What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CP 214 rivet squeezer

dstr

I'm New Here
Hi,
I'm sorry, this is probably off topic from RV building in the sense that I'm probably going to build my own (real) airplane. However, when trying to find more information about rivet squeezers this forum comes up time and time again so I hope my question(s) are ok anyway!

A while ago I got a chance to buy some tooling that used to belong to a now defunct Norwegian manufacturer that did work as part of the "trade agreement" when the Norwegian Airforce bought all their F16 aircrafts, so in return some of the parts for the aircrafts were made in Norway and exported to the US. Anyway, they guy I visited was retiring and cleaning out his garage and he sold me 4 Chicago Pneumatic 214 rivet squeezers and a cardboard box of rivets. I'm not sure where to start. All the rivets are ones that would need to be annealed and I don't have that capability in my garage at the moment. So my plan is to order some softer rivets from the US to learn with. Now, I didn't get any sets except then what's on there so the first question is, do the adjustable rams I've seen for sale fit the CP 214? If so I guess that would be good start as well because I have no idea what material thickness and which of the rivets in the box was used with which yoke/set. Any suggestions for a set of sets that are ok and not too expensive?

unKU9lj.jpg

This is just a skill that looks like fun to learn the basics off, and any real life usage will be cosmetic / non-critical applications.

Moderator: feel free to remove this if it's too off topic / silly or you're sick of non-rv builders posting here.

Last edited:
CP 214

Those squeezers look like the standard type we use to build RVs. The adjustable set holders should work fine in them, and I bet the replacement yokes we use from Cleaveland, Brown, yard house and other places would work just fine. As for the rivets, we use AD 3 and AD4 (3/32 and 1/8 diameter) in various lengths. The head styles we use are 470 (button head) and 426 (100 degree flush head) be careful asking for "soft" rivets, as you can find A (opposed to AD) rivets. A type are soft and sometimes used for non critical fiberglass tips or cowlings because they take less pressure to set and are less likely to damage the fiberglass part. The AD rivets are hard, and the heads contain a single dimple, where the A are soft and contain no dimple.

I am no expert so take this information at your own risk

CP-214

Great find. I don't suppose you have any interest in selling one of those? I am 95% sure the tool bodies are all the same and the yokes are interchangeable. Let me know. Thanks!

Back