • increased gross takeoff weight (via "power index")
  • increased Vh (via power index)
  • automated in-flight prop adjustment
  • 4 seat max, but still only 1 passenger max (in combo with other changes, permitting 4 seats will put a lot more legacy certified aircraft within the scope of LSA - maybe even a Van's non-RV12 model).
  • stall minimums - slight increase

Playing the waiting game
Waiting assumes:
  • It will happen. Based on the FAA's public comments and the groups that are giving input into the rule making (e.g., EAA, LAMA) the odds of the changes are extremely high. When is likely 2 to 3 years.
  • It will be meaningful. What the changes will be is very much up the air (sorry, couldn't resist). Although I love flying the RV12 I am renting, I really would like LSAs to add more weight without compromising performance for better crosswind handling. The current weight limit needlessly decreases safety.

PROS OF WAITING: Not locked into current rule limitations, resale value, increased weight = increased safety, more aircraft choices

CONS: May never happen, delay could be many years

Build now and Adapt Viable??
So this leads me to my question. If it will take me a couple of years to build an RV, LSA and Sport Pilot changes are likely occur during the tail end of the build or shortly after the build is complete

Will an RV12iS be able to take advantage of the changes via modification? Are competitor LSAs better suited for modification?

Questions:
  • Can the current RV12iS structurally use a Rotax 915iS?
  • With an upgraded engine such as the 135hp 915iS, can the current RV12iS structurally add hundreds of pounds of weight without too much of an issue. Fuel capacity may be the easiest to add to increase weight (e.g. is it viable to add wing tanks and make wings non-removable; increase fuselage fuel tank size)

Your thoughts on the current RV12iS's adaptability to the potential LSA/Sport Pilot changes - thanks!

Non-LSA side note: Among the most exciting things about MOSAIC was emphasized by the FAA acting commissioner at Oshkosh '19 - changes will include making it easier and less expensive for certified GA non-commercially used legacy aircraft to improve avionics (basically he said the current rules are unacceptable because they significantly impede improving GA safety with readily available tech - FAA flexibility would be offset by limitations on the updated aircraft's use - e.g., cannot be used commercially). Basically he indicated legacy certified will have the option to switch to experimental status for the purpose of avionics upgrades.

Last edited:
If you are young enough that a 5yr wait doesn't matter then I say wait and see what happens. If you are up there in age probably better to build now and worry about the changes later. My .02

Hmmm...

A government deadline...that's funny.

The only regret I have building my -10 is that I didn't start sooner.

Build now.

a) RV12 adaptability - if I build an RV12iS now, what is the probability I can take advantage of MOSAIC changes prior to or shortly after completing the build?

b) Will an RV12iS be able to take advantage of the changes via modification?

c) Can the current RV12iS structurally use a Rotax 915iS?

d) With an upgraded engine such as the 135hp 915iS, can the current RV12iS structurally add hundreds of pounds of weight without too much of an issue?

a) - Close to zero.

b) - Probably not, without serious re-engineering and modification.

c) - Probably not.

d) - Nope, not a chance. BIG issues!

Airplanes are an interesting combination of compromises, and their characteristics are highly interrelated. The major ones are structural weight, load, aerodynamic configuration, power, center of gravity and its range, airframe strength and stiffness, and performance. Things like the weight and location of components are also important, but probably not first-order like the others. You really can't change one of those without affecting all the others. It's fascinating to learn about these things, and worth spending some time doing.

Dave

Last edited:
Some airplanes have a surprising amount of "growth margin" built in; others can often handle such growth with minimal modification. However I suspect the RV-12 (and most other purpose-designed LSAs that meet the regs without winks and nods) can't do this.

The current LSA rules have fixed weight and performance limits; given how many people already see these airplanes as "payload challenged" most designers will likely optimize the airframe to maximize payload while still meeting the necessary structural margins. Doing otherwise adds structural weight for no advantage (see the fixed weight limits).

If this improvement goes through (I'm optimistic about the contents, if not the timeline), then assuming nothing in the current product line fits, I'd expect Van's to come out with something compliant to the new rules. But, I don't work there; I'm just speculating like everyone else.

If this improvement goes through (I'm optimistic about the contents, if not the timeline), then assuming nothing in the current product line fits, I'd expect Van's to come out with something compliant to the new rules. But, I don't work there; I'm just speculating like everyone else.
I'd suspect they already have some kind of -12xx in the planning stages. Or at least as much you can have something in the planning stages to meet a reg that doesn't yet exist.

That being said my advice to the OP is life is too short to wait on any entity that moves at the speed of government. Build now. If you want more weight and speed than a -12 build a -9 or a -14.

If you are young enough that a 5yr wait doesn't matter then I say wait and see what happens. If you are up there in age probably better to build now and worry about the changes later. My .02

If you are really up there in age, buy someone else's completed build, and go flying.

Unless you really need something to take up a lot of your spare time, say after you retire, and you want to be a nice guy and stay out of the wife's hair, and in the shop being still productive, buy someone else's baby, but proceed with caution and inspect their craftmanship carefully.

?Upgrade? paths likely unsatisfactory

Based on your summary and what I have read, the new LSA standards will be significantly different than those in place. This will open up lots of design options relatively far afield (in design space) from the current RV-12is. I expect new clean sheet designs to emerge that will offer better performance than possible via (practical) upgrade from the current RV-12 airframe.

So even if you could do it, you wouldn?t like the result compared to a higher performance new design. I doubt seriously Van?s would even offer a compromised ?upgrade? ? they too are more likely to simply introduce a new offering ? so any modification you might want to perform will lack any sort of factory support. If you really want a one-off RV-12 derivative, you can do that today as an EAB, no need to wait.

My advice, buy or build the plane that offers the performance you want today. I would strongly prefer a proven design (e.g. any of the current Van?s offerings).

Peter

I struggled with this same question. I want to stay within LSA specs, but would love a more capable plane than is currently allowed. While I am still a relatively young 41, I ultimately decided I did not want to wait a few more years for the unknown. I'd love an RV-14, but even if it falls within the revised Uber-LSA specs, I decided I value the economy of the RV-12 for build cost/time and operating costs, at least for my first plane. I suspect there will be some level of regret over the resale value if I ever decide to sell and build something more capable, but such is life. Carpe Diem!

In a related note, the 12 goes together crazy quick - even including priming, 15.28 hours for the VS, 6 hours for the rudder. Finishing the anti-servo tabs today. :D

[*] 4 seat max, but still only 1 passenger max
Really, still only 1 passenger, is that for certain?

To the OP,

I originally wanted an RV-12, S-LSA. However, when I went to purchase one they had just announced the -12iS and stopped production (2017) of the -12. They missed the first couple of startup dates for the iS...I demo?d the Sling 2, a few days after visiting Van?s In Oregon. Just before the end of the year, Vans still,had no pricing or production dates ready, I ordered my Sling 2.

My Sling was ready the end of June ?18 and I flew it back East from CA. I tell you this, because six more months went by before the -12iS, was ready for production and it would have been at least another 3-6 months before I would see a plane of my own, may be longer. So, if you want to fly, whether it?s a Van?s, Kit Fox, Sling or a Searey, purchase it now if It at meets your criteria and you want to fly sooner than later. The mosaic is not a sure thing.

I?m most interested in weight. Lucky for me the Sling 2 was build to have a MAUW of 1540lbs, the 1320lbs is for the LSA, like mine. The factory has stated, they will, at such time the rules are changed, sign off on the MAUW to 1540, some thing I believe Van?s would never due and don?t blame them, the -12 was never designed for the increased weight. That?s a huge bonus for me, but for now, I?m good at 1320. I don?t need 4 seats or Need to fly faster, been there done that.

The -12 or -12iS are great as is. If you think you will need what?s been noted in the FAA Mosaic, by all means wait or find a platform that?s built to be more and hope the manufacturer will embrace the changes, if and when they arrive.

bit off topic

Under new coming changes to LSA, is it possible that the current RV-9 would become ELSA legal?

With the 4 place and weight restrictions increase becoming probable, the -9 seems like it has a chance to be legal with a 118hp or 135hp motor.

Lance

Under new coming changes to LSA, is it possible that the current RV-9 would become ELSA legal?
With the 4 place and weight restrictions increase becoming probable, the -9 seems like it has a chance to be legal with a 118hp or 135hp motor.
Lance

Any speculation on the "new" rules is just that. My guess is that IF this ever goes through, the RV-9 would probably be acceptable because it's already pretty close. But again, your guess is probably as good as mine.
Either way, I certainly wouldn't hold my breath, or delay any orders at this point based on any new rulings. The FAA moves REALLY slow on things like this.

Back