What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

NMEA fast or slow

dothetime

Well Known Member
I just updated my gps, NMEA fast or slow to Dynon D180?
Can’t find it in the Dynon manual.
Updated from an obsolete 496 to an almost obsolete 560
Thanks
Dave

NMEA

Thanks, but I’m referring to the Garmin 560 setting for the autopilot.
There are two, fast or slow.
Dave

Terminology confusion? NMEA usually refers to an RS232 format, where the speed (baud rate) is set independently (e.g., 9600). OTOH two wire ARINC data standards usually offer ‘fast’ or ‘slow’.

Terminology confusion? NMEA usually refers to an RS232 format, where the speed (baud rate) is set independently (e.g., 9600). OTOH two wire ARINC data standards usually offer ‘fast’ or ‘slow’.

It is not the baud rate. In the garmin portable world, the NMEA fast or slow determines the interval of how often the NMEA data payload is sent. It also changes the specific content of what data is sent in each transmission (fast includes fewer data elements). I once resolved a connectivity issue by changing this setting.

Larry

Last edited:
It is not the baud rate. In the garmin portable world, the NMEA fast or slow determines the interval of how often the NMEA data payload is sent. It also changes the specific content of what data is sent in each transmission (fast includes fewer data elements). I once resolved a connectivity issue by changing this setting.

Larry
^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

FWIW; use the "slow" setting unless you have a specific reason to use the "fast" one.

:cool:

Back