What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brown exhaust film all over engine

barryhansel

I'm New Here
Not having removed the cowling from my RV12 for 9 mos I discovered a badly discolored oil tank, hoses, battery, etc by a brown haze. My crbon monoxide detector has never changed.
Can't find the source. Any ideas??

Not having removed the cowling from my RV12 for 9 mos I discovered a badly discolored oil tank, hoses, battery, etc by a brown haze. My crbon monoxide detector has never changed.
Can't find the source. Any ideas??

Sounds like the typical exhaust leak one gets from the slip joins on the Lycoming engines that burn 100LL.

Does sound like exhaust leakage. Potential sources include the four exhaust pipe/cylinder flanges, the four exhaust system ball joints, and exhaust pipe cracks. Be sure the exhaust system is installed in accordance with Van's KAI (e.g., wriggle the system around so it is in a "relaxed" position prior to tightening). Regularly use appropriate anti-seize paste on the ball joints. Having relatively new exhaust springs helps to keep the ball joints tight.

Back