What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AvMap Discussion.

AvMap NMEA Connector confusion

On the NMEA connector cable, there is a RED wire the book calls "DIFF IN". But for the life of me I can't figure out what that is.

On the external power supply cable, there are 3 wires, Red, Black and White. What is the WHITE wire for??

Anyone have experience using the NMEA connector Yellow output wire for driving a Navaid A/P or using it to upload flight plans to GRT EFIS?

Thanks! Mike

Mike,

The Red "Diff In" wire is used if you are using an external GPS receiver. See Section 2.5.1 in AvMap manual.
Not sure about the white wire in the power cable. I don't remember using it.
I have been using the AvMAp connected to my Dynon via Yellow TXA wire. Have not tried uploading flight plans but I do have XM weather hooked up which uses both the TXA and RXA lines.

AvMap IV cable colors

I just got word back from an AvMap rep that the NMEA Red "Diff In" wire is meant to be a power in, but should NOT be used.
The White wire in the external power cord is also NOT used.

Avmap & AP overshoots waypoints

I've been flight testing my Avmap EKP-IV and DYNON AP today flying a multi-leg flight plan. The AP works pretty well in NAV mode receiving data from the Avmap however the AP consistently overflys each waypoint directly over the top and then sort of circles back to intercept the next leg of the flight plan. This behavior is quite noticable if the flight plan has a significant course change at the waypoint. I assume this overshooting is a fault of the Avmap rather than the AP and was wondering if there is some configuration option in the Avmap I can set to minimize this overshooting of the waypoints. I'm pretty sure Garmin series GPS has this feature and it's called 'turn anticipation' and was hoping Avmap had a similar feature I have not yet found in the configuration. I am using the newest level of Avmap firmware but don't have a new User manual. Anyone else observe this behavior and/or have a way to minimize the effects.

Last edited:
This problem is not the fault of the AV-MAP. The A/P is doing exactly what the GPS is telling it to do. What you need is GPSS steering which anticipates the up and coming turns in the flight plan and starts the turns early so as not to over fly the WP. All GPS's will do as the AV-MAP is doing. The A/P needs to have ARINC input and the GPS has to be able to output ARINC. The GRT EFIS will simulate GPSS steering and does a good job of it. Try flying direct to a WP and then as you approach it give the GPS a new goto and then ir will pick up the new heading.

Not the full story

The AVMAP actually will cause quite a bit more overshoot than say a Garmin because its track data lags by quite a few degrees. It a standard rate turn I see almost 30 degrees of lag on the AVMAP versus the EFIS heading, but only about 5 degrees of lag from the 396. This is a data filtering issue with the AVMAP and has been there forever. I just quit using the AVMAP for the autopilot and used the Garmin.

diagram

Anyone have a wiring diagram for the AvMap straight power cord? the manual I have doesn't show the power wires. The straight plug has red, white and black, which I assume is: Black=ground, Red=+12v, and white=?

EKP 4 vs Geopilot +

I am still 'shoppin' for a GPS. Does anyone have experience with these 2 units? is the display the only real difference? I don't think I have room for the EKP, and at half the price I think the Geopilot plus will work.
It seems the basic Geopilot will become obsolete, especially if I ever want to add weather or traffic.
any comments appreciated!!!

EKPIV is the one!

I do not know the Geo.... but I would never go without my EKPIV !
Just make room for it!

Regards, Tonny

Avmap EKP IV Database Updates

I purchased a used EKP IV and can not find any information on how to update the database. Can somebody provide this info. Also, how do you upgrade an older unit for xm weather? Thanks

I purchased a used EKP IV and can not find any information on how to update the database. Can somebody provide this info. Also, how do you upgrade an older unit for xm weather? Thanks

To update the data base you will need to call the AvMap folks in Mass.(number on website). After transfering credit card info and your memory card id # they will send you a file that you will need to upload onto your memory card. Software updates can be downloaded free from their website after you register your unit (new update was posted yesterday). You may need to purchase a larger memory card depending on how old your unit is. As for weather, you will need to purchase the WX receiver from them and then subscribe to the service from XM.

Good luck-I really like my unit.

Went to airventure with thoughts of buying AvMap but after talking to Vern in the AvMap booth was informed that this unit will accept only one outside source at a time. Autopilot-Weather-Traffic. Also on weather it will only accept the lowest ($29.99) weather package which does not give winds aloft. Decided not to buy for myself but is still a great unit for the money.

Qref guide for Geopilot

anyone use the Qref guide for the AvMap units?......preferably the geopilot?
Do you actually refer to it in the cockpit, or is it just for familiarization?
It looks like something useful to have handy, or for the passenger to use as well.
if someone want to sell one, I'm interested.

thx

Q-Ref has 2 different types of guides; A card and a book. The card is very useful in the cockpit as it acts similar to a checklist and you can quick reference the basic operation. The larger flip book is also quite useful, but closer to a user manual (a bit simpler to understand than the official AvMap manual). I imagine that if you got used to its layout it could be useful while flying, but I think it is more of a teaching tool.

BTW the people that I know that have gotten the Q-Ref for AvMap are very impressed, and according to Q-Ref the AvMap guides are very popular. SO far they have sold out at both Sun N Fun and Oshkosh in the last year.

Qref book

...yeah, no wonder they 'sell out' at the airshows. It costs $26 to ship this $24 book to me!
If anyone has the book, and would scan the crucial pages, and send me the images, I won't tell anyone.....and will make it worth your while!
I plan to do this anyway, to scale it down to kneeboard size, even if just so the co-pilot can use it to update things enroute!

Whatever happened to putting a book in the mail for $5? is that really no longer possible? Sheesh!!!

AVMAP IV DOWNLOAD.

Just purchased a used AVMAP IV with a 512 flash card. Saved download from AVMAP site to update software but can't open file S3E4HA SWX FILE 1900 KB AND S3E4VA SWX FILE 1941 KB. Have slot in hard drive to put card in but can't open file. Computer does not recognize SWX extension and is totally foreign to me. Search for program no help.. What am I doing wrong or how do I get the download on my CF card?

You don't need to open any of the files. Just transfer them to the card after removing the existing ones. Only remove the appropriate files. I always save the older files just as insurance.

Good Luck

Q ref for the Avmap

Personally, I found the Q ref card and book to be quite a disappointment. Thinking I would learn a great deal, I took the plunge. Mistake I say, save your money. This product is a "flash card" shortcut manual that doesn't help you learn the architecture.
Avmap is a great product with an incredibly poor manual. It takes lots of practice to learn to use it's unusual interface. Even more fortitude to figure out their funky website.
I got the best leg up from the German website everybody reads.
All that said, I love the Avmap EKP IV. Well worth the time it takes to get your head around it.

FWIW,
Chris

I too love my EKP IV. I understand there is a way to put pictures on it now, which I have not tried (need to upgrade the software.) Has anyone tried putting approach plates on the IV yet? Is it possible?

Bob Kelly

GPS to Dynon

Finally getting around to wiring my panel.

I'm thinking I want to hook my AvMap GPS to my Dynon 180. Am I correct to assume hooking the Yellow TXA wire on the AvMap 4 wire plug is the correct input to the Dynon 180 TX pin 22 yellow.

Any help would be great, Thanks

Additional cable required

Brian, I guess you are talking about the yellow wire in your power supply cable, right? Nowbody knows what that is for!
To hook up the Avmap to your Dynon, you need an additional interface cable. Check your manual, you will find the info there.

Regards, Tonny.

AvMap updates

Can anybody tell me, im close to buying an EKP IV PRO for my RV7A but how much do the software updates cost. I have heard rumours that a Garmin would be an alround better choice

AvMap fourm would be a great idea

Others in that general size range include the Garmin 696, the Bendix/King AV8OR ACE, the Adventure Pilot iFly and the Flight Cheetah 190.

The Ace appears to be the easiest to use, just from reading the excellent manual. Haven't seen any of these. They all seem to have their own advantages and defects. I have heard a rumor that the Ace is coming out with Sectional charts, if that matters.

David

David,
You are correct about the various units with advantages and disadvantages. I have an EKP IV which has a great display. The cost of updates are reasonable. I also have a Samsung Q1 which is the computer that the Flight Cheetah uses. Using software from Approach Integrated Cockpit it allows me to add another moving map and the best part is geo-referenced approach plates. The Flight Cheetah 190 and Samsung with APIC software do not produce a serial NMEA feed. But the display is large and the brightness sufficient, not great. You can download GEO-referenced sectionals from the government for $1.60 each and run a free version of Global Mapper on the Samsung Q1. It's great for situational awareness. Just another option. I like the Samsung since it can easily be removed and used for auto-navigation, web surfing and holds all my aircraft manuals and other data. There are lots of ways to skin a cat!

Here is an example of the GEO-referenced plate on the Samsung Q1

Here is the GEO-referenced sectional

I have flown with an EKP IV for almost five years and recently tested the iFly 700 (actually I am still testing it.) Advantages AvMap: it will drive an autopilot, has internal batteries, and the view from a side angle is better. Advantages iFly: Lighter, MUCH simpler to use, displays TFR's, sectionals, approach plates and airport diagrams. It is also the cheapest to update at $69 per year for everything. TFR's are shown on the map and are updated on the website several time per hour. At $500, it is about the cheapest GPS there is. That said, I would not give up my EKP IV because it drives my autopilot so well.

Bob Kelly

EKP IV Software update

Just purchased a used AVMAP IV with a 512 flash card. Saved download from AVMAP site to update software but can't open file S3E4HA SWX FILE 1900 KB AND S3E4VA SWX FILE 1941 KB. Have slot in hard drive to put card in but can't open file. Computer does not recognize SWX extension and is totally foreign to me. Search for program no help.. What am I doing wrong or how do I get the download on my CF card?

To update software you don't need to connect the Device to your PC, and you don't need to read the .swx extension, this is a file that only the navigator could read.
In order to update your device you need a CF-card reader, you cannot update your CF without it.

First of all download and unzip the update files from the AvMap support section.
Enable the show of hidden files. Create on your Desktop the folder 'Old CF' and copy in it all the files from the CF (is the backup folder if something goes wrong).
Omit to copy the 'CHARTS' folder. Create on your Desktop the folder 'New CF' and copy in it the same files you copied in 'Old CF'. Replace the files format .swx in 'New CF' with the ones you downloaded from internet.

Overwrite the files in the CF with the ones in 'New CF' (do not touch the CHART folder). Turn on the EKP IV and verify if the procedure was correctly executed. If not, reinstall in the CF the files from 'Old CF' and repeat the procedure.

NOTE! : this procedure can delete all user marks from the RAM. Save them first in the CF with File Manager.

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Bjorn, welcome to VAF.

Sounds like you work at the AvMap facility, is that correct??

Sure do hope so, as this is a truly wonderful unit, will be good to have direct access to someone who can assist with the questions not taken care of in the user guide.

Glad to have you as part of VAF.

Post edited...will give AVMAP one more chance to make it right...if not, I will post my rant

Last edited:
AvMap EXP IV

Hello to all of you. I purchased the above mentioned AvMap last summer at Oshkosh. For personal reasons, I didn't start using it until the fall. Until recently, despite reading the full manual and working with a friend who has one, I couldn't understand a thing in the user manual. Basically, the user manual is not user friendly. So, I contacted the company from which I purchased it and ultimately contacted Dan Lyon at Avmap Headquarters in the U.S. I was looking for a local dealer to show me how to use it. There were none in Northern California. He admitted there was a problem with the instructions since they were directly interpreted from Italian (they are made in Italy). -Yuh think so? :( He admitted he had many complaints about the lack of information on how to use it and "they are working on it". This is also known as "pound salt".:mad: He did refer me to a easy to read and comprehend book written for this purpose. (Those of us who can't understand the user manual). It is called AvMap EXPIV Quick Reg Book. It costs 29.95 and you can order it at www.qref.com/aviation/gps-checklists/. Also, there is card you can order with it that has a quick reference to refer to when flying and you can order that from Quick Ref or My Pilot Store. Hope this helps everyone. I will let you know how the book works out.

PJ

Avmap users group

I started an Avmap users group a little while ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/avmap-aviation-gps

It's low traffic (to say the least), but you must subscribe to the group (minimize spamming and protect email addresses).

There is a pdf in the files section that provides for Avmap shortcuts that you might find useful. Panel install of the EKP-IV is also shown.

AvMap EXP IV

I received the instruction booklet and summary card for my AvMap. They Worked Great! I could easily understand the directions and they were repeated, in shorter form, on my instruction card. I will bring the card with me and leave the instructions at home. To test it out, I did an old fashioned manual flight plan with all information like GS, ETE, Airport Info., Fuel, Compass Heading and Distance, etc. Everything was on the Avmap after you complete the flight plan info. and go back to the same page as the flight plan menu.

Yea! Good Luck Everyone.;)

Flush Mounting EKP IV

Has anyone flush mounted their AVMAP EKP IV? I have been flying with mine clamped in the panel protruding, but would like to have it flushed with my Dynon D-180.

Rocky

Mine is panel mounted with an AirGizmo.

Here is a good shot of it installed, photo stolen from Stephen Johnston:D

IMG_2026.JPG

Others have used angle stock and the kneeboard adapter to flush mount it. There are posts showing this, but at least a couple years old.

Try using the search function, be sure to set the search for "any time" not limit to only a year.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I have mine mounted using the kneepad with angles attached but this leaves the unit protruding from the panel about 3/4". The velcro has lost some strength and the unit has come lose on more than one occasion. I haven't seen a thread with a flush mount, but I'm sure it could be done with a little effort.

avmap joystick use....

Hey users!....
those that have a panel mount, how hard is it to use the joystick?
I find it a real challenge to use, but with my fingers grasping the edge of the unit, my thumb control is not bad. Even so, I still have trouble 'depressing' the joystick to make a selection. ( this is at my kitchen table mostly!!!!)

I'm just not sold on it. Maybe I'm a potential touch-screen user?

Mine is mounted, and the only problem I have is during turbulence. Since it is mounted vertically, I rest my hand on the left edge as I work the joystick. It can be touchy, and bumps don't help at all. It hasn't been too much of a problem. I have beta-tested touch screen models and they are (IMHO) harder to do fine control. Unless you brace your hand, you will hit the wrong menu item. Then again, maybe it's just me...

Bob Kelly

As Bob stated, during turbulence (even light) using the joy stick can be a pain. I brace my palm on the edge of the unit and use my thumb for navigation which works most of the time. Sometimes you just have to wait for a calm spot and ready to pounce on the opportunity. Another technique is to make small moves either vertical or horizontal. Diagonal movements are more difficult to control.

I will reccomend to be easy when handling the joystick...mine came off the pannel and the complete mother board had to be replaced = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AvMap IV NMEA - which codes

I can't figure out which NMEA message codes to turn on for the EKP IV to talk to my Navaid AP-1 A/P.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Mike N539RV

NMEA message codes

Hello Mike
Maybe you did this already but let's make sure...

Follow this sequence...

Go to Menu ( 1 SEC ) + Communications+ enter+ nmea output+ enter

Default is : OFF ( Click on : Direct

Then select the nmea messages codes: RMA,RMB,RMC...( Those are the ones selected in my setup )

You could select them all and the Navaid will still work fine..

My AVMAP talks to the Navaid via a Smart coupler 2 but I'm sure it's the same with the Smart coupler Lite..

I believe the GPS has to be set to external but I''ll check tomorrow when I fly my -4
Will let you know if it is different..

EKPV

:)Avemap debuted there new EKPV, this will be replacing the EKP-IV,it will be paired with a panel mounted docking station so you will be able to connect several devices at the same time. They said the final version will be out around October and go for around $2200. with the docking station. It is a very nice looking unit.

Ken,
Is it about the same size as the IV? Just wondering how easy/difficult it would be to mount where I have the IV now.

Bill

EKPV

The screen size is the same but the outer shell is a little smaller and much thinner so the cutout in the panel for their docking station will be smaller.It now has the antenna built into the unit, it also has a built in altimeter and magnetic compass. It now has a newly designed joy stick with a thumb wheel to scroll through the different screens faster, it also has a page that brings up a keyboard to make it easier to inter information. The screen also looked much clearer and easy to read. If everything works as well as they are saying I think this is going to be a very nice unit. They passed out a nice little flyer but I could not find allot of information on their website. I also asked several of the avionics dealers at the show what they thought of the new EKPV unit and all of them said the same thing What new unit.

I'd like to see it....although I haven't even flown my IV. yet another piece of equipment that is obsolete before it is turned on.

First person to find a link about the new unit and posts it here gets a big giant attaboy from me.

Back