What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Motor mount bolts

Plummit

Well Known Member
So today I'll be installing my new Lord mounts, along with a new bolt set from Vans. the bolt set came with 8 flat washers. Is it one under the bolt head and one above the nut, or 2 above the nut? My plans are older and show none under the bolts with castellated nuts and cotter pins.

-Marc

I just got these FF1 plans from Vans.
Not sure if it's helpful for you at all.
Hopefully others that have done this recently can chime in.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.10.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-08 at 11.10.14 AM.png
    261.3 KB · Views: 435
Thanks for the Pic! Unfortunately the bolt kit I bought from Van's has 8 washers and the Pic only shows 4.

Marc

I have another question regarding the mount bolts....

Mine don't have 1.5 threads showing past bolt end with proper torque. However, with the lock nut style it has 6 threads showing inside the "locking portion" of the nut. Is this acceptable with this style nut?

Attachments

• o8Ol5mt9RM2NPvj7h64DWw.jpg
    o8Ol5mt9RM2NPvj7h64DWw.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 228
If you are referring to the large washers Vans provides, they are used to shim the engine up after the mounts sag. Only the NAS washer is used under the nut. Refer to the FF1 diagram above for the proper initial installation. In reference to the number of threads showing, the threads must be showing outside the locking portion.

If you are referring to the large washers Vans provides, they are used to shim the engine up after the mounts sag. Only the NAS washer is used under the nut. Refer to the FF1 diagram above for the proper initial installation. In reference to the number of threads showing, the threads must be showing outside the locking portion.

The Van's part # EA Dyna Bolt I(0)-540 contains:

(4) AN7-26A Bolts
(4) MS20365-720 Nuts
(8) NAS 1149F9F0763P Washers

So why are there 8 washers when the current plans only show 4?

Second question, You obviously want a washer under the nut, but is also putting a washer under the bolt head contraindicated?

-Marc

The Van's part # EA Dyna Bolt I(0)-540 contains:

(4) AN7-26A Bolts
(4) MS20365-720 Nuts
(8) NAS 1149F9F0763P Washers

So why are there 8 washers when the current plans only show 4?

Second question, You obviously want a washer under the nut, but is also putting a washer under the bolt head contraindicated?

-Marc

look at post #4. Two washers are provided in case one doesn't provide enough clearance at the end of the threads near the shank. Don't want nut to stop due to end of threads. The torque should fully be applied to tension on the bolt. The BOM may also be from when they used castellated nuts. I needed two washers on the the nut to get it out far enough for cotter pin engagement. Washer goes under the head or nut, depending upon which on will be rotated during tightening. No harm in putting a washer under each; Just not necessary to do so.

Last edited:
Same thing happens with the wing bolts. I had to add another one on a few of the bolts - but this time, instead of sending extra, Van’s only provided one per bolt. Luckily, someone warned me and I ordered a few extra prior to installing my wings

Back