What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exterior Handle

backcountry

Well Known Member
Whenever the canopy is closed and latched there isn?t a hand hold available to safely get off the wing
A week ago this past Thursday I fell trying trying to get off the wing.
Has anyone installed an exterior handle?

Whenever the canopy is closed and latched there isn?t a hand hold available to safely get off the wing
A week ago this past Thursday I fell trying trying to get off the wing.
Has anyone installed an exterior handle?

I?ve been flying rented Sling 2s. One has an exterior handle; the other doesn?t. The handle makes it much easier to get onto and off the wing when the canopy is latched. I don?t see any difference between the two planes, other than the handle. But I realize the thing you?re probably wondering is how the handle was secured from within the fuselage. If you don?t get an answer here from an RV12 owner, try calling The Airplane Factory in Torrance (aka the Sling Pilot Academy) ? the Sling importer ? and ask what was done to secure the handle on its plane.

Hope you weren?t hurt when you fell.

One thing you can do is cut a piece of the white wing walk material and place it in a convenient place on the side of the fuselage. No, you can't grab it, but you can put your hand on it (rings and all) and use it as a point of contact to steady yourself as you climb in and out of the airplane.

without seeing what the Sling's handle looks like.. I can imagine one, maybe similar (size) of the one on the instrument panel of the 12iS, that is riveted to the longeron.. ?

How about suction cups made for lifting glass? Harbor Freight and home improvement stores sell them.
Both single and dual cups are available.
image_18136.jpg

Back