What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Napa and Sonoma Valley

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
We are planning a trip up to wine country this summer in mid August. I am looking for an RV friendly airport recommendation, accommodations and things to do (other than drink wine!)
Any suggestions?

Recomendation.

You can visit us at Petaluma (O69). We have a number of RVs including mine (under construction). I can make recommendations depending on your preferences. I will send a PM.

Jim Swanson
RV 9A (Someday)

Angwin-Parrett Field

I have to say, it's been been quite a while since I've flown there but I used to fly to Angwin-Parrett Field (2O3) in my Aeronca Sedan. The airport is pretty cool at the top of a hill. It's run by a college who used to rent cars for cheap. It's a short drive down the hill to the town of Calistoga. Calistoga is known for its quaintness, mineral water, Old Faithful of California geyser, mud baths, and colonics (no thank you).

It's worth a phone call to see if they still have cheap airport cars. If not, I think there is an Enterprise nearby. It's worth having lunch in Calistoga and taking a look at Old Faithful.

Livermore KLVK has three and a half flying RV-10s (the half is here only in the winter). Inexpensive tie downs. There are a number of local wineries. Wente has a good golf course and excellent restaurant. Airport has a city run golf course. Rental car is Enterprise. Napa is an hour's drive. Lots of hotels and restaurants within 10 miles, moderately priced. Pleasanton is the end of the BART line in case you want to go to San Francisco.

Napa KAPC is of course at the south end of Napa valley. GA friendly, has rental cars. Hotels are expensive in August. Traffic up the valley is a two lane road, jam packed on summer weekends.

Santa Rosa KSTS is GA friendly, okay restaurant on the field, rental cars.

Mendocino is a great place to visit but the airport (Little River, KLLR) is somewhat lacking in services. Rental cars need to be arranged in advance, I think Hertz or Enterprise in Ft. Bragg will leave a car for you. Highly recommend a drive up to Ft Bragg, or south, on highway 1 along the Pacific. Or, drive south east to Boonville, lots of wineries. Boonville has a vfr only airport but no ground transport.

Two runways at the Napa Airport

Just a heads up, there are two runways at the Napa airport right next to each other. A Left and Right. When you are lining up, make sure you heard the tower's instruction about which one you are using. It will save you a phone call when you get on the ground. Don't ask me how I know that!

Lots of stuff to do there and I agree that Petaluma is a fun place to visit. If you can get out to the coast, it is beautiful. Maybe a flight up to Sea Ranch. Just watch the wind. Have fun

Livermore KLVK has three and a half flying RV-10s (the half is here only in the winter). Inexpensive tie downs. There are a number of local wineries. ...
And the addition of access to the bay area via BART.
Also From KCCR... but no wineries in Concord...

Napa valley.....then on to Washington?

Bill

If you are into touring wineries, pm us and will send you some must see wineries and some great tours.

Hopefully you will head north after that and land S40, the hub of Washington wineries....you then can post a unbiased opinion of your favorite wines and wineries:)
You can also inspect the RV 10 being built in Prosser and give the builder a few pointers...or maybe tell him to start over:)

Enjoy your trip!

We flying up there and have only flown into KSTS (http://www.airnav.com/airport/KSTS). We have only used Snoma Jet Center because they are GREAT. I have no idea how the folks that fly jets get treated but in my little RV6 they treat us like a king and queen. We rent a car through them and they drive it right up to the plane and help you unload and tie down. I ask about where there self serve pumps are and and they so far have always given me full service at self service prices. Always friendly, always helpful always a pleasure. OK by "always" I mean 3 or 4 times.

There are many places to stay but two that we have really enjoyed are Auberge on the Vineyard. We have stayed there twice. Roxane is an outstanding host and the three corse breakfast is ? awesome. You can find deals for this place at groupon, living social sights like that. Or just call and ask. Been there twice and will be back. If you go get Roxane to set up a tour of the Skypines Vineyard and Bob Dog Wines. They unlike a lot of places let you walk throughout the vineyard's and if you are there during the right time of year will let you pick grapes for testing or help trim the vines. Friendly place.

Roxane at Auberge is a little more helpful at picking vineyards and places to see but we like both places.

We have also stayed at the Old Crocker Inn. Another great place. Get the owner talking about Akitas (theres died not long ago) and they really open up.

Not the only airport and not the only places to stay but they work for us.

Last edited:
Bill, welcome to my backyard.
All great suggestions, my favorite would be Petaluma, an uncontrolled field
and very GA friendly or Napa, right in the heart of the Carneros region.
In Napa or Petaluma you'll be minutes away from all that the Napa and Sonoma Valley have to offer. Napa and Yountville have also become world famous dining destinations along with their fabulous Cabernet.
No matter which way you go you can't go wrong.
Lots of Rv folks at all the airports mentioned.

Jack,
We are going to be in Hood River and Bend prior to Sonoma, so we will try to give you a call and stop by and see your project. We might even be inclined to try some Washington wine! I believe the dates are around the weekend of the 10th of August.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and info, I think the Petaluma airport looks the most friendly of all. Just need to figure out the rental car situation. It does sound like it may be crowded in August.

I would like to see half moon bay and Big Sur as part of this trip. Half Moon sounds like a neat place for a fly in lunch.

Ernst, Where do you call home?

Concord CCR

Home base in Concord.
Half Moon Bay is an excellent place for lunch and certainly offers some great sights, Golden Gate Bridge and the city of San Francisco.
Half Moon Bay is home to the best fish and chips as well as a number of other restaurants within walking distance of airport parking. All those choices are literally within a couple of hundred yards of south end parking.
It's also home to a very interesting crowd of experimenters including my good friend Jae and his RV-10.
Summertime has Half Moon Bay fogged in a lot of times but opportunities always open up at least by mid day and the same is true for many of the airports located along the coast. Always gorgeous when the sun is out and still charming when the fog rolls in.
Don't want to bud in on your trip but let us know if you have time to meet for lunch when you get close.

I left Petaluma off my list because, to the best of my knowledge, they have no rental cars. KSTS (Santa Rosa) is pretty close to Petaluma, and has cars for sure. I'd call Petaluma "quaint".

Half Moon Bay (KHAF): As mentioned, taxi as far south as you can get to the more or less unofficial parking area. Follow the trail thru the woods to the harbor and restaurants. There is a cafe by the official parking area. If you have an IFR LPV Wass navigator you can usually get in when it's overcast. Otherwise hope for VFR.

Ernst,
I'd love to meet up for lunch maybe Half Moon? I'll PM you when the trip becomes more firm on the dates

Hosting EAA Travelers

Bill, We have our own private area at Sonoma County Airport/Charles M Shultz/Santa Rosa Airport. What more could you ask for, an airport with three names. We have plenty of parking at EAA and would be happy to host you and get you to your rental car. The airport is 20 minutes from the redwoods and 35 minuted to the rugged Sonoma county coast and totally surrounded by winerys and vineyards. Also would like to meet you and Ernie for lunch at Half Moon Bay if you do that.

Steve

Steve,
Thanks for the nice offer and response. Do you have any idea if there are any t-hangers for rent for a few days? It sure sounds like a nice set-up for your chapter. There is no doubt that STS has all the facilities! I'd love to do a group fly-in to half moon!

Back