What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sub Panel Cutout and Wire Routing

rapid_ascent

Well Known Member
Of my many tasks that I have going simultaneously I've been working on the schematic and wiring of my radio stack. That is going pretty well and I think I have most of it figured out. I have a GMC507, PMA8000B, GNS430W, GTR200 and GTX335 in my stack.

The GNS430W and the GTR200 both need to have a hole through my sub-panel I think. Other than figuring out exactly where that hole needs to be seems it seems straight forward. I was thinking I might frame that hole with angle in some way to strengthen up. I haven't figured that part out yet.

Now to the point of this post. As I start routing the wires form each of the radios and the transponder the only way I can see to support the wire bundles is to install cable clamps on the side of the radio stack and this appears to be the standard method from some of the pics that I have seen online. So, if I go down this path which seems to be the standard one how have others handled the clearance through the sub panel for the units that pass through the cutout? Did you just make the cutout wider to allow for the cable bundles? This seems like what is needed. How did you protect the wire bundles?

Any pics of your radio stack and sub panel would be very helpful.

Ray,
Yes the 430 needs a hole in the subpanel. Can't say about the other.

For lightness, consider using the native subpanel metal to form integral stiffening angles.
Drill holes in the corners of the 430 hole location. Snip at a 45 deg angle away from the drilled holes towards the center of the rectangle. Bend flanges with your pliers style flange tool or something similar. Trim the flanges to length, deburr etc.

Sorry, no construction log pics available to me at the moment.

Last edited:
Back