What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What a Delight to Fly!

Martin Sutter

Well Known Member
This afternoon I got a chance to fly Pete Anderson's RV12 (the 12th one to fly). With 3000RV hours and stick time in all RV models except the 3, I think this might be the sweetest flying one yet. The control harmony is superb, very light, precise and responsive. If you are used to this kind of response it is a very easy bird to fly. Some one used to ponderous lumbering beasts might have some adjusting to do as they inevitably will over control this bird at first.
Visibility from the cockpit is outstanding as the cowl is lower than it is in any other RV and seating is at the leading edge of the wing. The cockpit is at least as roomy or better than the one in my 7A and the seats are very comfortable. Short pilots might need a lot of cushion behind their backs and possibly even rudder pedal extensions. Those of taller build are well accomodated.

The little Rotax is buttery smooth but surprisingly noisy in the cockpit. A good head set is a must. Acceleration and climb is lively even with two aboard and the little bird has no trouble attaining Van's published performance numbers. The panel fits the typical mission profile of this airplane perfectly. The Dynon Flightdeck 180 was easy for me to operate even though I normally fly behind GRT screens. For anybody who has flown other RV's it only takes a few moments to say "yep, it flys like an RV". Van's Aircraft has hit another home run with this one!

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Tech Counselor

So what can be done about the excess noise element? I have read on other posts about this as well. Are there mods that can be done to reduce noise, or is this just a trait of the 12 that we live with?

So what can be done about the excess noise element? I have read on other posts about this as well. Are there mods that can be done to reduce noise, or is this just a trait of the 12 that we live with?

I just use a good ANR headset like Lightspeed or Bose.

Last edited:

Some of it comes from the small air gap that still exists between the canopy fiberglass and the "hood". That has already been dealt with by John Bender I know and the rest of us will remedy as well. I agree...you need a good headset.

Martin's write-up was excellent Larry...and when a guy with 3000 RV hours (who built his first of many back in the 80's) tells you your plane flies like an RV, that just brings back that darn grin.

I wouldn't recommend Bose for the Rotax 912. Mine were great for my C-182 and other Cessna products but were never "right" in my Flight Design CTSW. Different frequencies or whatever. Sebring Aviation in Florida did some comparisons in CT's and found the Telex Stratus 50D to be the best. I replaced my Bose with the 50D's and am very happy with them. They have good active and passive noise reduction. The Bose is mainly active reduction.

Disclaimer: I have no clue as to if any of this carries over to the RV-12.

John,

Several of the RV people here use Halo's...non-Rotax...have you any experience with those and Rotax?

Pete,

I don't have any experience with them at all. They would be a simple, comfortable and inexpensive (comparatively) solution if they do the job.

Thanks John,

The initiator of this thread does so I've asked him to fly mine again with his halos and give me a report. It would save considerable money and "top of head weight.

I wouldn't recommend Bose for the Rotax 912. Mine were great for my C-182 and other Cessna products but were never "right" in my Flight Design CTSW. Different frequencies or whatever. Sebring Aviation in Florida did some comparisons in CT's and found the Telex Stratus 50D to be the best. I replaced my Bose with the 50D's and am very happy with them. They have good active and passive noise reduction. The Bose is mainly active reduction.

Disclaimer: I have no clue as to if any of this carries over to the RV-12.
I used the Bose in my 912 powered RANS S-7 ( a noisy interior, if there ever was one!). the Bose worked great ( nice and light too)- much better noise reduction than the Lightspeed headset in the back seat. Steve

I don't mean to turn this into a headset forum but for what it is worth, I used the new Lightspeed ZULU headset in my Rotax powered Highlander and it was much quieter than my original 20XL's and 30XL's. I loved them and could hear very well. I did the trade up program with my 30XL's ( I like the 20 over the 30's) and then I was able to compare them both. I would buy another ZULU in a heartbeat.

Comment by non-pilot

This afternoon I got a chance to fly Pete Anderson's RV12 (the 12th one to fly). With 3000RV hours and stick time in all RV models except the 3, I think this might be the sweetest flying one yet. The control harmony is superb, very light, precise and responsive. If you are used to this kind of response it is a very easy bird to fly. Some one used to ponderous lumbering beasts might have some adjusting to do as they inevitably will over control this bird at first.
Visibility from the cockpit is outstanding as the cowl is lower than it is in any other RV and seating is at the leading edge of the wing. The cockpit is at least as roomy or better than the one in my 7A and the seats are very comfortable. Short pilots might need a lot of cushion behind their backs and possibly even rudder pedal extensions. Those of taller build are well accomodated.

The little Rotax is buttery smooth but surprisingly noisy in the cockpit. A good head set is a must. Acceleration and climb is lively even with two aboard and the little bird has no trouble attaining Van's published performance numbers. The panel fits the typical mission profile of this airplane perfectly. The Dynon Flightdeck 180 was easy for me to operate even though I normally fly behind GRT screens. For anybody who has flown other RV's it only takes a few moments to say "yep, it flys like an RV". Van's Aircraft has hit another home run with this one!

Martin Sutter
building and flying RV's since 1988
EAA Tech Counselor

I have taken a number of folks for hops in the 12 and all seemed to enjoy the plane greatly. The non-pilot in this photo flew it from the right seat and emailed me later with this comment:
1010298515_fDerE-M.jpg

"I enjoyed lightly touching the controls and seeing it respond so easily, it just seemed to just float in the air with perfect balance"

So true, thanks Van's
Tony

Back