What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

UAvionix Echo

No. To generate a report you should be in ?rule? airspace - airspace where, by rule, adsb-out will be required in Jan. I flew above 10000?, and inside a Mode C veil, but never talked to anyone, and squawked 1200 the whole time. Got a report and a rebate just fine. Turn anonymous mode off.

thanks, I was starting to figure that was the case. I think I'm going to blast off, fly over KGSO's airspace for a while and see what happens.

PAPR time?

I'm homing in on the proper transponder threshold setting.The only issue I've had is the barometric altitude. I got some good advice from Uavionix to monitor that number with the app while reducing the threshold 50-75 at a time, watching for when it "populated." It did but then would drop out so I kept lowering it until the baro alt number stayed stable.

My issue is how to put the time into the papr report. I want the report to start at 1445 zulu (when the baro alt stabilized) but when I put that time into the form the report gives me the entire flight. I know I'm missing something basic, but what is it?

thx

I do not think you can request certain times. You always get data from the entire flight closest to the time (Z) you entered.

I'm homing in on the proper transponder threshold setting.The only issue I've had is the barometric altitude. I got some good advice from Uavionix to monitor that number with the app while reducing the threshold 50-75 at a time, watching for when it "populated." It did but then would drop out so I kept lowering it until the baro alt number stayed stable.

My issue is how to put the time into the papr report. I want the report to start at 1445 zulu (when the baro alt stabilized) but when I put that time into the form the report gives me the entire flight. I know I'm missing something basic, but what is it?

thx

Yeah, that happened to me to. But IT DOES ask for a very specific zulu time on the report. But you WILL get the entire flight time. Government:confused::confused: ( Make sure you put a colon between the hour and the minute. ie 19:35, not 1935) (I just picked the time that was midway between my flight.)

Last edited:
Success

My Echo which is mounted on the GRT Safe-Fly 2020 has now generated two or more PAPRs with no red boxes.

I forget what threshold setting was finally needed but it was 1000 or close to that. Uavionix advised me that there is no advantage to going any lower.

My only connections are power, ground, GPS antenna (came with GPS) and ADS-B antenna (came with Echo, included right angle adapter but needed cable which I ordered to customer length. It is not wired to the EFIS's nor the transponder (327).

While the debugging should not have been necessary, I am quite satisfied with the equipment and I have the power connected to the switch/breaker for my left EFIS so it is always on while flying.

That is the end of my story. I hope it encourages some of you to go that way or with other products from uAvionix for the same purpose. I have no connection with them whatsoever and this is unsolicited. I am willing to have PM conversations if anyone needs that.

Yeah, that happened to me to. But IT DOES ask for a very specific zulu time on the report. But you WILL get the entire flight time. Government:confused::confused: ( Make sure you put a colon between the hour and the minute. ie 19:35, not 1935) (I just picked the time that was midway between my flight.)

The only reason to specify a time, is if you have more than one flight on a particular day. I routinely leave the time off and am able to receive a PAPR. Each PAPR covers one entire flight.

My Echo which is mounted on the GRT Safe-Fly 2020 has now generated two or more PAPRs with no red boxes.

I forget what threshold setting was finally needed but it was 1000 or close to that. Uavionix advised me that there is no advantage to going any lower.

My only connections are power, ground, GPS antenna (came with GPS) and ADS-B antenna (came with Echo, included right angle adapter but needed cable which I ordered to customer length. It is not wired to the EFIS's nor the transponder (327).

While the debugging should not have been necessary, I am quite satisfied with the equipment and I have the power connected to the switch/breaker for my left EFIS so it is always on while flying.

That is the end of my story. I hope it encourages some of you to go that way or with other products from uAvionix for the same purpose. I have no connection with them whatsoever and this is unsolicited. I am willing to have PM conversations if anyone needs that.

Good info and I greatly appreciate the report hevansrv7a!

Success with a mode S transponder

Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES). I decided not to upgrade the transponder. Some of the uAvionix documentation does not mention using a mode S non-extended squitter transponder. Other uAvionix documentation says it works. A call to uAvionix verified that I should be OK.

It worked on the first flight but red-boxed 12% on the Baro-alt with the default threshold of 1550. Setting the threshold to 1200 fixed that issue. I am a happy camper. Both IN and OUT working perfectly.

Kudos to uAvionix.

Pictures of installation?

Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES).

Kudos to uAvionix.

Hi! Do you mind sharing some pictures of your echoUAT if you have it?
I?m planning on installing one next year, but trying to have everything ready to do so.
Thank you.

Sorry forgot to take photos

After I buttoned it up, I realized I had not taken photos. Later. But the installation is really simple as the Echo is so very small, so finding a mounting location is easy. I just mounted it on one of the support sheet metal parts at the rear of the radio stack. Then ran the RG400 almost straight down to the monopole antenna, which was placed a few inches inboard of the left fuel tank vent. Total RG400 was only 33 inches, so near minimum loss in the cable.

I did drill the panel and mounted an additional circuit breaker for the Echo and its Sky-FYX-ext GPS.

Overall, the issues were minimal. Only red-box was the Baro Alt, and thanks to all here on VAF, I sort of expected the need to change the Transponder Threshold on the Echo. One adjustment and I passed without red boxes.

I wanted to thank the guys who have posted here. It helped me prepare for my Echo test flights.

It took me 3 test flights to dial my unit in and one call to Uavionix tech support. Lessons learned for me:

1) Follow the guidance int he manual, it's pretty good to a point. So in other words page 20-25 using the app and making sure the initial settings are in, and for me, page 34, because I'm using the simple "Legacy Transponder" setup and this page is the "application note" to set some of the remaining app settings.
2) The manual does not cover the "advanced setup" mode. More on this in a second.
3) Pull the airplane out of the hangar so the GPS can get a good lock and turn on the systems you have required to power up the Echo box (for me it's just my battery and avionics switch).
4) In your phone, make sure the wireless network "pingxxx" is chosen. No worries that your phone may show "! no internet" on the ping network. ADSB never gives internet, just ADSB, so that's by design.
5) Now open your Echo app that you downloaded previously, per the instructions on page 20.
6) You see "setup" and "monitor". Once your app connects to the Echo, you'll see some figures populate in the monitor page. Page 21-24 will walk you through some of the settings (and a visit to FAA.gov to look at your registration with your custom aircraft Mode S code). The displayed values (or not displayed as it was for me) that seem to be the types that may not populate in your "monitor" page, are the "Squawk" and "Altitude, Pressure". If these are blank, that means you have to change your transponder threshold. The only way into that setting is in your advanced configuration menu.
7) To get to the advances menu, go to "configuration". Then use 2 fingers to tap on the "echo" logo on the top of the page. Then scroll down and you'll now see input fields for transponder threshold. Don't change any of the other ones.
8) This setting starts at a higher value than would work for me. IOW, I had to lower mine to 1050 for the unit to work best. I lowered my setting 100 at a time until the transponder code showed along with the pressure altitude. Now, just because it shows does not mean it will pass a flight test yet. You'll notice you can adjust the settings and "send" the settings to the Echo. And there is a range where those settings will still show transponder codes and pressure altitude. But as said already, it's like tuning a FM radio with a dial. The settings along the high water mark and the low end, that display the code and altitude, are on the edge of working properly.
9) Bracket the values that work, and then pick a value in the middle. You can use numbers finer than 100 at this point. For example, 900 was too low - not showing values in the app. 1000 was ok on the low end, and 1125 was ok. But both of those values were the edges of the transponder reception by the Echo. when I'd change my transponder code to 1201, the app did not register it right away. At a range of 1025 to 1075, any code changes showed up right away in the app. I split the difference and used 1050 for my last flight, and then flew. Got a pass with all perfect scores at transponder threshold of 1050.
10) I flew two failed test flights early on not realizing the value of "fine ground tuning the system". And by the way, when I was ground tuning, I did not have my engine running yet. I was just using battery and avionics switch on. And no not for long, the exercise took about 3 minutes once I figured out how to "tune" the system quickly using the app. If it took longer I might have started up. Knowing what I know now I am sure I could tune one of these and probably pass on the first flight.
11) This is just my experience. There may in fact be far better ways to do it. I also want to thank David Wagner at Uavionix for talking me through some of this, especially the ground tuning trick.
12) Dave wants to remind everyone once you get a "pass" on your check (no red boxes) be sure to sign off your ADSB installation and also state the installation and test flight was IAW 91.225 and 91.227 and the date of the test pass. Print off the test pass and keep it in your records "just in case".

All the best guys, fly safe.

I installed an echoUAT along with a skyFYX external GPS source in my RV-3 over the last day or two. I had planned to have a complete G3x system installed by now, but things keep getting in the way and I?m never excited about taking it out of service for any length of time. I installed the uAvionix solution in such a way that it is easily removable if/when I get around to doing the Garmin system.

I found this and other similar threads to be extremely useful when it came time to tweak my settings. I received 2 red boxes on my first PAPR report yesterday... 100% failure in the Mode 3A and Baro Alt boxes.

Thanks to those who?ve blazed the trail ahead of me, I figured I needed to adjust my transponder threshold setting. I did that (ended up at 1125), and received a passing PAPR report on the next flight. In fact the second report shows 0.00% failure rate in every box. Woo, hoo.

The ADSB in works great, too. It seems to show more traffic and a stronger signal than my Stratux box ever did. It?s also really nice to have everything hardwired and more or less hidden. It?ll even be cooler when I install the G3x system so I won?t have to display traffic on my iPhone!

I installed the uAvionix solution in such a way that it is easily removable if/when I get around to doing the Garmin system.

Rod. No need at all for that. Your Echo will still be viable with yout G3X system! Leave it installed and working and then add a GDL 5x or 5xR ADS B "in" to the G3X install. I did this in my RV-3B and it works excellent. So for less than $1K you get more than most any other airframe. You will have the Garmin equipment covered by the GDL 5x ADS-B "in" data. That includes G3X and any Garmin portables or on Pilot app a tablet and/or cell phone. Meanwhile, you will have the Echo feeding ADS-B "in" data to any other portable, tablet, phone or app on the planet not made by Garmin. There is nothing saying you can't have two independent "in" systems on the aircraft and your Echo investment stays intact. Cheap, redundant and your airplane plays well with all equipment.

As an aside I would suggest installing the G3X GDU screen without built-in Sirius XM. Save that dough and then go for the GDL 52(or R) which has SXM music and weather on top of ADS-B weather and traffic with attitude. I used the portable non-R GDL 52 so I can swap between airplanes with one SXM subscription. I use external antenna for the GDL 52.

Last edited:
The echoUAT already provides in and out. No need for a GDL. The Garmin systems I?m considering will provide in and out without a separate box.

I?m just looking forward to having an integrated system. Not too worried about redundancy for ADSB in or out.

The setup options on the Echo are required. I have installed several of these for friends and can help. I'm on the Falcon RV email list. You can email me there, here or just PM. I'm local as well.

Maj
I am getting ready to install my EchoUAT today and just realized that I need a
cable to go from the short one provided to the antenna. Can someone please
tell me what connectors I need and/or where to order a cable from. I probably
need about 5-6 feet.

Thanks.

I am getting ready to install my EchoUAT today and just realized that I need a
cable to go from the short one provided to the antenna. Can someone please
tell me what connectors I need and/or where to order a cable from. I probably
need about 5-6 feet.

Thanks.

I?m thinking you?re talking about a cable to go from the short adapter from the UAT box to the stubby transponder-like antenna for the ADS-B in. If that?s the case, you?re looking for coax with BNC ends. Personally, I used RG400 coax because that?s what I had available in my workshop. The installation manual has a chart showing various flavors of coax along with the lengths permitted to stay below the maximum acceptable signal loss.

It?s not a huge deal to squeeze BNC connectors on coax, but it does require the correct crimping tool. If you don?t have easy access to the correct tool or the wire, I understand that Aircraft Spruce will make custom coax cables to your specification and length.

Hope this helps.

connector
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQRK5AQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cable:
https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Do...f=sr_1_2?keywords=rg400&qid=1577607844&sr=8-2

This assumes you have the proper crimp tool.
Here is the Amphenol assy sheet, showing the proper strip lengths and die sizes for the center pin and the outer collar:
https://www.amphenolrf.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1006/product/492/031_320_rfx_customer_drawing.pdf

Note instruction 5C in the Amphenol sheet. The cable will bottom in the connector with a slight "click". Make sure it bottoms fully so the center pin is correctly seated before crimping the outer collar.

Last edited:
SHiFTY RED BOXES

12/21 my first performance flight. All passed expect ICAO code which I transposed. XPNDR Threshold at default 1550, BARO ALT passed.
12/29 second flight with corrected ICAO code. Failed BARO ALT.
12/29 Email FAA and ask for manual review. They responded Monday! and said error was FID mismatch. Set FID to N number and all good. Can't find FID setting, FAA documentation says if VFR don't worry about FID.. whatever that is? Flight ID is best guess which will not accept an N number.
12/31 third flight with threshold at 1100 and still failed BARO ALT.

Two weeks ago I asked FSDO what to do if PAPR is after Jan 1. They said don't worry about it and maybe call ATC and tell them what is going on.

Great. Anyone know where FID is in the menu? Hidden, visible, or ?

12/31 third flight with threshold at 1100 and still failed BARO ALT.

Great. Anyone know where FID is in the menu? Hidden, visible, or ?

Flight I?d is NOT used. Using the echo setup app, it is in the middle of screen. No matter what you have heard, crank the threshold down as needed. Pull your plane outside, fire up the panel. If you can get interrogation replies (light flashes as in most transponders), using setup app enter 900 in threshold, save and update. Using echo app, go to monitor page and verify you see 1200 and pressure altitude. If so you should be good for another quick flight and report. You can play around with threshold by bumping it up by say 25-50 and see if all is good with same ground check. Probably good to only set as low as needed for a good report. EchoUAT is sniffing the electrical system for a specific micro voltage emitted from you transponder that carries your squawk 1200 and pressure altitude.

Been there

Thanks for the tips. I have performed those ground checks and passed. In fact I passed my first flight at 1550 threshold except for the ICAO number. Since I corrected that I have failed two subsequent flights. FAA said I need to correct the FID section.

Have decided to move to a non adsb airport. :eek:

Just don't be Anonymous

Just finished install of echoUAT-SkyFYX-EXT in my 9A. Transponder is a Garmin GTX330 (not the ES). I decided not to upgrade the transponder. Some of the uAvionix documentation does not mention using a mode S non-extended squitter transponder. Other uAvionix documentation says it works. A call to uAvionix verified that I should be OK.

It worked on the first flight but red-boxed 12% on the Baro-alt with the default threshold of 1550. Setting the threshold to 1200 fixed that issue. I am a happy camper. Both IN and OUT working perfectly.

Kudos to uAvionix.

The only issue with having a Mode S transponder is use of "Anonymous Mode" in the ADS-B will cause a Flight ID discrepancy, since the transponder will always transmit your tail number

Is anyone having issues with the Wifi connectivity? I'm planning to install my UAT-Echo this weekend but I want to make sure that it works well underneath all that metal. The reason that I'm worried is that a few years ago I moved my SkyRadar under the panel and couldn't get my iPad to connect. Put it back on the glare shield and it started working again. I hate that thing being on the glare shield so I'm looking forward to replacing it with the Echo. Assuming that it'll work.

Is anyone having issues with the Wifi connectivity? I'm planning to install my UAT-Echo this weekend but I want to make sure that it works well underneath all that metal. The reason that I'm worried is that a few years ago I moved my SkyRadar under the panel and couldn't get my iPad to connect. Put it back on the glare shield and it started working again. I hate that thing being on the glare shield so I'm looking forward to replacing it with the Echo. Assuming that it'll work.
My Echo UAT unit is behind the baggage bulkhead (with the SkyFyx antenna in between the seats on the seatback bulkhead). I have no issues with wifi connectivity with my iPad up near the panel. Can't imagine you'd have trouble if your Echo UAT unit is mounted even closer up in front of the panel.

Same location as Steve --

I get good WiFi connection even in my closed office 30ft away -- never had any problem with equipment in airplane.

Ron

Echo too

The Echo installation instructions also say not to turn on anonymous mode if using a Mode S transponder. It is only one sentence in the installation instructions but it is there.

PFD ForeFlight Screen

Does anyone can tell me if you have your iPad connected to EchoUAT wifi for ADSB-In traffic, when you open ForeFlight and have the split screen to show "PFD" style, does it act kind of attitude indicator also?
Just asking. Never flew with someone with uAvionix Echo installed. Thank you.

In order to get the attitude indicator in Foreflight, you need it connected to a Stratus that has an AHRS.

The Echo does NOT have an AHRS, so no attitude info.
You get weather and traffic on the map view.

Great answer!

In order to get the attitude indicator in Foreflight, you need it connected to a Stratus that has an AHRS.

The Echo does NOT have an AHRS, so no attitude info.
You get weather and traffic on the map view.

Thanks Dennis for the great and simple explanation. Cleared all my doubts. Appreciate it.

Does anyone can tell me if you have your iPad connected to EchoUAT wifi for ADSB-In traffic, when you open ForeFlight and have the split screen to show "PFD" style, does it act kind of attitude indicator also?
Just asking. Never flew with someone with uAvionix Echo installed. Thank you.

You need for it to connect to something with an AHRS like the STRATUX which costs around $100 and will give you GPS and AHRS for Synthetic Vision and Attitude Indicators.

Back