What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 at The Van Cave

chrispratt

Well Known Member
I had the opportunity to sit in the RV-14 today while it was overnighting at The Van Cave at 52F (Northwest Regional Airport) Roanoke, Texas. For an RV-8 driver, I didn't know what to make of all the room. You won't be rubbing shoulders with your flight mate in this airplane.

And the headroom has to be experienced for yourself. The canopy plexi area is huge by comparison with other RVs.

How do you get that tall open canopy to close? Start at the side and pull it down so you can reach the handle in the center of the frame. Even when closed I had a good 6 inches of headroom.

I was impressed. This is definitely an airplane to consider if you're on the fence about which model to build.

Follow the link below to a few photos if you are interested. (Sorry but Picasa has changed its format lately and I can't figure out how to get images to appear on this page.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/115662572593930035870/RV14At52F462013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Chris

I had the opportunity to sit in the RV-14 today while it was overnighting at The Van Cave at 52F (Northwest Regional Airport) Roanoke, Texas. For an RV-8 driver, I didn't know what to make of all the room. You won't be rubbing shoulders with your flight mate in this airplane.

And the headroom has to be experienced for yourself. The canopy plexi area is huge by comparison with other RVs.

How do you get that tall open canopy to close? Start at the side and pull it down so you can reach the handle in the center of the frame. Even when closed I had a good 6 inches of headroom.

I was impressed. This is definitely an airplane to consider if you're on the fence about which model to build.

Follow the link below to a few photos if you are interested. (Sorry but Picasa has changed its format lately and I can't figure out how to get images to appear on this page.)

https://picasaweb.google.com/115662572593930035870/RV14At52F462013?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Chris
IMG_5499.JPG

IMG_5498.JPG
IMG_5506.JPG

IMG_5502.JPG

There you go Chris.

Last edited:
Can we talk the folks at Vans into bringing the -14 here to the east coast? They should start with New Jersey and work their way down! And while we are at it I would like to see the -10 too. I will chip in for the gas!!

Juan

P.S. Just curious Are there any -10 owners here in New Jersey?

Juan

Can we talk the folks at Vans into bringing the -14 here to the east coast? They should start with New Jersey and work their way down! And while we are at it I would like to see the -10 too. I will chip in for the gas!!

Juan

P.S. Just curious Are there any -10 owners here in New Jersey?

Juan

Get the contact info for Van's east coast rep. (it's on the web site).

He has a demo RV-10 and 12 in Maryland, and in the future, will have an RV-14A.

Can you give us an update on how far along Mitch's RV-14 is now?

Not that much further along than many of you builders. Think of him as a Beta tester of the next kit before it is released to customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris Pratt
Not being too personal I hope, but what size fella would ye be?
Hoping to work out the scale, so to speak.
John

Don't know about Chris but I sat in the 14 at OSH last year. As a data point at 6'5" I had about 2" of room between my head and the canopy and was both comfortable and impressed. Much roomier than the 6's and 7's I have sat in. Van's folks said there was lots of cushion in the 14 demonstrator seat bottoms and you could easily lose another inch or so without sacrificing comfort.

Nice!

Hey Chris........I was wondering what modifications, parts, or jigs u made to or for the -14 while it was sitting there at 52F and no one was looking???:D:D:D

LOL-----I guess I need a booster seat and pedal extensions!!!

yep---planning on sitting in it at SNF--------just to see.
Tom

Chris Pratt
Not being too personal I hope, but what size fella would ye be?
Hoping to work out the scale, so to speak.
John

John:

I'm 5' 10", 160 pounds. I'd probably raise the seat a little if I were building, but very impressed with the visibility all around.

Chris

Hey Chris........I was wondering what modifications, parts, or jigs u made to or for the -14 while it was sitting there at 52F and no one was looking???:D:D:D

Well I kept thinking, "Hmmm, the tailwheel is in the wrong place. Gotta fix that." ;)

I'm also working on an arm extension mod so I can just reach up and grab the center canopy latch -- it's sure a long ways away when you're seated. I think the Canadians built one for the space station I could modify. Should be about right.

Most of the other modifications involved my wallet, as I see it getting thinner if I decide to build one of these.

Chris

Anyone know when the tailwheel version is due out?

Per Joe Blank who I spoke with at 52F on Saturday, they are working on it now and about to test the design. Apparently, Van's has to build a full fuselage mockup to perform drop tests. That effort has consumed a lot of time but is making progress. If I heard correctly from Joe, the tailwheel version will have the tubular gear ala RV-6, -7 etc. and not the flat steel gear used on the -8 and the tri-gear -14. So additional design changes are still in the works to incorporate all that.

Chris

Per Joe Blank who I spoke with at 52F on Saturday, they are working on it now and about to test the design. Apparently, Van's has to build a full fuselage mockup to perform drop tests. That effort has consumed a lot of time but is making progress. If I heard correctly from Joe, the tailwheel version will have the tubular gear ala RV-6, -7 etc. and not the flat steel gear used on the -8 and the tri-gear -14. So additional design changes are still in the works to incorporate all that.

Chris

Chris,

The taper rod (Whitman style) gearleg design is not tubular, but rather a solid rod gear leg. There is a lot of testing going on with the -14 in a number of different areas that I can't really discuss. Suffice to say, the TW version is being worked on and the testing is being done in a very thorough and detailed manner. Just like the RV-12 development path, we need to give the engineering team the time and space to get it done. It'll be ready when it's right... :cool:

I think folks will really enjoy this aircraft for the particular role that it fills. I can't say enough good things about the model, it's utility, and the handling and performance numbers. You will absolutley love it!

Chris,

The taper rod (Whitman style) gearleg design is not tubular, but rather a solid rod gear leg. There is a lot of testing going on with the -14 in a number of different areas that I can't really discuss. Suffice to say, the TW version is being worked on and the testing is being done in a very thorough and detailed manner. Just like the RV-12 development path, we need to give the engineering team the time and space to get it done. It'll be ready when it's right... :cool:

I think folks will really enjoy this aircraft for the particular role that it fills. I can't say enough good things about the model, it's utility, and the handling and performance numbers. You will absolutley love it!

Thanks Joe for setting me straight on the gear (I learned something today) and for adding some helpful information for readers. I enjoyed seeing you again. Enjoy Florida.

Chris

Back