What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milestone, Engine hung !!

riseric

Well Known Member
Patron
Long time with no updates.

I thought I could just share this as I believe it a milestone.

Engine hung today :cool:

It was a challenge as I was alone with only my trusted engine hoist.

Tail down with no extra weight in the rear.

I had to temporarely remove the oil filter so the back could fit through the engine mount.
Then a combination of up/down & left/right moves and I could insert the top bolts, then the bottom ones which were a bit more hassle. I used a lone bolt on one side without the aft Lord mount to help align the bottom engine holes.

Once the 4 bolts bottomed-out, I relieved the hydraulic pressure from the hoist to check for balance and nothing moved, no tip over...
Between 2 & 3 small washers were needed for the castle nuts, then I torqued and installed the cotter-pins.

Next is the propeller and cowl...

Attachments

• IMG_4474.jpg
    IMG_4474.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 346
Congrats, good to celebrate any milestone!!

I installed my engine mount to the hanging engine, about 10 min, then spent the next hour+ finding/making wrenches and positions to do the torque and get the dang cotter pin installed!! Like a Rubics cube!

Congrats from your neighbour! Looking forward to seeing your masterpiece fly at CNV9.:)

Thanks guys !!!
I confirm the cotter pins are a PIA...
I read that some installations use a metal lock-nut instead.
Good idea or not?

Congrats, good to celebrate any milestone!!

I installed my engine mount to the hanging engine, about 10 min, then spent the next hour+ finding/making wrenches and positions to do the torque and get the dang cotter pin installed!! Like a Rubics cube!

Bill, so from your experience, the mount to the hanging engine then to the fuselage was a non-issue???

Back