What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"We're legal!!!"...almost...kit #16 N612RV

meadeduck

Well Known Member
We got checked out today and got approved, but we have a couple of things to finish up. I didn't realize that we needed to have the Van's id plate completely filled out so we waited until after our inspection today. BUT, our DAR said that it needed to be attached to the plane and didn't need to be completely filled out. (our plane weighed in at 719 pounds without paint.) We're in the process of locating some insurance but should be in the air the first part of the year.
Happy New Year, Ya'll!
George and Meade

paint

I beat you guys to it; I went to the aviation section at Walmart and bought out their aviation Krylon krinkle coat...it was on sale...
(actually, we're going to fly it a couple of hours and then take it to a local paint shop that does cars AND planes.)
mEADE:rolleyes:

Good job guys. Been fun watching your progress. I'm sure you helped us too somewhere in the last two years as well. You won't be disappointed...thats for sure. I just bought a new pair of Zulu's yesterday and boy does that make a sweet difference.

Good job guys. Been fun watching your progress. I'm sure you helped us too somewhere in the last two years as well. You won't be disappointed...thats for sure. I just bought a new pair of Zulu's yesterday and boy does that make a sweet difference.

I fly Zulu's also. I love being able to use the cell phone and plug in my XM stero directly into the head set. The sound quality is much better. :D

...almost legal..

...and then there's the insurance thing. Since I haven't flown for awhile, I have begun my quest for (shudder) an insurance company I could afford. I found one at a price I thought I could afford, BUT, I have to fly 5 hours in an RV "A" type aircraft, which means a 12A or a 9A and I don't know of anyone that has that particular type aircraft for rental. Now what??
Meade

Call Jerry and Carolyn Belton (336-998-8611) in N.C. They are brokers and have been doing mine for years. The do my 12 now.

Also Ray Lawrence....

....in Sandersville, Ga 478 232 9560. He wrote my -10 for a great price.

For transition training, Jan Bussell in Orlando, Fl.

Res 863 467 9354
Cell 561 628 2105, if you can't find a local -6A or equivalent,

Best,

I fly Zulu's also. I love being able to use the cell phone and plug in my XM stero directly into the head set. The sound quality is much better. :D

I have to agree Larry...they are the best ANR's I have ever used...and you need ANR's in an an RV (or Halos). Plus I got the great deal from Tina who advertises right here on VAF.

Insurance stuff

I think what I've decided to do is let George fly a buddy's 9A for 5 hours, then he'll fly off the 5 hours in our 12, and then I'll get a local CFI fly with me for 5 hours in our 12. Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions.
Meade:)

almost legal stuff....

...oh yeah, the things that needed to be corrected were, a label stating the type of brake fluid used on the brake fluid reservoir, the data plate needed to be completed and filled out and installed on the tail of the plane, the check list completed and forwarded to the DAR, label the transponder INOP until we have it tested, and a label on the coolant reservoir stating the type of fluid used. After that, we can start the testing procedure once we're ok'd for insurance.
Meade

...oh yeah, the things that needed to be corrected were, a label stating the type of brake fluid used on the brake fluid reservoir, the data plate needed to be completed and filled out and installed on the tail of the plane, the check list completed and forwarded to the DAR, label the transponder INOP until we have it tested, and a label on the coolant reservoir stating the type of fluid used. After that, we can start the testing procedure once we're ok'd for insurance.
Meade

If you certificated as an E-LSA your DAR should not have been asking for a label on the Brake fluid and coolant reservoirs.

Seems as though each DAR interprets the regulations just a bit differently. My DAR required the transponder certification PRIOR to airworthiness and would not accept an INOP label on the transponder in lieu of the test. His logic was the RV-12 is E-LSA and without an operable transponder it would not be EXACTLY conforming to Van's S-LSA. A stretch, I don't know?? Hmmm!!

Seems as though each DAR interprets the regulations just a bit differently. My DAR required the transponder certification PRIOR to airworthiness and would not accept an INOP label on the transponder in lieu of the test. His logic was the RV-12 is E-LSA and without an operable transponder it would not be EXACTLY conforming to Van's S-LSA. A stretch, I don't know?? Hmmm!!
Technically the transponder certification is an operational issue. It has nothing to do with certification of the aircraft.

Many people build within an area where "mobile" transponder certification is simply not available. It would be an undue burden to require this certification before issuing an airworthiness certificate.

While an aircraft without transponder certification can be flown with a waiver to a place to get it done, an aircraft without an airworthiness certificate cannot be flown at all.

Last edited:
Back