- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2018, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
I?ve got friends at sky ranch 18FD, J22 (16FL), and yellow river (FD93). They all have their pros and cons depending on what you?re looking for.
Curiosity question...FD93 is inside R-2915A. How do the residents operate on a routine basis? Do they phone call the controlling facility before takeoff?
Old 11-23-2018, 06:00 AM

There?s a couple of them in the restricted airspace. I believe the LOA says Be below 700? when comin in to the restricted airspace and no student training is allowed. They really don?t bother you. However, not recommended to file to one of those fields as the controllers have no idea how to handle you.
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-23-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark33 View Post
Shane,
I know there's grass field just east of Navarre, but I don't think it's really an airpark where you can buy a lot and build a hangar/apartment on it. Is there anything close to Navarre, Fort Walton, or Destin? I think there's also a grass field right by Niceville, but I don't know anything about it. Then there?s Sandy Creek (75FL) just north east of Panama Beach, but I think they require you to build a house. Where do you hangar your plane?

Mark
Look at Ruckel if you want around Niceville. They are actually taking names now for their new hangars, but last I heard it was stupid expensive. Vac has a plane there I believe and he can probably give more info on Ruckel but last I heard the waiting list was years and years long.

The Navarre strip is used for banner towing. Never stopped in and spoke to the guy but hearsay is he will try to charge you a $100 landing fee, even though it?s listed as public. Not sure how all of that works, but there aren?t any hangars there and doesn?t seem to be a friendly place to go. Never been to sandy creek, but I do know a fellow that lives there. Haven?t heard one way or the other on that place.

I keep my planes at Milton 2R4 as it?s only 20mins from my house and puts my house halfway in between the hangar and work. Rent is $187/month. We have 2 planes and the waverunners along with lots of tools. But if you aren?t working and are retired, I?d stay as far away from highway 98 as I could. The area is only getting more crowded and traffic is getting worse and worse with no real solutions in sight.

There?s nothing in ft Walton and Destin is always an option but not sure there?s any single unit hangars. I?ve just heard of $300 hangar rent to shove it into a huge hangar with a lot of other planes. Makes me cringe and just think hangar rash.
Aero Engineer, A&P
Old 11-23-2018, 07:38 AM

Shane,
Thanks for the information. So I guess to get into an airpark community anywhere in that area you?d basically have to stay north of Pensacola. I?m really not interested in just hangar space. I have my eye out for a friendly place that allows for a hangar/apartment to be built and NOT require an actual house to be built. I already have a house and I don?t want the expense or maintenance involved with owning another one. I grew up in Baton Rouge and the Pensacola/Destin area was always like a second home to me. I?ve always been a beach bum at heart so hopefully I?ll be able to find something around that area that I really like and that will be a fun little getaway that won?t break the bank.
Old 11-23-2018, 08:32 AM

Default Gold Hill Airpark NC25

Check it out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwzH8eC4ZOQ
VAF 2020 Donor
Old 11-23-2018, 10:10 AM

After living on an airpark for 20 years my advice is to make sure you understand what the CC&R's are (if any). Also try to get a sense of ALL the neighbors motivations are, as well as any POSSIBLE negative power over your life if new neighbors roll in. If you are interested in flying and pursuing a "live and let live" existence, make sure you dont have neighbors that are attempting to maximize property value at every turn... Odds are that eventually they're going to find something about your property that doesnt fit with their idea of "upward mobility" and you are going to have to defend your position. I'd also look at how the runway itself is managed. Are you all owners, or is the runway a separate legal entity? Research the pros and cons of every scenario. Also research what kind of easments are in place (airborne and terrestrial), specifically with an eye toward establishing the relative security of the airfield. It would be a shame to retire to a place and months later it gets closed because a nearby landowner dies or sells his land and the new owner wants to build a shopping mall.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C
Old 11-23-2018, 03:45 PM

Default Check out Massey Ranch X50

This airport is just 10 minutes south of Spruce Creek and is an hidden gem very close to New Smyrna Beach.
Paved runway and a shorter grass runway for pilots who want to save their tires.
Commercial hangers on the West side and residential hangar homes on the east side.
I have a 10,000 sq.ft wooded lot for sale at the grass taxiway for a very affordable price.

Cheers,
Old 11-23-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Grassy Meadows Sky Ranch Southern Utah

VFR almost every day, 4500 ft paved, lighted runway with fuel. 1-3 acre lots.
Great outdoor activities and very close to the best National Parks in Utah. Close to Vegas.

http://www.grassymeadows.org/default.php

Well worth checking out.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchflyer View Post
This airport is just 10 minutes south of Spruce Creek and is an hidden gem very close to New Smyrna Beach.
Paved runway and a shorter grass runway for pilots who want to save their tires.
Commercial hangers on the West side and residential hangar homes on the east side.
I have a 10,000 sq.ft wooded lot for sale at the grass taxiway for a very affordable price.

Cheers,
PM sent this AM.
One Week Wonder Build Team, OSH 2018.
VAF paid through 10/2019.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:04 PM

Live at The Duchy (5NC5) in NC near Chapel Hill. We have a 3500 foot paved runway. Great community. Great for retirement and if you are still working. Taxes are low. Close to great medical.