What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FI system to go with?

RidiculousM

Well Known Member
Lycoming ThunderBolt offers 2 brands of fuel injection units, 1-Airflow Performance 2- Avstar for the IO-390 and this will be going in a RV8, are there pros and cons with either one? I have to admit I just don't know much about them so ANY help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a TON in advance! Mike

Hello Mike, I received my Thunderbolt IO360 with the Avstar FI less than a week ago. I'm also building an 8 and was told by the Thunderbolt rep at Lycoming that others have had fitment issues with the Airflow performance units going in the RV8(hitting the lower cowl). Not sure how the 390 will impact the situation. The Lycoming rep was very helpful in answering questions. Good Luck

Lycoming ThunderBolt offers 2 brands of fuel injection units, 1-Airflow Performance 2- Avstar for the IO-390 and this will be going in a RV8, are there pros and cons with either one? I have to admit I just don't know much about them so ANY help, tips, advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a TON in advance! Mike

Mike, will it be the new 390-119 version (C-style manifold), or a 390A?

Rich, at the moment I'm set up for the Avstar FI and I believe it was setup that way from the Lycoming reps advice. Thanks Mike

I ordered this engine in January, not thru Vans because Vans back then would only sell it to 14 customers. But my question is can I request new 390-119 version (C-style manifold) from Lycoming or is that a Vans only thing. Thanks Mike

Hi Dan, it will be the 390A.

Ok, a 390A usually mounts the small FM150 or Avstar RSA clone. I would pick the FM150, as it will have slightly less carb loss, and better support. The two units are dimensional clones, but IIRC, the 150 had a linkage clearance issue on the standard 390 sump, thus gets a spacer between sump and servo flange. That would be the basis of Rich's comment. FM-150 Acceptance may hinge on how you feel about a minor cowl mod. Lots of folks happily flying the Avstar unit; it would be the easy install.

You can run an FM-200 on the 390A in an RV-8, but you'll need to build your own airbox or snorkel, plus cook up linkages, cables, etc. Been flying mine 10 years.

The new -119, as noted elsewhere, absolutely mounts an FM-200. There will be a lovely snorkel available for the -119 in an RV-14. Best bet will be to copy it, making the required dimensional mods for an RV-8. Custom links and cables and probably some cowl mods too.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan, very helpful info! I have about 2 weeks to decide which FI to go with. I should have also explained that I'm going with the Showplanes Cowl which does have a few extra inches underneath the engine so maybe FM-150 may not require a mod to the cowl? Anyone know please chime in. Also Dan I did talk to Lycoming today and they said I could get the new -119 engine if I wanted. Its a lot more $$ so I was wondering what your thoughts were on it? I'm inclined to just stick with the 390A but my other thought is if I'm going to spend this kind of money maybe the -119 is the way to go? I appreciate the help! Thanks Mike

Mike,

Warning - while I too prefer the Airflow Performance system (as I ordered with my IO-360-M1B) it did not fit the RV-8 cowl. I could have cut the cowl to make if fit but that would have ruined the cowl lines - and this had nothing to do with the snorkel. Perhaps your Showplanes cowl is not at tight, but finding someone that has already proceeded down this path might be the best next step.

I called Thunderbolt about it, and found out I was not the only customer that had the issue. Thunderbolt was nice enough to to swap out the AirFlow performance system with the standard Precision system. It fits, tight but it fits.

Note - I find the 180hp IO-360-M1B turning a Hartzell BA CS prop to be a perfect match for the RV-8.

Carl

Last edited:
Also Dan I did talk to Lycoming today and they said I could get the new -119 engine if I wanted. Its a lot more $$ so I was wondering what your thoughts were on it? I'm inclined to just stick with the 390A but my other thought is if I'm going to spend this kind of money maybe the -119 is the way to go? I appreciate the help! Thanks Mike

Mike, given some attention to detail, the 390A can get an RV-8 to VNE in level flight. More HP will boost climb, but won't offer much extra speed, cruise or max. And you'll be a pioneer with a 119 install. No problem for some, big problem for others.

Make the engine decision based on a rational examination of mission. Carl's comment about the M1B is quite true. The 390 powered -8 climbs very well, but solo, stick force per G is very heavy. The M1B would be more pleasant when solo, in particular for acro fun. On the other hand, the 390 hauls passenger and gear to a cool altitude PDQ (a big deal where I live, given spousal preference), and loaded CG is never a problem. RV's tend to do more than one thing well, but there are limits.

Think about an M1B, and spend the money saved on a Hartzell composite prop.

Last edited:
Carl, Dan I appreciate the input, giving me some serious thinking to do this weekend. At this point I'm really leaning towards 180hp IO-360-M1B. I'm more of a local flight, aerobatic guy with a little bit of x-country to do. Thanks Mike

Back