What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

9-18 9-19 - elevator assembly rear spar holes

TASEsq

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi all,

I am having a confusing moment!!

I?m riveting the rear spar to the left bottom and right top skin on page 9-20.

Back on page 9-18 step 5 and 9-20 step 2 we leave 6 holes in the bottom skins / rear spar of each elevator free of rivets so we can get access to the tip end to do closeout on page 9-22.

I have read and re-read the pages from when we leave the holes open to when we finish closout on 9-22 and I can?t for the life of me see where we rivet these remaining 6 holes on each side?

I assume they have to be done before 9-23 Step 1, as this is where we add in the foam ribs and trailing edges.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? If not I?ll close them up once I?ve done with page 9-22.

Also, why do we use pull rivets for the bottom skin / counterbalance holes (and solids on the top)? (9-22 step 4 and step 8). Seems weird to use pulled rivets on the bottom but solids on the top? Is this just cosmetic?

Thanks for the help in advance!

9-22 step 4 and 8
Pulled rivets used as there is no or limited access for the bucking bar for last two rivets

Hi - sorry, but that step(s) refers to the rivets for the outboard tip rib to the skin - not the skin to the aft spar. I understand that those last 3 on the tip ribs are left open to allow the foam ribs to be put in later (and eventually pulled rivets are used there), but i am talking about the last 6 on the rear spar for each elevator.

I appreciate your reply though - thank you!

I looked many times for instruction to complete the last 6 rivets you mention but couldn?t find any. I just came to the conclusion that with all the rest of the Closeout completed and the next step inserting the foam ribs it was time to do it.
Hope that helps
Happy building

Cool, thanks.

I reckon you are right. I?ve asked Van?s but it?s probably a redundant question - they obviously need to be riveted at some point!!!

Back