What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Wing Root Filter Addition

Aircraft Specialty

Well Known Member
Aircraft Specialty Flightlines is excited to announce a Wing Root Filter addition option to our cabin fuel packages.

Whether you are utilizing the standard fuel system, the SDS fuel system, or the EFII fuel system, we have developed an optional kit to replace your center tunnel mounted filter to two separate wing root mounted filters for easier servicing.

More information can be found at http://aircraftspecialty.com/rv10products.html.

Here is a link to the pdf install guide showing the new wing root setup.

http://www.aircraftspecialty.com/PDF Documents/RV10 WING ROOT INSTALL.pdf

As always, please feel free to give Tom or I a call if you have any questions. Builder feedback and requests drives our R and D projects, and this one came about as the result of builder requests.

Have a great week and happy building!!!!

Steve

This is awesome Steve - I wish you had it about 8 months ago. I wound up putting a fuel filter on each tank under my seats. This would have been much easier!

We've been playing with this for quite a while. WE did the under seat install mods, but really didnt like them. For the SDS/EFii builders we did dual filters at the pumps. Didnt like that either, but it moved things forward.
One of our Canadian clients wanted gascolators in the wing roots, so that started us really thinking about it.
Not perfect--but with the shutoff valve, we think its about as compact as it can be.
Shutoff valve?? Yep- we didnt want guys pulling the tank drains and dumping fuel into cans in a hangar/shop. Something about fumes and electrical that just didnt mix. So--enter the shutoff valves. The Holley filters are what Ross uses in his SDS systems, and was adaptable.

Tom

We've been playing with this for quite a while. WE did the under seat install mods, but really didnt like them. For the SDS/EFii builders we did dual filters at the pumps. Didnt like that either, but it moved things forward.
One of our Canadian clients wanted gascolators in the wing roots, so that started us really thinking about it.
Not perfect--but with the shutoff valve, we think its about as compact as it can be.
Shutoff valve?? Yep- we didnt want guys pulling the tank drains and dumping fuel into cans in a hangar/shop. Something about fumes and electrical that just didnt mix. So--enter the shutoff valves. The Holley filters are what Ross uses in his SDS systems, and was adaptable.

Tom

Makes me wonder if I should change my "dual filters at the pumps" in the tunnel for this... hmmm...

I actually already have a 2nd Holley Pre Filter sitting around when I was thinking of putting them under the seats.

The only reason i moved mine out of the tunnel is I didn’t want to have to screw around down there. I have working in there even with the removable access panel.

The only reason i moved mine out of the tunnel is I didn’t want to have to screw around down there. I have working in there even with the removable access panel.

True.
I put access panels on both sides of the tunnel, but still.
I also put my pump and filter module assembly onto a piece of aluminium sheet sitting on angles with nut plates to allow me to unscrew it and remove the whole sub-assembly, but I'd still have to remove the top cover, which will be a pain.

I presume the post filter is still in the tunnel mounted directly to the outlet of the pump module.

For the SDS or EFii post filter, we install it FWF. Just for the maintenance situations you are talking about.

Tom

It looks like you copied the rv14 location for the return? I did the same but it requires notching one of the upper tank stiffeners about 1/8”. If you move the va141 down and forward 1/8” you get just enough clearance to work.

I hate to rain on your parade, but 3 - 90 degree fittings and a filter on the suction side All in the wing root is asking for trouble. Many of us have eliminated all of the 90 deg fittings to cure the random pressure drops during climb out. This
occurs only when running solely on the mechanical pump.

While that may work fine, this is what I was addressing

Whether you are utilizing the standard fuel system, the SDS fuel system, or the EFII fuel system“

Well I'll address this as best I can. You have -6 sized lines---could be rigid tubes, could be--in this case --hose. You have a minumal amount of space, and you have to turn the fuel 180*. YES, some sweeping 180* stainless rigid tubes would be fabulous. But as we know, minor differences in builds sometimes leads to fit issues, and hose was the easiest way to make all of this happen.

YES---you can use straight fittings and hose---but I think it would look like a Pretzel. WE attempted to provide a solution to some requests, generally from builders that didnt want the filters in the tunnel area. 1st effort was the underseat filter install. Great idea that didnt necessarily solve the real issue. The request from a Canadian client for a root gascolator started all of this---
I dont see any way to do this install without some 90*s.

This was generally intended for the electronic systems with higher suction and discharge pressures. We talked to Ross quite a bit about this.
I guess I'll have to make a science project sized mock up for the entire fuel system as its laid out to at least the boost pumps, and get Don to run it on his flow bench. (Dont think we can get someones RV10 in his flow bench room.)
More to come!

Tom

I suggest that before modifying the existing system for stock installations, some testing should be done.

There are a lot of us that have seen the pressure drops during climb out. I had two 90s in my wing root that I eliminated in addition to the 90 deg. going into the tunnel. That solved my problem completely. I know that many have continuous hose assembly runs from the tanks to the fuel selector and have never seen this problem. The 90 degree fittings can cause turbulence and contribute to vapor lock. Maybe use 90 degree integrated hose fittings instead.

Bill---I get it, some have issues that others dont seem to have. Boy I wish I had the resources and the building to put all the toys in place. And the smart people to run them!
WE thought about using our -6 90* hose ends
attachment.php

space just wasnt there.
Maybe I'll get some time to refine this.
Tom

Attachments

• ASFF0690.jpg
    ASFF0690.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 378
well some minor issues here.
attachment.php

This is the RV10 tank end rib. Lower bung for the finger strainer in the stock location. Normally a AN816-6-6D with a screen. Replaced in this mockup by a AN816-6-6D since we arent dealing with inside the tank stuff. Straight nipple. There is +- 6.5 inches from the side skin to the tank rib. The filter body is 3.5 without fittings. The shutoff valve is 3.315 flare to flare.

There is 9.375 from the centerline of the VA141 tank bung in the stock pre punched holes to the inside edge of the F1005-K forward bracket. As shown, we have 9.25 from the very forward edge of the 90* AN fitting to the centerline of the 90* that goes into the tank nipple. A bent tube 90* might just fit in place, but anything longer than .500 flare to centerline allows contact at the nose bracket. Same with a straight nipple and a 90* bent tube at the filter exit. Space is very constrained. WE thought about possibly stacking the valve and the filter, but the flight controls are there. WE thought about running the valve and filter perpendicular to the side skin and the tank rib, with straight fittings, and 180* bent tubes to connect the filter and valve. Not enough room. Could actually do it with the RV14 because of the different fuselage fitting placement.

VERY open to suggestions. Yes we could use a different --shorter filter. Since this wwas originally designed for the SDS injection package, the Holley filters are what Ross sales and recommends, so we stayed with that.

BTW-----I'd love to be able to put the pumps in the tanks---but that just isnt a likely solution with all the corresponding issues. LOL----sure would make plumbing easier, but maintenance would be a nightmare.

Again---open to suggestions!!!!
Tom

Attachments

• RV10 FULL SCALE REV4 TOP VIEW 8.4.jpg
    RV10 FULL SCALE REV4 TOP VIEW 8.4.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 466
Maybe I better submit my present setup for critique here. I inherited this from a previous owner who had the fuel system done when I bought the kit, but it's mentioned in older threads here on VAF. Bendix injection, EFII electric pump. Flows 44 gph in a static test. Both sides symmetrical.

cPjDgeA7SqqYKMnzntBTjA.jpg

I did something very similar Bill... although I have normal fuel injection. I just wanted maintenance to be easier than having to deal with the tunnel. I originally wanted to put these in the wing root.

Attachments

• 5C64CEFA-721D-4D7D-AA38-C185FCDBAE1E.jpg
    5C64CEFA-721D-4D7D-AA38-C185FCDBAE1E.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 318
  • C9E71E46-AA3C-46C0-AC82-66C063539D73.jpg
    C9E71E46-AA3C-46C0-AC82-66C063539D73.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 278
WE did this ---originally for the underseat filters for the SDS install.
attachment.php

The 90* bulkhead fitting is stock in the tunnel side--The Holley filter is the SDS recommended version, with 3/8 NPT ports. We used a 3/8 NPT/-6 Female AN adapter to make the connection. Filter just happens to fit between the line clamps riveted to the floor.

Was a good idea, an achieved the goal of getting the filters away from the tunnel. Didnt solve the issue of fuel filters in the cabin, that many of you were wanting to move. Still had to put a shutoff valve in the system, or drain the tanks to a level below the filters so they could be serviced. But got them away from the pump. Still have this version available, but going more to the root filter packages.

For those concerned about extra 90* AN fittings, this can be done with either a single hose from the filter to the tank---like the plans with a grommet in the sides, or a straight bulkhead fitting and a second hose. Can make that hose with 2 straights---looks like an "S", or with a 90* mandrel bent hose end like I posted yesterday. Thats without the shutoff valve, so you would still have to drain the tanks to a point where you could service the filters, or fly around until you reached "X" fuel quantity. Really NOT thrilled about guys draining fuel tanks in hangars with containers and fumes.

So--any other suggestions are welcome!

Tom

Attachments

• RV10 under seat filter install.jpg
    RV10 under seat filter install.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 457
Good point about the shutoff valves, Tom.

As for draining fuel, there is a risk of a triboelectric spark in wintertime if grounding precautions aren't taken. But a hangar with the door open is pretty much an unenclosed space.

Summertime humidity around here is such that static is not a worry :D

Richard---that actually is a really good place for the Aerolabs gascolator. We'd have to move it alittle bit to clear the brake hose, but I dont see any real problems. UH---you dont mind if we play with that idea, do you?
Tom

Richard---that actually is a really good place for the Aerolabs gascolator. We'd have to move it alittle bit to clear the brake hose, but I dont see any real problems. UH---you dont mind if we play with that idea, do you?
Tom

Of course Tom,
I was also planning to talk to you for the filter to the tank portion of this setup.
It probably requires a combination of rigid and hose.
I’ll take some measurements and photos and mail them to you.
I’d planned on leaving this until the wings are on, but we can probably figure it out without waiting for that.
Cheers.

Tom, habe you done any more work on the Aerolab gascolator placement that Richard shows? I'm nearing wing install and need to decide on where to install gascolators.

With these two, would you remove the filter in the tunnel post pump? Or a third Aerolab post pump?

Thanks,

Hi Rob----UHHHHHH no we havent. We've been swamped with several other things, and I just havent gotten to it.
Tell you what --we do have a client in Savannah that building a really NICE 10--pretty sure I can go and do some planning using his plane.
As for the extra filters, IF you are using a stock injection then a post pump filter probably isnt necessary. If you are using an electronic system, like SDS or EFii, I WOULD put a post filter. WE do ours FWF. Easier maintenance.
Tom

Thanks. Yes standard Airflow F/I.

Please see what you can do with the Savanna -10 as I'll be working this in 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!

But Tom, But Tom. How about the Aerolab gascolator placement that Richard shows?

But Steve, But Steve...

Last edited:
Hi Rob. Sorry, we've been ailttle hung up on a few things, but I did get to play with the Aerolabs install on a 'crude' mockup. Easy answer is yes it can be done, and is feasible. The more difficult answer is the exact location of the gascolator. A locating template would need to be made so any installs would be in the same place. Big reason is the very short distance from the gascolator inlet to the side hole in the fuselage skin, assuming that a bulkhead fitting is used. Obviously, if the open hole is used, this becomes a moot point.
With a bulkhead fitting, the distance from the inlet to the fitting could be as little as 3/4 inch, with a height offset difference of 1/2 inch. So creative orientation comes into play. In Richard Connell's install, the side holes were open, so that eliminated the use of a rigid tube.

I think that any of these installs would be custome creations, but certainly doable.

Tom

Back