What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

cowling bolts on top only?

larrys

Well Known Member
Sorry if the same questions is asked, if so please point me to the thread.

I am installing the top cowling and I can not see the hinge pins that need to bend working well. I tried the toilet ring wax and smoothing angles on the hinge and just seems much better to use some sort of bolts/clips on the top. I feel the hinge pins on the sides horizontal and vertical would most likely work well.

Is there a way to use the hinge that came installed on the QB fuselage? It would be great if someone out there has some pictures of what they did and the bolts they used.

Thanks for your help!
Larry

The hinge pins work well to secure the cowling and provide a nice clean closure. They are tight at first - boelube works well, but they become easier to install and remove with use. You should prebend the pins to approximate the cowling perimeter. You can also get a smaller diameter hinge pin from Van’s, if necessary.

By cowling bolts, I think you mean Camlocs. Some folks use camlocs for cowling closure, but I understand you can see pillowing between them at speed.

Last edited:
Back