What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon EMS and EarthX remote Sensor

Lynnb

Well Known Member
I"m trying to connect the EarthX remote sensor wire to the Dynon EMS. I ran a wire from pin 10 to the back and as soon as I connect it, the red fault light on the battery comes on, disconnect the light goes out. Is this because I haven't configured pin 10 (Brown/Yellow) yet in the set-up, or is there something else I need to do? I read one user installed an in-line diode, is this needed?

Looks like this might be normal though, found this in the earthX installation docs:
Configure the input as “active low”, “alarm” type. Note; when Dynon power is off the LED inside battery
may be dimly lit (less than 120uA, too small to drain the battery).

Last edited:
When I installed the EarthX battery and hooked up to display on my Skyview, I noticed the red light on the battery was on. I called EarthX and talked to an engineer. He said that was normal that the Skyview had a high resistance on that line and it caused a dim lighting of the red light on the battery. He said it would not discharge the battery.

I have had it installed for over a year and never any problems.

When I installed the EarthX battery and hooked up to display on my Skyview, I noticed the red light on the battery was on. I called EarthX and talked to an engineer. He said that was normal that the Skyview had a high resistance on that line and it caused a dim lighting of the red light on the battery. He said it would not discharge the battery.

I have had it installed for over a year and never any problems.

Good to know, thanks!

I think we're discussing two different things here.

John is right: There's usually a dim glow in the battery fault light. It's always there in my panel-mounted LED. Kathy's folks told me the light may glow dimly because of a reference voltage in that line. No problems with it.

Lynn, are you saying the fault indication comes on steady? Do you also see a dim glow in the battery light? I'm no pro, but I think you might need some additional work in the EMS settings.

You're gonna love that battery. It's awesome!

Earth X

Not sure if this applies. Try contacting Dynon. I just installed the EarthX in my RV7A and pinned the battery to the EFIS main cable (25 pin) on my AFS 5600 (not EMS) after talking to Advanced. Warning now works after configuring EFS. On 5600, can use open pin 8, 17, or 20. Best to contact Dynon though. Battery works great at 1/4 the weight of Odyssey.

I configured it today in the EMS set-up screens with the settings provided on the EarthX documentation. The light on the battery only comes on when I plug in the sensor wire, and I would call the light Dim, since it didn't really jump out at me from the dark tail. It also goes out as soon as I turn on the battery switch to power the EMS and panel.

Back