What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel cap issues

I have a 7 that has the Newton locking fuel caps on it. They are supposed to be non vented but if I top off the tanks fuel siphons through the key holes until the fuel levels get below the bottom of the cap. ( water can also get in)I have talked to Newton and they sold that division to someone and that someone has gone out of business so no support. The insert in the tank is much smaller than the original so I can’t just use the Vans original. Anyone have similar experiences and or fixes.

Last edited:
Do they look like this?

Attachments

• B6B606F0-1458-41BE-BEF6-8574B66D337B.jpg
    B6B606F0-1458-41BE-BEF6-8574B66D337B.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 161
Ok, I'll just tell you here. Van's sent me to Aircraft Spruce for a specific rebuild kit. When it arrived, it didn't appear to be correct so, I sent it back. I had, in the meantime, made a great connection with Newton (Robin) and the he said that the rebuild kit, while different, would indeed work on these caps. Unfortunately, there are no instructions available and I understand that you have to be careful getting them apart and back together. Mine has a pin securing the red locking part. The new red part apparently just snaps on. You can use either the original with the pin or the new snap on part. I've reordered and I'm going to carefully see if I can rebuild them. The issue is, if you mess up, your airplane may be grounded as these caps use a special smaller insert that has been prosealed into the normal Van's filler opening.

Attachments

• 5E97AC66-88A6-4934-A329-5F89D511B3B5.png
    5E97AC66-88A6-4934-A329-5F89D511B3B5.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
I was hoping you'd go first! No, they do not sell the exact cap but Robin was going to check to see if any of the newer offerings would fit our openings. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Just resealed first cap. Not terribly difficult but a little tedious. Three o rings replaced. Left you a pm with my phone number if you want to discuss.

Rob

Back