What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Classic Aero RV-14 Side Panels

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
RV-14 Side Panels are here! The usual Classic Aero quality .. A new latch system, vent cover trim, and they even included tools and thick plastic drilling templates .. nice! :D

(click for full size image)

Last edited:
Looking forward to Pics

I can't wait to see what your cockpit looks like when they are all installed. Seems like a million rivets away from where I am...

Please update post with pic once it installed. Also, curious to the colors you picked?

Thanks

Looks awesome

My side panels have just been dispatched today. Looking at the instructions I had no idea the installation would be that complex, but that's OK.
I've been waiting impatiently but I'm sure once they are installed it will have been worth it. The seats and carpet I already have are very well made.

Waiting & waiting for weight

I?m still waiting for my side panels. I am also interested it the weight of the kit. Anybody?

Holy rivet head, that new canopy latch looks stout. Like the red handle.
10,000 latching before overhaul.

R

Classic Aero latch system

RV-14 Side Panels are here! The usual Classic Aero quality .. A new latch system

Is the latch a drop-in replacement for the original Van's latch? Is it different in design other than a nicer looking red knob?

If you have a chance to take a photo after installing the new latch (and before it is surrounded by the side panel) I'd like to see it. I might order it even if I don't install the side panels.

Thanks,

Is the latch a drop-in replacement for the original Van's latch? Is it different in design other than a nicer looking red knob?

It's not, the latch is part of an entirely new open and closing mechanism to accommodate the panels. The geometry is different, it wouldn't work as a drop in replacement.

It's not, the latch is part of an entirely new open and closing mechanism to accommodate the panels. The geometry is different, it wouldn't work as a drop in replacement.

What do you have to change to install it then? Surely it doesn't require modifying the slot in the outer skin or drilling new rivet holes which would mess up your paint...?

What do you have to change to install it then? Surely it doesn't require modifying the slot in the outer skin or drilling new rivet holes which would mess up your paint...?

You don’t have to drill through the outer skin. I’ll get some pics up when I do the install. It’s a very nice upgrade.

Install complete! Wow. They really finish up the airplane. Great quality. My favorite part is the new latch system, it not only looks nice the action feels very positive and not flimsy like the original. The install took about 8 hours over two days. Worth it.

(click pic for full resolution)

Last edited:
Awesome

That is really nice. My kit just shipped and I?m going to install it the first part of November. Any tips on the install would be appreciated.

T-drift: I may have my XP-400 replacement soon also. I might be back in the air before 2020!

Whoa!

That looks fantastic! I'm debating whether or not to install the 45 degree brackets to mount the circuit breaker panel. Any thoughts?

Install complete! Wow. They really finish up the airplane. Great quality. My favorite part is the new latch system, it not only looks nice the action feels very positive and not flimsy like the original. The install took about 8 hours over two days. Worth it.

(click pic for full resolution)

That looks fantastic! I'm debating whether or not to install the 45 degree brackets to mount the circuit breaker panel. Any thoughts?
I considered it and think it looks nice but since there is a serviceable item under that area and with a bunch of wires, it may cause the access a bit more pain so I decided against it.

I would also be interested in the pros & cons of mounting it there versus elsewhere.

How long did it take to get your side panels after you ordered them? I ordered side panels on 9-12.

I ordered mine when they were first introduced - February, I think. My original delivery was mid-June. I got them this week. Admittedly, they were going through a lot of changes to move to in-house fabrication of a lot of metal parts and there were typical development issues for a new product, but if I were you, I would not get too anxious to see product before the first of the year. They have a lot of back-log to complete. They are pretty, though, so I think it will be worth my wait. YMMV

Last edited:
Side Panels Installed!

I completed the installation of the side panels. I first want to say that the gang at Classic Aero knocked this out of the park. The kit is extremely well designed and fabricated and really makes the interior look great. I get why it took so long to plan and produce. Awesome product!

Although none of it is visible I took the time to debur and paint all of the various brackets and hardware prior to installation. One thing to mention is some of the parts were mislabeled. The labels indicated left or right but the part was actually for the other side. Not a big deal as it was pretty obvious where they were supposed to go. There were also some minor errors in the installation instructions which I sent to Jeremiah ant Classic Aero so they can make corrections.

I weighed the box when I got it, then re-weighed it with all the packaging and stuff that remained after the install (drill extension, drill bits etc.) The math came out to 8.4# added weight.

It is hard to get good pictures but here are a few. Now I just need my engine back!

Back